Photo

Murray Cod No More.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Limes

Limes
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Might be late to the party here...but livefish have some murray cod in stock atm...only problem is they say fisheries have banned them from importing into WA.

News to me but maybe not to others :((((

#2 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

thats the problem with fisheries - they dont tell anybody any information on whats going on....

#3 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

I know they do some great things,,, but jeez, in this department I'm developing a full blown hatred.

#4 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

It's a native australian fish though? I can't stand fisheries officers full stop, I do my best to make their job hard if they are dealing with me. They act like cops and probably smoke as much crack as our west australian police force.

#5 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

It's a shame that a lot of species can't be bought over from the east... Molluscs, shrimp, reptiles, Murray cod and many more species we can no longer order from the east.... It's a damn shame

#6 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

I'd say it's because they found that Murray cod in one of the park lakes but then why aren't convicts and brasillinesis illegal
  • ice likes this

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

Don't know about the convicts, but I think they've accepted defeat on the Brazil's.
But then again perth is riddled with gambesia, and we couldn't ship those.
The whole lots a sham with no proffessional structure.
Even shops devoting time and wanting to do things rite, still don't know if they're over stepping the boundaries.
Pretty clear to me it's just job justification.
Problem is,,, any one outside of the hobby doesn't care and won't support,,, where out in the cold up s h i t creek without a paddle.
  • ice likes this

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

dont have a problem with what fisheries want in or out but i'd like to know what is ok and whats not... too many grey areas... and not enough black and white... 

fishops are the perfect outlets to be providing information in the form of pamphlets to inform the fish keeping public.... majority of hobbyists visit a shop once a month or even more... 

so what about aquaponics - murray cod must be used in a lot of setups by professional people surely... another table fish off the WA market 

• ice likes this

#9 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:26 AM

Murray cod hasn't had much interest for aquaponics for the last few years for what ever the reasons anyway.
I've no experience with Murray cod at all, but it may be they swallow each other in confined spaces even worse than Barra maybe.

#10 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

Convicts have been legal ever since Cook discovered Australia.

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

Cod were ok to import with livefish until last season.
I dont understand the talk of grey area in comments above. Fisheries are pretty clear about the translocation of aus native fish outside of their natural ranges.
There is significant risk with cod. Personally I dont think they are hardy enough to survive or recruit in WA and that has been shown by previous government stocking programs that have failed in decades gone by.
The risk is though, they will outgrow aquariums and some muppet will release them and they could conceivably survive. They are huge, eating machines that would, in very small numbers, irreparably damage localised native populations of endangered species of fish and freshwater crayfish.
If you want a cod, complete a translocation permit.
I dont like the process at all either but it is the process. Good luck with it they are a pretty special fish!

#12 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

why would you release a murray cod.... eat it you muppets lol :) or give it to me and i'll eat it :)

that cod they caught in the waterway was prob the only one that survived when the government tried to stock them.... :)

yes they are eating machines and its also the biggest reason they would get fished out in no time at all.... only way a cod would survive if it was released somewhere where fishing doesnt occur.... as for getting established you'd need 2 to survive and get both sexes and hope to hell there are no redfin perch in the same waterway as they'd eat their fry in a jiffy... as would bream i reckon...  chances of murray cod getting established IMO is pretty much zero... otherwise we would be seeing them caught more often... like brasilliensis... mate caught five other day near womans prison... all around 15cm... in 30min while he was waiting for his mate to go bream fishing :) 

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:07 AM

Convicts have been legal ever since Cook discovered Australia.

And gambesia was even before that in context.
So crazy when you think about it,,,, foxes, rabbits, cane toads, blow fish.
When have humans actually ever made a good impact on anything.
Any good has always followed the destruction first, only to try and fix it.
Menace, scourges of the world.
Most intelligent primates, yet so dumb and so careless,,,,, greedy bastards.
One day, a event will take place and balance (fairness) will once again be restored.
Till then, keep taking and killing,,, "rock on".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users