Photo

Why haven't you joined the PCS ?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

i used to be heavily involved with the club years ago and i remember when money was almost non-existant , i think Matt , the president before me had to put his hand in his pocket a few times to keep it going , i have no idea how big the club is now but i think 3 years ago we had just under 100 financial members .

how is the club going now? how many members do you have and what is attendance at the meetings/auctions.

i must admit i loved the meetings , catching up for a coffee , talking about recent spawns , showing off new pic's and just catching up with a group of mates without having to justify it to the missus tongue.gif , and i appreciate some of you take the missus , but i like to give her some time to miss me hahaha

i will definately become a member when i get to a meeting ( and pay a IOU from 4 years ago hahaha)

and bring back a book from 4 years ago , how is the library going?

there will always be segregation in any club so i understand the "boys club" comments , but if anyones met me , i'm from the other side of the tracks and you just tend to hang out with who you like , 4 years ago i had close mates in the forum who wouldnt dare goto meeting because of the politics and i remember when i went to my first meeting i felt very unwanted and alone by the then committee members , thats why i choose to join the committee , because once i aquired the knowledge i just wanted to help people and steer them from making the same mistakes as i did.

all in all if the only thing you get out of the pcs is using this forum , i rekon it's worth chucking the $25 at it , because one day this site could close due to lack of funds.

love the club , can't wait to be in bloody perth when a meetings on , look forward to meeting new peeps and catching up with some old faces

cheers
Steve Green

#42 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hi Steve

QUOTE (STEVEGREEN @ Sep 6 2008, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think 3 years ago we had just under 100 financial members .

That figure seems bit high as the club was on the verge of folding three years ago and when the new committee was elected in 2006, it took several months to obtain the books and records which were rather sparse. We then set about the task of rebuilding the club and in the financial year 2006/2007 we took in membership fees which equated to about 60 members.

We now have 155 members made up of 101 singles, 25 family, 5 life and 24 concession.

what is attendance at the meetings/auctions

Auctions are usually standing room only smile.gif - they have become so popular that we now have 4 per year. Christine can tell you about the meeting attendance figures. The supper at meetings is now a catered affair thanks to Christine and Craig and proving a big hit with members.

there will always be segregation in any club

Not at the PCS! There are two females on the committee and several wives attend meetings and auctions.

i will definately become a member when i get to a meeting ( and pay a IOU from 4 years ago hahaha)

That's what a Treasurer always likes to hear! biggrin.gif

and bring back a book from 4 years ago , how is the library going?

The library is going very well - Aaron (Aquatic Dreams) is the librarian.

Hope you can join us at a meeting soon!

Lyn smile.gif

#43 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

There has been a few comments from people who has said that they wouldn't join as a club member and will not be able to get discounts from LFS sponsors, b'coz they live too far etc. There IS however, a shop sponsor called Age of Aquariums who run an online shop with an extensive range of products including fishfoods, substrate etc.. basically everything needed to set up tanks and keep it going. I have shopped a few times at Age of Aquariums and Ben at "AOA" has looked after me quite well. Their delivery is quite decent too (anywhere from 5 - 7 days delivery to Perth). They're based in QLD and can ship Australia Wide, and they're a PCS sponsor too! biggrin.gif

So if you want to join to get 10% discounts but live too far away from most Perth LFS Sponsors to benefit from it, I'm sure Age of Aquariums will be able to look after you! wink.gif
AOA website: www.aquariumproducts.com.au

Midland Pets & Aquariums (another PCS sponsor) can also do country deliveries too! This is what I've seen according to their website www.midlandpetcentre.com.au

Cheers!
Kevin

P.S: I do not work for Age of Aquariums, nor am I an agent for them, nor do I get funding from them. I only mentioned them coz most people think they live too far to get 10% discounts from LFS! biggrin.gif

#44 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Well i for most would say spending the $25 for the yearly membership is totally worth the goods and value of it. I was once a member afew years ago, back when Ian macgregor ( think that was his name ) matt and steve green were around, in fact my mate and i always showed up for the monthly meetings and auctions as well. To matt and steve if they remember we'll known as the raffle demons as we always cleaned up at raffle time. Only reason i'm not with a membership is because of a couple of factors and they were one the numbers really did start to drop, second during the auctions it was just simply the same fish over and over and you really couldn't pick up something new. But the main reason is due to the amount of sports i do, but after sticking with the forums for the past couple of years and reading up and seeing new peoples come on board. I'm actually considering repurchasing a membership with the club again. Even tho i'm slowly moving out of keeping cichlids and moving into keeping other species of fish.

When i had my membership, boy did i put it work at the sponsors/shops and they never refuse it too, infact they're more or less delighted to see members coming into their shops to use their membership, to purchase goods and fish. You'll never see a sponsor/ shop refuse it!

On a good note, it's good to see steve green back up and floating around again, he's got to one of the funniest blokes i ever did meet at the club. And do they still do the biggest muffins i've ever seen still, think they were from muffin break.

#45 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Flamming raffle DEMON * shakes fist * , to think i spent hours collecting donations for the raffle table and you just seemed to get 50% of em 100% of the time , good to see your still around too mate , providing i'm in perth for the next meeting i'll definately be dropping by and paying membership, debt's etc etc.

cheers
Steve Green

#46 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hi Zoltan

QUOTE (ZOLTAN @ Sep 7 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even tho i'm slowly moving out of keeping cichlids and moving into keeping other species of fish.

As you can see from the forums, although our main focus is of course Cichlids, we cater for all types of fish and fishkeepers.

Be nice to see you join again - our meetings are really fun and we have had some great speakers recently.

Lyn smile.gif

#47 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

I was searching for some Crystal Red Shrimps when I came across this forum, I joined the forum and I liked what I saw. I then proceeded to join the PCS, and I decided to go into discus. It was around that time when Midlands was importing some spectacular discus and was offering 10% extra discount if you preorder and if you were a member of PCS you get another 10%, making it 20% discount.

The discus cost $460, with the 20% discount it was made to $368. Think I made my $25 membership fee back in that day. biggrin.gif

Joining PCS had nothing to do with the 10% discount or the monthly specials that the premium sponsors have. (it's a bonus) It was that I felt every small contribution to PCS would help it help members and non-members gain something. Without PCS there will be no forum and I would not have boldy gone into discus or met some fabulous people, most of the PCS financial members I have met are very nice and decent people, there are some odd characters out there but everyone is different.

As a treasurer of an animal club, I know how every member that join benefits the club and also brings about a better understanding in which we keep and care for the hobby we undertake, it also brings people together from all sorts of ages, background, places and interests.

Keep up the good work PCS

biggrin.gif my 2cents

#48 Grumpysmurf

Grumpysmurf
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

Just to add my 2c. Reasons I haven't joined...

Mostly - as some have already commented, it is not easy to join! For me, the membership is something I remember to think about once in a long while and when I do, and come to this forum, the information is hard to find, and then the process takes that extra effort! I know about the PCS Membership post - but that page has 3 issues;
1. It is not as easy to find as it could be (I know, I am blind!)
2. It requires a cheque (with snail mail) etc
3. or to contact Edelia, the treasurer (sorry, who is Edelia?)
If there's a simple online form to fill out, and a link to Paypal or the direct deposit detail is there, then it will make things easier.

Secondly, there should be more auction! As often, a meeting on how to keep planted tank is of no interest to a Tropheus keeper. Whereas an auction would have something for everyone.

Anyways, having said that, I will be joining at tomorrow's auction

#49 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Grumpysmurf @ Dec 1 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there's a simple online form to fill out, and a link to Paypal or the direct deposit detail is there, then it will make things easier.

Secondly, there should be more auction! As often, a meeting on how to keep planted tank is of no interest to a Tropheus keeper. Whereas an auction would have something for everyone.

Anyways, having said that, I will be joining at tomorrow's auction

Glad to hear you are joining at the Auction. For others who may have similar concerns, it really is very simple: In the section of the post "Ways of becoming a club member of the PCS - Item 2: simply copy and post the required details listed here into a PM - fill in your information and then send to me "Edelia" - Treasurer via a PM. You will be contacted with the Direct Deposit bank information.

As for Auctions, we have already increased the number per year to 4 from 3.

We cater for all interests when we consider speakers for PCS meetings. A great deal of fish-keeping information is applicable to all hobbyists and usually we find we learn a lot from different speakers and subjects even though a particular subject may not at first be considered to be of interest to us.

Lyn

#50 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

it's not any single factor, but a little bit of everything:

1. registered members used to be able to sell stuff in off-the-wall
one day "the rules" got changed and my post got deleted with absolutely no explanation whatsoever. i could've at least got a 1st time warning pm or such? bit of a joke really..

2. this forum is slowly becoming more business oriented rather than hobby and it's sad to see certain ppl who are only in it for the money (ie. the age-old story of both sides agreeing to a bargain, then buyer gets pm from seller saying "actually i can sell it to someone else for more so who cares if we had a deal?"). actually this was the main reason that other perth-based forum (western cichclid something or other?) got rid of their classifieds in order to remain a hobby-based forum. since when does a hobby start becoming such personal gains for some ppl?? a bigger but not as yet biggest joke really..

3. the amount of attitude ppl on here give each other alone is horrendous. it actually puts me off just observing ppl act so uncivilized towards each other, thus not wanting to get involved in anything be it auction night or financial membership. watch some clowns come in and start talking trash.. biggest joke.. really..

all in all, these are MY reasons for not becoming a "club member", other ppl would, of course, have their own reasons too. where respect and equality are lacking, integrity is compromised and participation no longer seems worthwhile.

#51 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hey VietDragon

Cheers for the feedback. I'm sure some can relate and others may think the opposite.

QUOTE (VietDragon @ Mar 5 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. registered members used to be able to sell stuff in off-the-wall
one day "the rules" got changed and my post got deleted with absolutely no explanation whatsoever. i could've at least got a 1st time warning pm or such? bit of a joke really..

I believe you were given an explanation here - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=17274 and you brought the same issue up here at a later date - http://www.perthcich...x...ost&p=97846

2. this forum is slowly becoming more business oriented rather than hobby and it's sad to see certain ppl who are only in it for the money (ie. the age-old story of both sides agreeing to a bargain, then buyer gets pm from seller saying "actually i can sell it to someone else for more so who cares if we had a deal?"). actually this was the main reason that other perth-based forum (western cichclid something or other?) got rid of their classifieds in order to remain a hobby-based forum. since when does a hobby start becoming such personal gains for some ppl?? a bigger but not as yet biggest joke really..

I may agree with you here..... 75% of your posts are in the Classifieds. The forum as a whole Classifieds are at approx. 21000 posts (19% of total forum) followed by the Cichlid section at 13000 (11% of total forum). Not bad IMO. The issue of people getting ripped off or messed around by people making the biggest buck I agree with you totally that is an issue. It's something that would be hard to rid the world of (not just the forum) due to "human greed".

3. the amount of attitude ppl on here give each other alone is horrendous. it actually puts me off just observing ppl act so uncivilized towards each other, thus not wanting to get involved in anything be it auction night or financial membership. watch some clowns come in and start talking trash.. biggest joke.. really..

Would luv some examples of posts where this occurs. Out of interest have you been to an auction, meeting, bbq or similar?

P.S. - No hard feelings, just providing some factual info for peeple reading this thread. Not sure if you recall but we've met in person when I delivered some cichlids to your place.

Daz

#52 fishcrazy

fishcrazy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Mar 5 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would luv some examples of posts where this occurs. Out of interest have you been to an auction, meeting, bbq or similar?
Daz

to show these posts would be harrd as i have noticed while browsing as guest for the last few months the moderators are very quick to delete things even if just a potential misunderstanding and not let things ride out a little bnit to see if the involved members sort it out like adults or neeed to be babysat.. but other than that.. i dont like some of the sponsor stores.. iw ont say which.
or i would think again about my positin on club member ship

{S sorry for my typos. i am very computer illiterate and struggle to find the right key.. and forget to read before pressing send

#53 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (VietDragon @ Mar 5 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ermm... while it is somewhat true, there are others who try to lend a helping hand, might I point out the issue you had with your marine tank that was getting too hot, and I gave you some suggestions? http://www.perthcich...x...c=21466&hl=

QUOTE (VietDragon @ Mar 5 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all in all, these are MY reasons for not becoming a "club member", other ppl would, of course, have their own reasons too. where respect and equality are lacking, integrity is compromised and participation no longer seems worthwhile.

Again see 2. And I totally agree, there are some clowns on the forum, be they financial members or non financial memebers, I am a clown myself biggrin.gif As for other clowns, I tend to ignore their posts and carry on reading those worthwhile and try to help those that needs help. I dont expect a pat on the back or compliment, as long as I can help in some small way, to share some of my insignificant knowledge and experience, I am sure that one day that help will be passed on to another needy person. Even if it doesnt, I am glad to have helped out.

But in the end we dont live in a perfect world, and where ever you go it's the same thing, be it at work (no choice coz we need to earn money), home (cant do anything coz we are stuck with the family) friends (he's got a smelly breath but he brings the hottest chicks to metro) biggrin.gif Just sit back and enjoy some of the clowns, I do biggrin.gif No point losing sleep over it

#54 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

Without a classified section the forums would be a lot less active. Do we want that? Some people will always try and screw others over via pricing fish to high, saying I will sell and then changing your mind. But this is not just the case with this hobby but with life in general. It happens so deal with it.

Like Edward said many people who post in the classified section (selling or buying) also spend their time on the other sections of the forum helping others when they have a question/problem.

Sure some people arrange bulk buys of fish but it also helps other people interested in said fish to get their hands on them and as long as they are willing to pay that price (weather is high in your mind or not) then it does not matter. Everyone places their own value on how much certain fish are worth and what they are willing to pay for it. If they decide to make a profit (slight or large) well that is their decision. Should they some will say yes others no - it is a personal view but IMO as long as both parties are happy then no harm done.

The attitude? I do not see any “attitude” that really is a major issue, sure there is disagreements that sometimes cause words but that is the case in life – happens all the time with people.

IMO there is very few attacks against each other which some might class as quite surprising. If it puts you off so much then why do you keep coming back (you are not forced to be here, you make a choice)? It can’t that much or you would not bother being here.

“watch some clowns come in and start talking trash”? Any examples you would care to share?

In order to gain respect in the eyes of others you must earn it, it does not just happen because you think it should. Does not work that way. You talk about respect, well some might class using grammar (capitals at start of sentences, spelling of words correctly) respect. I know I do and I also know some other members also do, yet you did not show us respect yet you just automatically expect it from the rest of us :|

Just my thoughts

Ross

#55 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Mar 5 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey VietDragon

Cheers for the feedback. I'm sure some can relate and others may think the opposite.

I believe you were given an explanation here - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=17274 and you brought the same issue up here at a later date - http://www.perthcich...x...ost&p=97846

I may agree with you here..... 75% of your posts are in the Classifieds. The forum as a whole Classifieds are at approx. 21000 posts (19% of total forum) followed by the Cichlid section at 13000 (11% of total forum). Not bad IMO. The issue of people getting ripped off or messed around by people making the biggest buck I agree with you totally that is an issue. It's something that would be hard to rid the world of (not just the forum) due to "human greed".

P.S. - No hard feelings, just providing some factual info for peeple reading this thread. Not sure if you recall but we've met in person when I delivered some cichlids to your place.

Daz

hi dazzabozza, no hard feelings. i was careful in pointing out some issues in a generic manner and not singling any particular individuals out. therefore if i was to copy & paste examples where ppl are being uncivilized that would defeat the whole purpose. plus someone made a point of offensive posts being edited/deleted pretty much straight away so locating them would be quite difficult.. yes? maybe the people that unrealistically asked me to provide these "examples" should be asking a mod or admin instead.

yes, an explanation was given to me albeit after the post was deleted and only because i asked for one. is this to say that if i didnt bring the matter up then nobody would've said anything at all whatsoever? great customer service skills right there..

75% of my posts being in the classifieds (should i say 99% of those posts are from 2 years ago?) is unrelated and does not indicate how much information i access on the forum. if indicative of anything then it would be to do with ppl replying a great deal more when buying stuff and less when reading up on something or researching information.

anyhow, to the person that mentioned the help provided. i did show that i was grateful for the information received in regards to my marine tank, and i do believe i thanked the people concerned in that post accordingly.

i firmly stand with my own view in saying fish keeping should be more of a pass time and less of a business, i never suggested we should go as far as getting rid of the whole classifieds section because i do buy things myself occasionally. why do some people only see what they choose to see instead of the bigger picture?

and anyway i did mention specifically in my previous post that those were only my views, im not trying to speak for anyone else.

#56 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

I think what people may misunderstand is that the PCS is a registered club that happens to have an online presence in the form of a forum. The forum is NOT the PCS.
So most of the things that were mentioned here are to do with the forum and its members, not the PCS as a club.

I joined the club several years ago for a number of reasons:
1. to support a club that supports my hobby
2. to give something back for the free services provided by means of advice, classifieds etc on the forum
3. to get discounts at all sponsor stores (I already got discounts with my local stores anyway)

In terms of moderating the forum, I think it is working well. Certain things I believe could be improved by means of software addons, but as a whole I think there really isn't much to complain about. Yes you may not always get a notification when one of your posts is deleted, this is purely a time restraint issue. But the majority of posts that are moderated by means of deletion have breached the rules by either:

1. bumping
2. swearing
3. attacking someone
4. being off-topic
5. being nonsense posts

I think it's very common sense. Stick to the topic, you can have a banter in "off the wall". Behave in a respectful, normal manner and you won't have any problems whatsoever.

#57 RedDevil

RedDevil
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

You are so right VietDragon. Checkout the "off the Wall" forum under "How much of a man" and see how a club member was villified by a Committee Member. It's not about the fish anymore for committee members like him.

And while people say that the Forum doesn't reperesent the PCS, well it does as it is the PCS website that we are on.

Hence I will never join

#58 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

Meh people are narrow minded in both respects or both sides of the coin in my opinion. You will never have the perfect website/forum etc for as long as there are imperfect people. Otherwise there will forever be a closing down of this an opening of that going on. Its a voluntarily run organisation. Until this site or any other hobby based site starts a recruitment program that filters candidates as well as The SAS do recruits than theres always going to be differences. Which is partly why I half laugh at threats of court actions as the Judge probably would do the same and say get over it thats life.

^^^ In that said thread my first thoughts were with what Den said. However it shouldn't be a surprise the reaction of the majority of people were the way they were its typical human reaction on a public forum. Right or wrong the response was poorly handled. True exoneration would be to speak to said accuser to sort issue and have statement recanted.

So this thread doesn't become locked I won't reply to any reference to what I have just said that has cause for further disturbance. I just hope people get my point. Which is suck it up and everyone stop letting your pride come first. I would of been off this forum a long time ago if I had let peoples words get to me. IT'S a public fish forum stop taking it so serious lifes to short, Its amazing how petty people are. And yes sometimes I need to take my own advice.

#59 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

If people really had such a big problem with the forum, they wouldnt use it.
So why do they not invest $25 a year in something they obviously enjoy using?
Its simple... they get it all for free now and are too tight.

Come up with as many excuses as you want, $25... come on, its hardly anything... half a tank of fuel

I became a member cos I got fish off here for $3 ea when they were $10+ each at a shop... paid the money off quick.

The rest of the excuses are a cop out, you enjoy the forum otherwise you wouldnt use it, and there is a huge amount of knowledge on here, better than most fish shops can offer.

JMO

Andrew

#60 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Very well said Andrew! I totally agree...
Even though some people "think" they can't/won't benefit from LFS discounts, then maybe they should consider the expenses associated with running a fish club/forum...

PCS Committee members are all volunteers and doing a great job, and i'm sure PCS doesn't get extra funding from the Government! Every little bit helps...

Cheers!
Kevin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users