Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chris and Karli

Chris and Karli
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hey we recently brought a Black Ghost Knife over the internet. He is 15cm long and on the stripe on top of the fish is red not white, just wondering why this is. As we have a Ghost Knife already around the same size but his stripe is pure white. We are new at having Tropical fish only been set up for around 8 months. We find we are learning more and more all the time but this has got us puzzled.
Hopefully someone can shed some light for us ..

Thank you
Chris and Karli

Ta!

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Gday

Welcome to the forum.

Assume u mean Black Ghost Knife? Can u provide a photo?

Daz smile.gif

#3 Chris and Karli

Chris and Karli
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

I cant work out how to post a picture

#4 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Red colouration could possibly be a very good indication of poor water quality.......Can you please post up your water parameters

Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Kh would be the basics......if you do not have any test kits (which i cannot recommend highly enough) then maybe ask your LFS if they dont mind testing your water for the above and ask them to record the results.

What does your maintenance routine involve? Do you wash your filter under tap water? What products do you add to your water? Do you gravel clean and how often etc......

Sorry for 20 questions but the more info you give us the better we can help you.......And as Daz suggested a picture would help

Heres how to do it....... http://www.perthcich...showtopic=17182

#5 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

A bit off topic, but I find the easiest way to post pics without chewing up your attachment space, is to have a photo host of some sort like photobucket.

HTH.

#6 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

I totally agree Ronny........just thought that was the easiest way to explain it.........either way if we can see a picture and have some test results then we can sort the problem out.

#7 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi there if when you put up a post or reply your interface looks like this. Just click on the highlighted button browse and find the picture you want to post then click upload. Just make sure it is smaller than 1MB and a supported file format the easiest will be .JPEG. Hope this helps

Attached Files

#8 Chris and Karli

Chris and Karli
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

We only brought him yesterday and he came like that. The one we already have is very healthy. We water change around every 4 to 5 days and don't add nothing to our water because when we were adding what the aquarium shop was selling us we had alot of problems and lost alot of fish. We feed blood worms and flakes. And we get out levels cheak regually and haven't had problem in the past 4 months.

I mean like the water the ghosty came in was extremely dirty and I didn't know if he has a disease or if he will lose the red over time. ?

Thank you so much for your help

Attached Files

#9 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

the red does look cool though tongue.gif

#10 Chris and Karli

Chris and Karli
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

LOL ohh my poor little man is sick

#11 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

Give it some time, if your tank water is good, it will recover from whatever toxicity environment it was in, I dont think there is any medication that can help to remove nitrite or nitrate poisoning.. I might be wrong though..

There is nothing cool about a sick fish.... The same with those sellers who colour dyes the fish to sell it coz it "looks cool"

#12 Chris and Karli

Chris and Karli
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

Well thank you for your time. I will keep everyone posted on how he goes. We really just hope it doesn't effect our other fish, and gets better sooner rather then later.

Obviously we dont actually know the sex we are just calling it a him. We are big fans of Ghost knifes and Bristlenoses.

#13 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

It looks like he is unwell, I suspect the red is inflammation. I guess purchasing over the internet meant you didn't get to view him prior to transport. It may have something to do with the conditions he was transported in. How far did he travel and how long was he in transit?

Either way you can only provide the best conditions for him now and hope he recovers. I presume he is in a quarenteen tank as you have only just acquired him wink.gif
Well oxygenated clear water at the appropriate temp, etc. And cross your fingers.

Good luck
Brett

#14 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Sazabi @ Feb 18 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is nothing cool about a sick fish.... "

huh.gif

Excuse my ignorance but I was only saying that based on observation and knowing very little about the specific type of fish. If that colouration occurred naturally in nature I am sure there would be those that share my point of view

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users