What Size Will A Kadango Borleyi Male Colour Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AquaQueen

AquaQueen
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi guys,

I have a approx 2inch kadango borleyi just wondering at what size do they most likely colour up if male? He is in a display with all other males some bigger, some smaller. Doesn't get hassled like a female would and pretty lively boystrous behaviour some times gets real faint faint bars but still no real colour. He has tiny bits of blue that shine through his body and tiny patches of yellow just behind cheeks n belly most of the time. just so hard to tell thought I would ask the experts. Any advise appreciated. Photo there but still hard for me to tell. What do you think M or F. Cheers.

Many thanks.
Leah

Attached Files

Edited by AquaQueen, 19 January 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#2 CubanB

CubanB
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

Not sure on the sex but my borleyi I had years ago was the last to colour up in my community tank. Was approx 8-10cm. Was well and truly worth the wait though as they are stunning fish once in adult colour

#3 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

No real size limit, probably capable from any size from around 6cm up. More commonly from around 8cm or so. This will depend on its pecking order in the tank as colour can be oppressed if dominated. Fed colour foods can colour up prematurely.

#4 AquaQueen

AquaQueen
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Oooo I just can't wait lol. He has yellow behind his cheeks slowly making its way to his body. Temple region slightest bit blue. I just don't know. Could be a lady for all o know lol

#5 Lewy71

Lewy71
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

I have the same question - does anyone know if there are any other little hints to guess juvenile kadango sex? Eg fin shape?

#6 AquaQueen

AquaQueen
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

This is him a month on.... heaps more yellow in body. Would you say male or female?? xx

Attached Files

#7 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

That's a 100%  male unless you have been using a lot of colour food. The darkening fins and spread of colour on the body says it all.

#8 Lewy71

Lewy71
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

I reckon it's a male. Speckles on dorsal fin & pointed anal fin.

By the way, I lost patience & took my kadango into Aquotix. They agreed it was female - pointed out her more rounded fins. Swapped it for an awesome young male. Thanks Aquotix.

#9 AquaQueen

AquaQueen
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

I reckon it's a male. Speckles on dorsal fin & pointed anal fin.

By the way, I lost patience & took my kadango into Aquotix. They agreed it was female - pointed out her more rounded fins. Swapped it for an awesome young male. Thanks Aquotix.

Thats awesome Lewy! Aquotix rock!

Yeah ours is def a male, his head turning blue and body def more coloured this week.... Past 2 days though I have noticed he is not eating (FFS! after waiting all this time to distinguish his sex!!) he is trying and very eager to eat but spitting the food out. Same mood swiming the whole tank, same food, no new fish or ornaments, water regime the same. Im lost, can fish just catch worms? We are hoping its just stress from  perhaps some aggression with pecking order and him colouring up (though I havent seen any, perhaps night time?) . Or dare I say it the dreaded bloat..... No physical signs as yet, but yeah a bit stumped and bummed after waiting all this time....... :( xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users