Photo

Led Repairs?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

I purchased a Dalua SS Freshwater 120cma while ago from Aquotix, but it's long out of warranty. It's diodes have stopped emmiting light, either due to moisture or possibily a faulty LED.

I tested the cables with a multimeter, and so far I’ve confirmed the while light power supply (4 pin) is outputting the correct voltage, but the moonlight power supply (3 pin) is only outputting millivolts.

The sticker on the moonlight power supply lacks info regarding volts/amps/watts etc. so I'm a bit at a loss in finding a suitable replacement.

The sticker on the white light power supply is 55V DC / 1.5A

There are 32 LEDS in total, of which 6 are UV.  The white light cable output 55v, which implies 26 x 2.1v LEDs wired in series. Being in series, a faulty LED breaking the circuit is likely the issue. Though I'm capable of soldering in a fresh one, I'm content to outsource to a sparky. Anyone got someone to recommend? I also want to get the shed wired up eventually, but that's for another thread.

I'm not sure it's safe to assume the UV LEDs have the same voltage drop though, so replacing the UV cable is tricky. Anyone got one of these units and able to check with a multimeter?

I sent an email to sales@daluaaustralia.com.au a week ago and have had no reply. A little disappointed in thier failure in customer service.

#2 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

Following as Dalua was what I was looking at for our next build, looking up the manufacturer, Id be surprised if they didn't offer a repair service.

Edited by chrishaigh82, 07 September 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

Contact Aquotix, they're awesome to deal with.

#4 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

I agree, I did mention it last time I was in there and was told they could line up a replacement cable for me. Still need to replace the suspected faulty LED though, and I assume the Dalua service centre is over east. I did ask Dalua if they had someone in WA, but... no response to my email.

I might just have a poke around Altronics this weekend.

#5 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

There's a guy who used to be the "service guy" for Dalua here in Perth (NOR) but can't remember if he's still happy to work on them or not...

#6 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

There's a guy who used to be the "service guy" for Dalua here in Perth (NOR) but can't remember if he's still happy to work on them or not...

Am I the only one that finds putting the term "service guy" into the inverted commas makes it suggestive.

#7 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

Big shout out and a thousand thanks to the Aquotix team. Took my light in yesterday, and today it's back and bright over my aquarium. Very happy with the speedy and professional service :D

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

Great news! I've looked at these lights and thought they were nice?

#9 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, it definitely brightned up the aquarium. I was previously relying on an 120cm ISTA LED  (which I bought at the same time, about 4 years ago) as the main light source, and though it's held up well for years and gives ample light to scare away catfish, the diffference in light intensity compared with the repaired Dalua SS Freshwater is significant. I also noticed some false pearling after today's water change, which didn't happen when I was just running the ISTA.

I'd recommend the Duala if you want your plants to grow a bit more, and the moonlight mode is nice for getting a peek of any catfish you rarely see during the daylight. Though my email to Dalua went unanswered, it's still a good unit, and if you buy it  from somewhere like Aquotix, they'll look after you B)

Edited by smirq, 10 September 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#10 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

Yeah, it definitely brightned up the aquarium. I was previously relying on an 120cm ISTA LED  (which I bought at the same time, about 4 years ago) as the main light source, and though it's held up well for years and gives ample light to scare away catfish, the diffference in light intensity compared with the repaired Dalua SS Freshwater is significant. I also noticed some false pearling after today's water change, which didn't happen when I was just running the ISTA.

I'd recommend the Duala if you want your plants to grow a bit more, and the moonlight mode is nice for getting a peek of any catfish you rarely see during the daylight. Though my email to Dalua went unanswered, it's still a good unit, and if you buy it  from somewhere like Aquotix, they'll look after you B)

I had a week of love from Aquotix also.  They are always awesome with fish fanatics however when I present with children the team are great with the little ones too.

We had a staff member (in our office) push our ISTA heater controller into the sump and my efforts to get our schego air pump to be totally silent led to it being water filled also. 

I bought a new schego as the first one was awesome however aquotix fixed my broken one for me.  Being fussy my heater of choice wasn't in stock and they loaned a cheaper water heater to see me through till the order comes in.  Always really generous with knowledge and help in the shop there.

As for my drowned air pump... I'm not silly enough to not run stop valves, what I am silly enough to do is put the air pump on a flannel under the tank o 100% stop vibrations.  In a water change the flannel got wet which the air pump sucked in and ended in a burnt out pump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users