Setting Up A Tropheus Tank

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

I'm setting up a 5 x 1.5 x 2 for some Tropheus (and some other tankmates) and was hoping to see some of your Tropheus set ups, get some advice and also see which varieties are around. I haven't kept them before, but have heard that they are best in groups of 10 or more. Looking to grow up a group of juvies together.

Are there any local breeders/importers/LFS that have particularly good quality stock?

What are some good tank mates that are compatible? I'm thinking maybe calvus, leleupi, synodontis (anyone kept petricola successfully with them?) and pepps.

What foods have people found to be best?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

http://tropheusfanatics.com.au/

#3 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hey Snakebite!

Tropheus are doing great in large groups so the suggestion of keeping 10 or more in the colony is accurate but only if you buy adult fish. 

If you decide to get juveniles I recommend you get large numbers (20+) as over a period of time many things can happen and so if you buy 10 and lost 2 because of whatever... you may end up with 4 males and 4 females in the colony which may not go well...  

Also you would not be able to see much action and behaviour in 5ft tank keeping only 10 juvies...   

I personally like keeping Tropheus in groups of around 30 per tank of 6ft . For me to see them in "action" chasing and bossing each other is an experience that not many cichlids can offer... but it is only my personal experience.

Tank mates? Tropheus will do well with any other African Cichlids as the water parameters are very similar. You need to remember Tropheus is Herbivore so as long as you don't overfeed them with meaty food they should be fine.

Any Tropheus tank-mate may struggle to get enough food as Tropheus will eat it all before any others will be able to opens the mouth ...hehehe.  It could be very challenging, but keeping them with species you have listed is possible.

I wouldn't recommend though..

I feed my tropheus NLS sinking pellets and Sera Flora, I also give them Brine Shrimp ones a week which they are going nuts for...  

You are welcome to come around anytime to see few different set-ups with variety of Tropheus and Tanganyika's in my fish-room. You can then observe the fish and you will see the differences in personalities etc..

#4 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Thanks heaps for the info maaxim. Much appreciated.
I'd love to come and see some of your set ups, it's a fair drive all the way down to Atwell haha, but probably worth it to see so many different types of Tropheus. I'll be in touch :) thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

I'm keen to see some T's Maaxim.

#6 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

I'm keen to see some T's Maaxim.

You are welcome to come around anytime. You are just around the corner aren't you?

#7 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

Yeh in Beeliar at the mo. Will PM U. Thanks!

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hey,

Hqve a look at this... not exactly a standard tang/troph set up but pretty amazing. http://www.perthcich...48372&hl=waruna

#9 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

That's actually really cool. I don't think I'll be having any plants, but that set up looks amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#10 s.green8103@gmail.com

s.green8103@gmail.com
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Strongly recommend using sand as a substrate. attached a photo of my troph tank. have 21 tropheus ilangi juveniles and 4 eretmodus blue spot in there. Attached File  20160515_113836_resized_1 (1).jpg   105.66KB   7 downloads

#11 Rachelwright

Rachelwright
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Hi all,
When keeping tropheus would you mix tropheus breeds? I currently have tropheus duboisi but interested in putting in some other types of tropheus?

Thanks

Rachel

#12 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

Hi Rachel,

Yes you can keep Tropheus in a community tank with other types of Trophs...

And so Tropheus black could be successfully kept with T.Duboisi or T.Annectens for example or T.Red Types like Moliro And none of them will cross breed.

For breeding you should keep large colony by themselves. There are many reasons why...
1. Tropheus in large colony will breed more regularly.
2. They would be able to establish stable hierarchy in the colony.
3. Mixed colonies will usually have more males in the tank so more competition and more time spend on chasing other males away from breeding nest instead of "attracting" females into their nests or fertilising eggs.

I will try to find a cross breeding Table and post it here shortly

Edited by Maaxim, 18 May 2016 - 06:13 AM.

#13 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

Don’t mix more than one variant from each of these groups:

• Sp. Black
  • Sp. Red
  • Duboisi
  • Moorii
  • Brichardi
  • Annectens

That is don’t have more than one variant from the Sp. Black group together, or more than one variant from the Sp. Red group together.

Be liberal with your classification, for example even though Ikola is now classified as Sp. Ikola, it was once classified as Sp. Black so I wouldn’t put it with any other Sp. Black.

Having said all that, in my opinion you are better off with species only tanks, especially when it comes to breeding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users