Summer Fishing

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

G'day

I know there are a few fishermen and women on the forum, with summer quickly approaching it mean I spend less time on boats and more time with my feet on dry land. Really looking forward to hitting the river and beach this summer.

What is everyone hoping to target this summer?

Been thinking about it a lot, and I've come up with;

The below 4 have to be on lures and in the river, not interested in using bait in the river this summer, unless I'm soaking one for a croaker.

50cm + flathead. Last summer I hit 49cm 2 or 3 times, very frustrating.
40cm + bream. On a hard bodied lure.
River mulloway - on any artificial.
Whiting - on a popper.

Off the beach I'd love a Hammerhead or Tiger shark.

If I can nail 2 or 3 of these I will be satisfied. If I can nail all 5 I'll be absolutely pumped. I think the flathead will be the first to fall (not that i should jynx myself before i start!) the mulloway on an artificial is probably a bit of a pipe dream at the minute.

A friend and I have been talking about rigging his tinny up with an electric motor and a couple of down riggers, and slow trolling some deep diving bibbed lures or even a livey with the electric motor (I reckon the outboard would be too loud), possibly even rig a gopro camera down there too and see if we could get a strike on video! How good would that be?! (mulloway).

What is everyone else gearing up for?

I think I have about 40 or so hard bodied lures that have never touched the water, have been busy collecting them like kids toys for the last few months eagerly waiting for the weather to warm up.

Happy fishing,

Alex

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#2 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

hi mate ,
i'm looking for my all time favourites ,
yellow fin whiting
talor
mulloway
and still trying to get a hammerhead on shore,come close so many times ,just put back the small ones but there's plenty around the 1200 - 1400 mark

#3 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Tailor are always in plague proportions in the Swan over summer time. I actually got sick of catching them last summer... but now I'm itching to get into a few choppers in the river on the light stuff.

I should have also added the unicorn of the river... The Giant Herring! Apparently they were in Cockburn sound about 2 months ago, but I missed out on the action.

Just on a side not, I got to do some river fishing in Fiji in June this year. Hired a yak with the mrs and trolled some bibbed minnows around in the process, Berkley fat dog was the destroyer.

Got stuck into big numbers of juvenile GT's, good fun in 2 - 4 kg rod and 8lb line.

How good would juvie GT's look in a big tank? wink.gif

Garlic shrimp - Where have you been targeting the hammerheads at? A mate got two in one night off city beach groyne last summer. Both around the size you mentioned.

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 September 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#4 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

1) Swan River Bull
2) Any shark over 2m (except a hammer, would be to hard to release on my own)
3) Tiger, any size
4) Sandbar or Mako, any size

Caught a few 1.5m Hammerheads and Bronzies from a metro beach last summer, fun but not much of a fight on the heavy gear. Hoping to hook an unstoppable this summer to justify getting a Penn 80 or 12/0.

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Nice one!

A swan river bullshark would be amazing too. What's your rough game plan? if you don't mind me asking. Something I've often pondered but never really put any hours into.

#6 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

dangle your dongle in the water

#7 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Saw a shark take a duck under Garret bridge a while ago, but with all the wooden piles it'd be pretty problematic to land one. Also, it's not like the river has an abundance or sharks and kingies these days, so I think it'd be nice to leave them alone. Seeing so many dead fish in the river this winter took the heart out of it for me. That said, species that swim in like tailor are fair game and always fun.

Haven't had a bonito in donkeys' years, so one of them I spose.

Used to get the odd hammerhead from Coogee jetty as well as the odd bronzey.

Never had a giant herring, but that would be something to aim at.

Mostly I'm happy if I end up with a good feed of things other than neighbor fish.

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Catch and release my friend.

#9 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Catch and release is just torturing animals with no good reason. IMHO people have no business trying to catch something they do not intend to eat.

It is as cruel as if I trolled the neighbors yard with cat toys topped with a treble on light tackle just for fun. You'd get quite a fight and I'm sure the cat would get over it...

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

As always, you are entitled to your opinion.

I love catch and release fishing.

You are completely contradictory mate. In one breathe you would like to aim to catch a Giant Herring, a fish that is known as a SPORT fish, in nobody's book is this a table fish, but disagree with angling for fun and sport?

You must also be the most successful target angler on earth! If you are so set against the pain that angling creates on fish, why fish? surely you are like everyone else that deals with plenty of bycatch, what about these fish? They don't count while your having fun catching dinner?

and on top of that your into shark fishing as well! deary me.

Your all mixed up, your posts have more holes then a slice of Swiss cheese.

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 September 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#11 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

It's not so much an opinion. It is indisputably cruel to stick a hook in an animal's mouth and the survival rate is not so great in many types of fish, but sure, knock yourself out.

Would I fish for a giant herring? Probably not. I enjoy the fight if I caught one? sure. I might even try eating it, just to see. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it; we are hard wired to do so, but we also have judgement.

We all have to eat, and fishing is never much fun for the fish but if you are going to eat the fish, then the thing has a purpose. If not, then it's just a cat playing with a mouse. Once I have a feed, I pull the plug.

Sharks are a common bycatch of beach fishing. I don't drag them up the sand, but I like getting as much of my gear back as possible. Had some nice mulloway and the odd giant cobbler on the same baits and gear. I'm happy to keep selected small sharks, too.

Bycatch: we all keep it at a minimum as far as I know. If most of a catch is bycatch I think most anglers would think it a waste of time.

Edited by Kleinz, 21 September 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

In your opinion, it is indisputably cruel to fish. Yet you fish?

If you have nothing constructive to add, refrain from posting anymore.

edit - spelling

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 September 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#13 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Peck, are you missing the point or just intentionally misconstruing what I said?

Yes. It is indisputably cruel. Hell, the way pigs are raised is pretty mean as well.

If you are eating them or intend to, then there is a point to it. If you have no intention of using your catch for food, then it is simply being cruel for personal pleasure.

I don't see what is so difficult about grasping that position.

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

My point is, if you are so dead set that angling is cruelty to animals, then why par take in such an activity? Do not hide behind the cloak of the the possibility of eating the animal which you have inflicted cruelty onto. That does not fly with me.

Basically, what you are saying is. It is OK to enjoyably inflict harm onto animals and subsequently cruelty, if at the end of the day you are going to eat that animal? This is what I am trying to grasp.

So your mind set, is that, your practice of killing and eating all the fish you catch (or the vast majority) is better than someone like me, who often fishes for the enjoyment that fishing brings me? I love watching fish swim off to fight another day.

Don't try to be condescending towards me mate. It will get you as far as a car with no fuel. If you are so concerned with animal well fare (fish), then why not bypass the cruelty, eat aquacultured fish? Or even better become a vego.

What planet do you live on? where you can't buy aquaculture produce? or fish that have been caught without a hook? YOU are by your own admission cruel to animals! do not try force your circular logic onto me. I'm not sure if your trying to justify your enjoyment of fishing to me or yourself? Personally fishing is not the only way for you to gain access to seafood.

Get off your high horse.

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 September 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#15 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Never had a giant herring, but that would be something to aim at.

Would I fish for a giant herring? Probably not. I enjoy the fight if I caught one? sure. I might even try eating it, just to see. There's nothing wrong with enjoying it; we are hard wired to do so, but we also have judgement.

Something to aim at. But not something you would actively try and do?

Correct, we have judgement. By your own judgement. You would prefer to eat a fish, that is known to be bad eating, just to try it? What is the point in killing a fish, for no reward?

You are correct in the sense that, a lot of deepwater species, suffer from barotrauma. I rarely fish in more than about 15m of water, because of this, I always carry a release weight on board regardless of this. I crush barbs on lures when I know I'm fishing for fun. I do my best to be a responsible angler.

Your poor justification, is just that.

#16 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

Garlic shrimp - Where have you been targeting the hammerheads at? A mate got two in one night off city beach groyne last summer. Both around the size you mentioned.
[/quote]

hi Peckoltia ,hammer heads any where along preston beach/mylup and also north side of two rocks reefs.bronzies at piperdini at usually very hot and still weather tho otherwise you just hook up rays and they're a pain in the ass.
last summer i saw heaps of people trawling for talor behind their kyaks,looked like fun,cheers,Con.

Edited by garlic shrimp, 21 September 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#17 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Aquaculture is a pretty wasteful thing in terms of footprint. Also, fish raised in pens tend to have pretty low omega 3 levels, so not so good for us.

I'm not interested in being a vego, but just because I don't believe in torturing stuff gratuitously doesn't mean I should be. It's not one or the other. There's nothing wrong with eating meat but not gratuitously increasing the suffering. Line fishing is a pretty good way of getting fish solo without a great deal of bycatch. Certainly better than most, and most of the more efficient ways involve a lot of money or are illegal ie trap fishing

Herring..Hey, if I caught it, I'd give it a go. Taste differs for different people. IMHO perch is superior to trout and trumpeter isn't such a bad fish, but I think trevally is horrid. No way to tell unless you try.

Have you ever considered dropping a lure/bait in your tank? If not, why not? I reckon a PB would fight well on light gear and a decent size motoro could pull like a train over the 8 foot length of your tank...

Also, in the off season would you consider trolling a lure at the dog park? You aren't going to eat any of those, and I reckon the fun would be equal if not better! Obviously there would be dull spots when those Maltese keep pecking at the bait and won't take it, or those sullen staffies just sit down and won't move; just look at you with sad brown eyes... kind of like when a stingray hugs the bottom and you can't shift it.
If you hooked up a heeler or kelpie, they could nearly spool you, and I guarantee there would be some spectacular jumps. If there was an Akita or the like there, you could try but unless you had the heaviest gear they would just bust you off.

You know you want to...

#18 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Peck a few of my mates are bream crazy always a competition with them, heres one of my old boss/mate's I got my tank from. A horse 45 cm caught at Canning Bridge

#19 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Sep 21 2012, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice one!

A swan river bullshark would be amazing too. What's your rough game plan? if you don't mind me asking. Something I've often pondered but never really put any hours into.

Not a whole lot of info out there (specifically on the swan) but going by what I've read about them in Brisbane/Florida it seems that in spring there should be some larger females coming in to pup (so avoid those). In summer the little ones are mostly right up the river, further up than most would think, plus all the regular spots where the news mentions the deadly GW's roaming the river. Autumn should see those pups large enough heading out to sea for their first time.

That's most likely common knowledge but I'll be picking my spots based on that and water temps, the width and depth of the river, and most importantly a safe landing spot. I think I've found the jetty where Danny got his a few years ago so will definitely be trying there plus the only catches I've seen backed up by photo's came from a small section of the river with a few different jetty's.

Failing that I'll be going over east to have a go in the Logan in January hopefully, should be good fun on the bream gear!

Catch and release for the win! Although it would be tempting to take a small bull home for the pond.

Sad that those who don't believe in sport fishing are destroying shark fishing in Perth. If someone really wants to catch a shark then ammo jetty/north mole are fairly consistent in summer, with the added enjoyment of seeing young ferals kill every single shark that gets caught by subjecting it to multiple stab wounds before it bleeds to death.

#20 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

I would have to say that a good size bream in on the cards. A nice flathead would also be nice, didnt catch too many this year but was about 52cm.

The best spots are ones with rocks and sand or sand with lots of drop offs such as meville, chidley point and point resolution.

Behind the WACA ground is a good spot for sharks as there is a nice channel only 10m from shore, usually has lots of bait jumping around said area as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users