June Meeting: Shhhhhhhhhhhrimp!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

Do you...

Have quite limited space for a new tank? Like peaceful, planted tanks? Like a new challenge? Tire of fish or want something to complement them? Like to use a magnifying glass when watching your pets? Enjoy  a snack that goes well with lime juice and avocado? Have a girl/boyfriend in fisheries that you want to see more often?

Well you better hustle on down to the June PCS meeting, where Ciaran will be talking about:

Freshwater Shrimp

red_sakura_shrimp_zps21c024ae.jpg8079714399_c90e8f7884_o_zps935e05fc.jpgArtemia_monica_zps3c440c89.jpg4c18cc0ac92df_zpsf4b43312.jpg4_zps751adc8e.jpgPrawn-Cocktail_zpsa23b8c41.jpgFKYT4L-Resized320x240_zpsf10da5c5.jpgtiger_shrimp_10_zpsc192f97d.jpgCaridina-serriatirostris-Ninja-Shrimp_zp1305788781984_zps4281f47d.jpgShrimp-Mascot-Costumes_zps39429cd7.jpgmacrobracium_sp1a_zps42fd419e.jpg

Ciaran has considerable experience around these cute crustaceans, and will be covering topics including tank and water requirements, varieties in the hobby- both native and non-native, basic shrimp husbandry, what they eat, what eats them (stocking tanks and compatibility of various tankmates), hardware requirements, how to construct shrimp armour,  breeding, recipes, compatible plants and tank scaping. That and much more!

And if that’s not enough, attendees will also be treated to:
  • Cam and Az's sausage turning prowess in the PCS kitchen – cool drinks also available, along with fresh coffee
  • The PCS library, with a huge collection of  fish literature available for loan to members
  • The cichlid and catfish PCS show table, where you can participate and/or view some of the prized fish of fellow members. Every entrant wins a prize!
  • Some cool PCS merchandise items up for sale
  • And of course the Sponsors raffle table, where you can win some fantastic prizes. (TBA)
And for June only:
  • The Shrimp Display competition! Winning shrimp wins a $30 voucher!
  • The kitchen will be adding prawn skewers to the menu: See the pet, eat the pet! ;)
 All welcome. Hope to see you all there – doors open 7:30pm & meeting starts 8pm June 3rd Rotary Hall Sandgate St South Perth.

#2 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

Anyone interested in entering either the show table or the 'great pcs shrimp off' please pm me with details.
Limited Tanks are available for the standard show table comp

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

Will the recent enforcement actions of the regulator be discussed, as well as any changes?

It seems like the keeping of non-native shrimp is being heavily watched and regulated making many nervous or out of pocket.

Adam

#4 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

There's no real update to provide and the presentation is up to Ciaran. But I'd bet my left nut that regulation will be mentioned or brought up by someone

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

So do you stock and sell shrimp? What are the risks to shops and individuals in keeping and trading in them?

#6 ronaldskitz

ronaldskitz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

I was in talking to Ciaran the other day about this and from what i understand (but this could change i suppose) he will be stearing well clear of any political crap and focusing on the shrimp themselves

Have a girl/boyfriend in fisheries that you want to see more often?

Hahahaha

Anyone interested in entering either the show table or the 'great pcs shrimp off' please pm me with details.
Limited Tanks are available for the standard show table comp

Whats the deal with the shrimp off? Cant seem to see any further info on it.

#7 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

It works exactly like the show table :) Best shrimp will win

#8 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

I wanted to make it like Thunderdome : 2 shrimp enter, 1 shrimp leaves, but the rest of the committee wouldn't have it. I had the tiny tinfoil swords ready and everything :(

#9 ronaldskitz

ronaldskitz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

[quote name="slink" post="315650" timestamp="1400197021"]It works exactly like the show table :) Best shrimp will win[/quote So no catagories ?

Edited by Kleinz, 16 May 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#10 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Best in show

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Cool topic. Hope I can get down there for it.

#12 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

And for those who like a feed.

I'll be putting on Roast Rolls and gravy!!!!!

Dont forget to bring your wallets for the PCS Merch as well. Some great stuff in now, the travel mugs are selling quickly and as Ive said before they are in limited numbers.

PCS CLUB MERCH Click Here

#13 rsevs3

rsevs3
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

It has me beat how I can work half the year and still miss these. Shrimp topic sounds awesome.

#14 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

So what happens if the fisheries bust in to the shrimp off??? Do we form an angry mob and lock them up?? Or grab our shrimps and run for the hills, every man for himself?? Hahaha

#15 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

we have no chance if some of the guys i know bring their best in lol

#16 ronaldskitz

ronaldskitz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

we have no chance if some of the guys i know bring their best in lol

Haha that the reason i asked about categories if someone rocks in with a nice BB theres no hope

#17 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Not necessarily.

The show table comp for cichlids at least doesn't favour more desirable species. Hence you can see a convict win over a red terror or pbass because it is a better representative of that type of fish. I'd assume the same will happen with this comp. That is if some one brings the most amazing chery shrimp anyone has ever seen, it should beat your run of the mill ss grade crystal

#18 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Who will be the expert Shrimp judge?

#19 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Brilliant! I love the post, you have made it sound super interesting. This makes me super keen, hopefully I can make it!

#20 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

I'm assuming the presenter will judge.

Androo is organising the details so can confirm all the details when he's ready but the idea is it's something a bit different that complements the presentation and that we'll do as a one off for a bit of fun. Well that's the spirit we're trying to run it in at least so serious shrimp nerds beware. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users