Fish Friends

fish cichlid

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Codiejoy

Codiejoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hi I'm new to both this forum and fish as a hobby, and just want some advice please and thanks :)

I've done some quick research but not too sure if I can keep a clown loach with the fish ive decided to get in the future.

With the research I did, I found these fish were most compatible together (and of colours that interested me). If you feel I am wrong, please let me know. I have only Google'd around searching through wikipedia and other sites. Im sure personal experience would be more helpful than a website.

The fish I have decided to put on my yes list are;

Pseudotropheus Crabro (Bumble Bee Cichlid)

Pseudotropheus Salousi

Labidochromis Hongi

Do you think a clown loach would do well with them? The clown loach is generally friendly however those fish above can be aggressive to other species of fish so im not sure? I really want either a clown loach or a catfish in with my fish.

Oh and I wanted a red Zebra and a Jewel but I read they can be very aggressive, so I think maybe they aren't best kept with my chosen fish? Or do you think otherwise? (I would love a red/orange fish as above are mainly blue/yellow)

#2 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Welcome to Perth Cichlid Society!!

Yes, clown loaches go very well in small groups and are happier in groups rather than a single loach.

How large is the aquarium? This can change whether the fish would be ok together or not dramatically. The larger the tank the less likely they are going to be aggressive towards eachother. Caves and hidey holes help as well to provide places where the less aggressive fish can hide if other fish have a space in the tank which they protect.

Although I am not an expert on malawi cichlids.

Edited by Redevilz, 12 April 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#3 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hey welcome.

I'm pretty sure clown loaches would do fine with Malawi's as at Morley aquariums there massive cichlid tank has got quite a few clown loaches. One thing to consider is that they get white spot pretty easy, most of the time you will see them with it at a fish store.

#4 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Funny you say that Michael,

Ive only ever once had white spot..... your post reminded me of it...... also the fact it was just after I bought home my first 2 clown loaches.

Was very easy to cure though and no deaths. I still have them 3 years later going well.

#5 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Yup it is easy to cure I use Multi-cure, it gets rid of white spot pretty easy but makes your water green. If you buy a clown loach get a couple to stop stress so they don't get white spot to easy and also check the fish at the fish store for white spot before you buy.

#6 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

yes michael but thats the point reddevilz was making that tank at morley is massive if this persons tank is only small it could be the difference between it working and not working ...

#7 Codiejoy

Codiejoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

Thanks guys I spoke with a fish expert today and was told clown loaches are great to have in a tank and white spot is easy to cure. How can I make sure my fish don't have white spot? I assume the disease literally is white spots but have not researched it yet.

#8 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hey Codiejoy

Some reading material for you -

Dealing with whitespot - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=24612
Quarantining your fish - http://www.perthcich...?showtopic=5513
Keeping loaches with African cichlids - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=20663

Visible whitespot comes and goes in cycles. Inspecting the fish at the sellers end may not be sufficient because the whitespot may be too small to be visible or free swimming in the water depending on the life cycle stage. If you can quarantine your fish that's a good option else be prepared to treat your entire tank if there is an outbreak.

#9 Codiejoy

Codiejoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Dazzabozza very helpful

#10 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

I have nothing to add as every one else have answered really well.

However, welcome to the forum! Clown Loaches are great, they have awesome personalities and are great fun to watch.

#11 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Many people claim to be fish experts and you would be better off not having whitespot then putting your fish through the stress of having it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

White spot mostly easy to get rid of, some guys ive spoken to have had ongoing battles with it. Some ich is heat resistant which means you have to catch everything in your display and put in quarantine OR you need to treat in your display tank, making a mess of it. Quarantine your loaches first and you should be okay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fish, cichlid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users