How To Stop Fish Digging Up Plants

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wipz

wipz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi All
I have a real problem with my Neo. Multifasciatus digging up any plants I put in my aquarium. Naturally, the multis love to move around the sand and shells in the tank, so at the end of the day, they completely dig the plant out, roots and all. The only way I can keep the plants in the tank by leaving them in an elevated, small in circumference, plastic container. This makes my tank look quite ugly so I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can protect the plants so they don't get excavated.
Also, any suggestions on what type of plants would suit - lake tanganyika style?
Cheers
Peter

Edited by wipz, 22 March 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#2 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

Consider replacing your stem plants with plants you can tie to rocks/wood, like Anubias, Java fern, Liverworts and Mosses, none of these plants like being rooted into the ground, although you can plant anubias or java fern as long as the Ryzome is left out of the ground.

You have little chance of training your particular fish not to dig.

Juls

Edited by Juls, 22 March 2011 - 12:14 PM.

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

In the end, these guys will dig around anything that is too heavy for them to move. So whatever your plants are in, it will become exposed eventually. The only solution would be to have plants that actually grow on wood or rocks.

#4 wipz

wipz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Juls and Cawdor!
Whats the best sort of light bulb for the plants that Juls mentioned? I'm very inexperienced in lighting and plant keeping and I don't have a CO2 setup.
I think my current light has a very strong bulb and I tend to find that if I keep it running for too long each day, algae gets out of control and plants start dying. Very eager to learn.
Cheers
Peter

Edited by wipz, 22 March 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#5 Simon A

Simon A
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

I use a 4 inch x 4inch square of gutter guard (from Bunnings), cut a small hole in the centre of the gutter guard, gently push the roots of the plant into the hole and lightly tie the stem to the gutter guard. Plant the plant with the gutter guard below the surface of the substrate. this will stop them from digging up the plants but they will sometimes expose the gutter guard in which case you just cover it again.

#6 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

For the plants I mentioned, a good quality light bulb around 6000-10000 Kelvin will work,

you can also use Hagen Powerglo which is 18000k, but has good ranges for plants as well and makes fish have great colours.

You will want around 0.25-0.5W per Litre if you can find it, you shouldn't need anymore light than that for the plants I mentioned, anymore you may find you get alot of algae, rapidly.

If your using T5HO, you might be able to get away with 0.25-0.3W per litre, if your using normal T8 or T5HE (also known as LO) then 0.5W per litre would be better. I wouldn't exceed 0.5W per litre with T5HO, you may find that Anubias and Java Fern don't grow quickly enough to soak up the extra light vs nutrient load. Mosses will grow quicker under more light. But quicker means more maintainence, as well as more likely to have algae issues.

You won't need CO2 for any of those plants, although some will do better with it, it isn't neccessary.

I find good quality light makes more difference, you can also add a small amount of micro fertilizer (Seachem Flourish) once a week this will help the plants establish.
you don't need to dose macro nutrients (EG: Nitrogen or phosphates)

Liquid carbon suppliment probably won't be that helpful with these particular plants. (Like Seachem Flourish Excel or Dino Spit)

You can attach moss to rocks, or if you have a foam wall you can thumb tack the foam to the wall, once the moss attaches after 4-6 weeks you can remove the thumb tack as it may begin to rust, i try to make sure the thumb tack is not made with or from copper.

if you don't have a foam wall, you can get a $3 roll of gutter guard from bunnings, and make a square up that covers a wall, then add moss across the whole square, then put a piece of mesh over it (so a moss sandwich) and zip tie it all together, then simply use suction caps to hold it on the wall, after 2-4 weeks the moss will start to come out of the mesh, after 3-4 months the mesh should be hidden by the moss.

Juls

#7 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

Or you can grow the plants you want in a different "plant" tank in pots... once they are nice and big, swap them with old potted plants from the "fish" tank.... this form of rotation works wonders if you have the tanks....

#8 wipz

wipz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thanks guys,
I'll use the wattage per litre as a guide. Not sure what wattage my two bulbs are at the moment but I do have two, a normal fluorescent and one black lamp. I have a small 35 litre tank at the moment so I think my current lighting setup is overkill (hence why I can only have the lights on for a few hours per day).

Another question on the plants: Will Anubias and Java fern happy attach to limestone? I have no driftwood in the tank.
Any really useful links for plant newbies?

Cheers
Peter

#9 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

This link below might help you,

Because your fish are small you might have to use something with narrower holes than the gutter guard, then cut holes in it to fit your plants through.

http://www.perthcich...x...3&hl=plants

Cheers
Den

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users