Diy Canister Setup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ryan overfield

ryan overfield
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hi guys,
I got bored yesterday and decided to make a makeshift tank setup using a canister filter from one of those wading pool filters you get from kmart for like 100bucks, iveput bioballs course pads and some ceramic tubes instead of the paper type filter it comes with and am currently going to try a fishless cycle with it .. has anyone tried this before ? ill post pics when its painted and pretty. (i had to make a hood as they have very big hoses)

Ryan

my staffy busted the pool so i had the filter lying around and am using it in a 80l tank rather than a 3000l pool its got impressive water flow!!!! lol

#2 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

what you will find is the power consumption will be ridiculous for the flow you achieve. Also they are mainly a solids filter so the extra load may not be healthy for the pump.

#3 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Nice experiment, maybe it could be useful for an outdoor setup smile.gif what's the wattage on your pump and how many litres an hour does it pump? let us know how it works out.

Cheers
Rigs

#4 ryan overfield

ryan overfield
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

the pump is 35w so not too bad and when i put a 1/2" reduction on the line it squirts like 800mm so pretty decnt L/phr ... if this experinment dont work out im gonna turn it into a substrate vac rolleyes.gif ... and for $50 i thinks well worth it (no tank water swallowing)

QUOTE (Neakit @ Jan 13 2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what you will find is the power consumption will be ridiculous for the flow you achieve. Also they are mainly a solids filter so the extra load may not be healthy for the pump.

its only 35 watts and looks to put out more flow than a cf1200 just not as much room for media... besides i have a 1500w solar panel setup so a few extra watts wont hurt cool.gif

and if the pump blows then meh i was gonna throw it out anyways ;0

#5 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

If its just for mechanical filtration it may be okay, as for biological the flow sounds a bit too high?

I used one a while ago for tank filtration, but ended up using it to pump water into a home made filter box as the main filter.

#6 ryan overfield

ryan overfield
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

did the pump last long ? and i never thoughtof making an extra filter box..... vac or filter box???? decisions decisions

#7 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

1st off it was a gravity fed box that just returned to the tank, i used an old pump that came with the pool (i got it 2nd hand) and it died after about 2-3 weeks. I had a 2nd pool which i bought new, and that pump only lasted 1-2 months running 24/7. Bad luck maybe? cheap and nasty pump maybe? i dont know...

#8 ryan overfield

ryan overfield
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

i would def say cheap and nasty smile.gif
lol

#9 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

their not really made to run 24/7 have a look at the duty cycle on the pump.

#10 Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I could imagine the flow is ok on the pump but they don't seem to have a lot of pressure so the pump wouldn't have much head since in those pools they only pump about 400mm.
If you threw some bio mat in there it would probably work ok slow the flow down a little but would allow the bio mat to work.
I wouldn't use it as a main filter tho as it wouldn't last long running 24/7. Would be handy to have it as a back up if any of your others go to heaven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users