Static shock from tank

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a juwel tank now filled below the waterline they supply on the tank. Sometimes when I put the tips of my fingers in to feed some flake, I get a static electric shock.

Is that normal??

Thanks,

Donna

#2 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

I think that would more likely be something electric in the tank than static electricity? Might be worth turning anything with power off in the tank and checking it all out.

#3 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

I would check it out in this order:
Heater (cheap ones prone to leaking/condensation)
Lights (i know you have gone above the magic blue line before:))
Filter (unlikely)

#4 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

It's not the only line I've ever gone over smile.gif

Thanks,

I will check, in that order.

Donna

#5 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

8O No it's not normal Donna!

I'd do what Andrew said. How far below the line have you filled it to?

#6 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

Its about a cm below the line.

The fish are all ok, more Kribensis fry wink.gif

I will have a look right now.

Thanks,

Donna

#7 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Donna, how close is the water to the light fitting?

To be honest i never liked those all in one units. Their cheaply made. Condensation is a major issue regardless of what one may think. Their not IPX Rated and therefore you'll have an issue on your hands anyway, especially with heat and light involved.
If your getting a tingle, then it coule be any of the things mentioned above, but more to the point, it could quite well possibly be anything down the line of your house. It could be a light fitting, it could a be a kettle element on its way out.

Have you got a Safety Switch?

I'd personally call an electrician to be on the safe side. Simply because you may have a dodgy earth connection at the stake. You could have a burnt out neutral at your MCB(Mains Connection Box)(if it's overhead lines). Or you could have a burnt wire or 2 anywhere down the line of power.

BEWARE: If it is a dodgy earth, and that poor bond lets go completely, then you won't just get a tingle....you may just find yourself in seriously comprimising position.
You or your family can be at risk.

Try eliminate the problem with the ideas mentioned above.

Otherwise see if you get a tingle off of any of your taps in the house. Best way to do this is to place a cut on your finger maybe? or even your elbow whilst it is wet onto any of the taps. This is best done whilst in the shower, and the water is running through the system. You should NEVER recieve any form of tingle or static from any tap in your house. If you do get a tingle, unplug everything especially heaters, kettles, toasters, fridge, or anything else you have plugged in, and try get a tingle again. If so, then you've just eliminated every house hold appliance to be the cause.
At this point i would call an Electrician as the problem could easily spiral out of control.

If you have a new house thats fitted with a safety switch and the problem does become more visable, then it's more than likely to trip sooner or later.

I would take this seriously. Many people shrug a tingle off to be nothing, to find that a year later their in a hospital bed with serious injuries.

Play it safe smile.gif

I'm only saying this because of my occupation, and would rather see you take the safest approach.

Regards
Chris

#8 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

my mate has lost a finger due to electricution through a fishtank... shaking his hand has never been the same since

#9 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

OMG. Now I am scared. Its a pretty new house so it will trip if there is a major issue.

I am not getting any tingle off the taps anywhere else in the house.

Is it possible it is static?

Its my fish I am worried about, they seem fine even when I get the boot off the top of the tank.

How will I know if my heater is faulty?

Thanks,

Donna

#10 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

turn every thing off get a ac volt meter and put one probe at one end and the other probe at the other end turn the meter on and read the voltage. now one at a time turn each of the appliances on and note the voltage. if you have a big spike of volts the appliance you just turned on is faulty.

#11 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

Where can I get such a meter?

#12 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

Hi Donna biggrin.gif

I have a freind of a freind who is an inspector for western power biggrin.gif

Actualy two freinds one is Retired i will give him a call tommorow and see what he says i am sure if you call western power they will check it out for you FREE OF CHARGE biggrin.gif biggrin.gif In fact i know they will biggrin.gif Dont Mention the inspectors the sparkys hate them laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Cheers Cobby biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#13 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

(Donna)
Is it possible it is static?

Donna

Hi Donna,

Yes it IS possible that you are receiving a static electricity shock: particularly if your aquarium is surrounded by synthetic carpet; and such an event is far more likely in hot dry weather, than under cooler humid conditions. That said, you should satisfy yourself that no electrical hazard exists. This would be unlikelyif all you receive is a short sharp shock. If the sensation of shock or "tingling" persists you may have a seriuos problem.

Syd.

#14 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

This would be unlikelyif all you receive is a short sharp shock

I was just going to mention this. If it is a single short shock it is most likely static. Especially if it is on carpet...new shoes maybe?? Have you had shocks off anything else? Metal window frame, etc??

I once had a job where a lady thought she had a electrical problem because she was getting shocks off every metal thing she touched...after spending a couple of hours testing everything, she told me she got shocked off the door handle...which was on a totally wooden door. So it turned out to be static...but it can build up terrific voltage and give quite a shock.

But I still recommend getting it checked out by an electrician. And getting a safety switch installed as it will trip out in 30ms with 30mAmps and so potentially save lives.

As for your fish, I don't think they are going to be in trouble at all. They will be the same potential as the water so they should be alright. I would be more concerned about yourself and other people who might stick their digits in the water while standing firmly on the ground.

Ado

#15 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

(Neakit)
turn every thing off get a ac volt meter and put one probe at one end and the other probe at the other end turn the meter on and read the voltage. now one at a time turn each of the appliances on and note the voltage. if you have a big spike of volts the appliance you just turned on is faulty.

no offence my friend, but what do you plan to achieve by doing this?

spike of volts?

what you made mention of above is a load of rubbish, and is not how you would test any form of appliance. nor would it assist in identifying a problem. The greater the load, the more volt drop and current spike you will recieve.

and i don't recommend Donna do this, especially as she is completely unsure as to what to do.

Donna, Let cobby contact his western power friends, and see if they can assist you free of charge. All it'll take is for someone to come out and identify what the possible causes are, and do a process of elimination test to identify the problem.

as for the rest of your comments. A static shock cannot and should not be recieved through the water of the fish tank or the glass unless there is an electrical problem. If the tank is acrylic, then static is more than possible and more than likely to be the case. if it is glass then it is not static.
If the stand or cabinet is wooden, then static should not exist on carpet either.
If your dragging your feet on the carpet or as some have said above you have new shoes and or new carpet, then as it has been suggested...Static is probably all it is

Regards
Chris

#16 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

(ado)
This would be unlikelyif all you receive is a short sharp shock

I was just going to mention this. If it is a single short shock it is most likely static. Especially if it is on carpet...new shoes maybe?? Have you had shocks off anything else? Metal window frame, etc??

I once had a job where a lady thought she had a electrical problem because she was getting shocks off every metal thing she touched...after spending a couple of hours testing everything, she told me she got shocked off the door handle...which was on a totally wooden door. So it turned out to be static...but it can build up terrific voltage and give quite a shock.

But I still recommend getting it checked out by an electrician. And getting a safety switch installed as it will trip out in 30ms with 30mAmps and so potentially save lives.

As for your fish, I don't think they are going to be in trouble at all. They will be the same potential as the water so they should be alright. I would be more concerned about yourself and other people who might stick their digits in the water while standing firmly on the ground.

Ado

30ms? geez Ado what RCD's are you installing? lol they should trip out at about 8m/s. i'm guessing you confused yourself when typing tongue.gif

#17 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Hi Donna,

I had this problem a few months back.

It turned out to be an El Cheapo filter which had shorted out, but not enough to trip the switch. I discovered this by a process of elimination.

One week later another El Cheapo shorted out a killed a complete colony of very nice & expensive fish.
I have also had in the past 2 cheap heaters explode & one blew the entire glass tube off & knocked most of the stomach of a female venustus out.

I learned by my mistake of buying cheap products.

I hope some of you can learn by my mistakes....if possible please buy good quality products..it's cheaper in the long haul.

HTH

Col

#18 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

Hi Col, I agree, especially with your comments relating to cheap heaters. Don't touch them with a barge pole, they are way more trouble than their menial costs

#19 jayjay

jayjay
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

i once got a heater of ebay for $15 thought i got a good deal it lasted 2 day and killed half my fish :x :x :x

jayden

#20 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, let me say how nice it is to be part of this great community! You have all been so awesome, I feel really valued. Its great.
It just so happens, that I need some new power points (more aquarium options smile.gif and I have a friend who is an electrician. He will check it for me.

I will let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again,

Donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users