Photo

Saratoga Jardini Care

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hey guys I got a 6-7cm Saratoga Jardini today from City Barn. Been reading abit about them lately but just wanted to hear other peoples experience with them if they have raised them from young (or just own one) like what variety of food you feed them and how often, what other fish you keep them with, growth rate and their behaviour (males and females) as Iv read that they can be tamed when they grow older and can be housed with some fish fine but some are too aggressive and have to be by themselves

I grabbed him sooner than later because I did not want to miss out so at the moment he is in my 87g 6ft tank but I have diy divided (just until I can grab some egg crate for a better look) 30cm off one end of the tank for it until it gets a bit bigger and added a sponge filter in the sectioned off bit aswell. When he reaches say 10-12cm and gets a little thicker will it be alright if I let him roam the tank with the current fish I have in there (read signature) until he starts getting aggresive or reaches around 15 cm ? He will get his own tank but Id say not for atleast another 2 months. The largest fish is one of my marble vieja fenestratus which is about 12cm the rest of the fish range between 7-10cm. Also obviously Iv heard the saratoga will try eat anything that can fit in its mouth but will it nip at the other fish alot even if it has no chance of fitting it in its mouth ?

Cheers, Tom

#2 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

#3 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

From my experiences, they will eat anything nearly. I fed a variety of pellets (hikari gold, red, massivore, aquotix protein pellets), frozen white bait, prawn and squid as well as bloodworm and beef heart, crickets and mealworms and very rarely feeder fish.
I have always fed my fish daily or twice daily in smaller portions however predatory fish can go a couple if not more days between meals comfortably.
Keep lids closed and gaps covered as i have lost 2 small ones in previous years from gaps the size of a 20cent coin (i stuff filter wool in these corners now).
compatibility, when young they are quie a social kind of fish and only try fit things in there mouth so keep similar / larger sized fish with them. I have heard alot of trouble amongst mixing saratogas both small and large. When larger as well, Jardinis in particular I believe turn the kill switch on and can go a little agro blasting and killing alot of fish, however im sure this can vary from individual fish as my mates one is 35-40cm and still with SA cichlids around 15-20cm with no problems.
Wide tanks are good for saratogas as they are said to have rigid backs so turning nice and sharp can present a problem also, im thinking at least a 6x2x2 here (based on my mates one which seems happy and comfortable ion his 6x2x2 - however the one in Vebas is a monster and would need something like 8x3 I think)
Sexing, dont know if this is possible, i believe there is no notable difference betweeen sexes?

hope that kinda helps, just some things i been told and have read and expereicnced.
Awesome fish, real character and the way they occupy the top of the tank is mint.

Jules

#4 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Cheers Jules good stuff. They sure do will eat anything I thought it was going to be picky like the p bass but first day he was eating bloodworms and hikari sinking carnivore pellets and yesterday he ate 3 rcs's. Hopefully I get a chance to pop into Aquotix this weekend I wanna try out some of their pellets Iv heard good things about them.

Im already looking to get a new tank just for the Saratoga I want to keep him on his own for a bit and give him some room, might even put some of my silver dollars with him as Iv heard they are good tank mates but eventually he will live in a 6x2x2. Any idea if Saratoga's do right with Peacock Bass at smaller sizes ? I did want to house them together when they both reach about 15-20cm

#5 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yeah they should be fine, I did it before, however my bass soon started to try have a snap at the saratoga. Given they occupy separate areas of the water column there will be minimal run ins.
Just be wary that the saratogas are known to go off (and bash things) when they get bigger

#6 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Aaaaaand he's gone :'(

Got home from work and he is no where to be seen at all. Can't think of anything that could of happened except for if he jumped over the divider, top of the divider is out of the water and is about 1cm below my lids so he must be pretty good at jumping and became a snack for the other residents. What a depressing way to start the weekend...

#7 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to here that fellow fish keeper sad.gif ....i would suggest not to rust out and get another little dude, but wait another month or two and get one a bit bigger. That's my plan but In the mean time set yourself up a more suitable home for him...dont give up they are an awesome fish...

Edited by knock, 18 January 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#8 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Cheers knock, so depressing I always look forward to coming home after work to feed him since Iv had him and Im even getting a new tank tomorrow just for him sad.gif

Yeah Im going to wait a month or so until I get another one (hopefully I still can). I really wanted to raise it from young though or atleast get one around 10-15cm and I know getting one that size is pretty slim

#9 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ill try even harder to get you a bigger Jardini when they are available...... lll PM you when I get some...
We got 10x 12cm Leichardi in that ate floating pellets from day one... got two left now.... but not as nice as a Jardini.... When they are available at over 10cm, Ill jump on them....then let you know... wink.gif

#10 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

No good mate!

I loved this fish when I kept it. From 7cm to 40cm in a year. These guys grow fast!

I found mine was fine with smaller fish as it grew up with them and was well fed. But once it reached about 40 odd cm "the same as my biggest peacock bass" they started to fight hardcore. I think its obviously just a dominance thing.

As it would keep growing and the bass had pretty much stopped I chose to sell it as I love my bass more.

Hope you get another one and enjoy keeping it.

#11 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Ollie your a good bloke. Im picking up some tanks today but Iv got to cycle them so yeah I will be looking for another Saratoga in about 4-6 weeks times I hope theres a jardini floating around for sale. All those 7cm ones going around should gain a bit of size in 4-6 weeks Im just hoping someone will sell theirs haha if not I am quite happy to get a leichardti smile.gif

Damn Sam that is amazing growth I knew they got big quick but I was thinking around 25cm maybe 30 in its first year. What were you feeding the thing and what size tank were you raising it in ?

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Unfortunate to hear about your first Saratoga.

Do yourself a favour second time around and get yourself a Leichardti. In my opinion, a nicer looking fish. They are also far more manageable at a larger size. Only down fall is they can be slightly more skittish as young fish.

#13 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah Im thinking of getting a Leichardti once my new tank is cycled, I originally wanted one in the first place but saw that City Barn has Jardini's so I pretty much just impulsed bought it cos I didn't know if Id be able to get my hands on another Saratoga at a small size. The ones Ollie said Aquotix has is the perfect size Im looking for aswell but I still have to wait atleast another month until I can get one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users