Photo

New Tank

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

So i have a 6x2x2 tank with a 51cm toga in it.. and ive been wanting to upgrade for quite awhile now (since he was like 30cm). When you start looking at tanks in the 8ft size and 2.5-3ft wide they start to get a bit pricey...

So for awhile ive been thinking of just making one myself, and this weekend i started FINALLY!. Ive gone the plywood route. im using 25mm thick plywood, it will be fibreglassed with epoxy and I've gone with two windows to keep the costs down a bit as 1 large peice of glass isnt cheap.

The tank itself is 2.4m x1m x1m (outside measurements), so its quite large indeed..

So here is a few photos to show where im up to, and i will keep updating as i work on it, next stage is to bog the corners and the knots in the plywood then sand/ smooth out edges and router the corners getting ready for the fibreglass, i forgot to add that the dark timber behind the front divider is a solid peice of jarrah to support the front frame

Attached File  Tank 1.jpg   77.37KB   136 downloadsAttached File  Tank 2.jpg   111.35KB   144 downloadsAttached File  Tank 3.jpg   141.61KB   96 downloads

Edited by Zabick, 19 May 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#2 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Looking good so far I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure can't wait to see more. Are you doing the fibreglassing yourself?

#3 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

yea i will be, my dad used to work on boats so he will be helping me with it. Which will be good to have backup in that department

#4 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

that is pretty damn awesome, have you estimated how much the build is going to cost you?

#5 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yes, it should finish up costing around $1000 thats with the hood, cabinet doors, lids pretty much everthing except the fish, sand etc..

#6 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi, I am thinking of building my next tank this way. Any tips or pitfalls you want to share? 

I just got quoted $7,000 for the tank in glass so figure worth a shot building it in ply. 

If you need a hand with the fiberglass I would be happy to help just to be able get some advice and experience.

#7 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

what size was that $7000 for??, tips i can let you know as i go. As for pitfalls im hoping not to have many, or at least little ones.

Today all the screw holes and knots in the plywood got bogged, tomorrow hopefully can get to bogging the inside of the tank and maybe start sanding

#8 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Quote was based on a 3x1.2x0.85

Thought the guy was joking. When I said the glass alone would only be 2500 he said I was dreaming and the glass would be over 5K.

Figure if I am going to build it, build it as big as I would ever want so going to up it to 3x1.2x1

I found this great link to load of other ply wood tanks. Figured I have built cupboards, kitchens etc. Shouldn't be hard if you get the engineering right on the support beams. 

http://www.monsterfi...-plywood-tanks-(Load-Warning)

Edited by Valkeris, 20 May 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#9 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

that's the same reason i am building my own, so long as you do it right there really isn't a limit on size..

if you've done building before no reason you cant do it, just like making a huge esky with a viewing window. probably with the construction i would make sure you stitch the screws, might be overkill but i have done that on mine to be sure.

#10 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

last couple of days have been spent filling and sanding. Have to fill the inside corners to allow the fibreglass to bend over them without getting air underneath. about halfway done with the filling and sanding.. more photos to come

#11 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

where are you getting your glass from? How thick are you going, 15MM or 19MM?

#12 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

The glass im getting from bunnings.. 12mm hardened glass panels. The height is a little under 2.5ft so 12mm should be fine. Plus it helps that I can buy the glass from bunnings for under $200 compared with $1000+ from a glass company

#13 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

The pool fencing panels?

I have wondered about using them.

Just be aware that hardened glass doesn't crack, it shatters.

Also you will not be able to cut it easy.

#14 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yes the pool fencing, as far as i ws aware its near impossible to cut hardened glass.... but l luckly I dont have to, I made my front panel to suit the glass. So the glass will slot straight into the recesses. And those panels come in ALOT of different sizes, I was quite surprised just how many

Edited by Zabick, 24 May 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#15 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Don't forget you need to calculate glass thickness by using total water height, this is easy in an all glass tank but in ply wood tanks the water height is often above the glass. 

I am really interested in the glass strength of the bunnings panels as I wanted to use them too but worried about them not being thick enough for a 900mm water column. 

#16 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

600mm - 10mm thick,  750mm -12mm thick,  900mm - 15mm thick. I think there the guide lines that quality tanks are built by.     

#17 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

my glass window measures 705mm so i should be safe with 12mm

so the bogging is pretty much finished and so is the sanding, i did all the bullnosing tonight.. so a final check over tomorrow and then cross fingers all should be well to start the fibreglassing

Attached Files

#18 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

So i got the fibreglassing done today, looking great. ive attached a few photos showing where im up to, one of the photos is of the woven mat i used.

once its dry it'll be time to recoat the inside and paint the outside

Attached Files

Edited by Zabick, 25 May 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#19 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Starting to look good have you come across any issues as yet?

#20 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Not as yet, probably the only thing would be the resin didnt seem to go as far as i thought.. that being said the batch i brought to do the glassing was plenty. And also be very accurate with your measuring of hardner/resin...

Going to sound stupid but i made up the last bit to do any touch-ups and i put a bit too much hardner in the batch.. the rest of the resin had'nt gone tacty yet so i thought i had time to use it, went to get a bite to eat quickly... came back and the bucket was smoking LOL, when the resin is curing it produces heat.. when confined alot of heat, when confined with too much hardner alot of heat (nearly enough to melt the bucket) and it sets pretty damn fast!!

Luckily i didnt need that batch anyway, so thats the only 'speed bump' so far.. im sure there will be one or two more along the way...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users