FREE: Anyone have fish to give away?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#21 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

Doesn't have to be materialistic FishGal. Your efforts in replying to this post and taking a stand for One2One is enough smile.gif

#22 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to the Forum, hope you enjoy it!

Give it a few months and ill be glad give you some Bristlenose fry, my 5 pairs are gonna breed any day now, there is 2 females and one male cleaning out a breading cave and fending others out of it. biggrin.gif

My brother gave me a tank, filter, substrate and i just had to buy the rest. It is the best way to get into a hobby start out with a small budget and then get carried away like i have laugh.gif Good to see there is more interest in this hobby!

I hope you can get some fish, i unfortunately only have convict fry growing up now... no one wants them :cry: well once they get bigger they are a really nice fish biggrin.gif

#23 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

(FishGal)
(DR14GoNF14SH)

my honest advice... go buy a couple of baby oscars and start from there...

Unbelievable....for a start he said he has a small tank set up, so you're advising him to start with baby O's?? Baby O's become BIG adult O's really fast and so he would have to either be upgrading his tank real quick or his 'baby' O's would be living in pretty cruel conditions...but hey like most people think, they are just O's right?

You guys are unbelievable on here at times....so what if it's his 1st post or 101st post?? There is no harm in asking, whats the worst that he gets back...No, no biggie at least he asked and lost nothing.

Great way to introduce the guy to the forums guys!

100% agreed.

Newcomer, don't feel un welcomed by the harsh judgement of others.

Good luck and happy fish keeping biggrin.gif

#24 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

I generally think the fish hobby should be trying to move forward and the more people getting into fish the better, ive had my share of free fish.

Depending on what tank size youve got i have some electric yellows and maybe some vallis if you want a few plants.

#25 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

(pleco4me)
Hi One2One,

sorry, i dont have anything to offer, but i think its a bit rude to join the forum and have your first post asking for fish (btw. plecos are pretty expensive and i dont think anyone will be willing to give one away for free.)

Dont want to sound mean, just though manners would be nice smile.gif

Hi Craig
Why did you respond to this post if you had nothing to offer? The post is in the classifieds, and if someone wants to give something for nothing to someone who has asked quite politely, it is then up to that individual.

All users in general

I think (my opinion only) that some users are quite open in critisising others on the forum, while they may not have all the info they need to make a informed desicion.

If you have got nothing positive to say, say nothing at all!

I would also like to say well done to all those that have welcomed one2one onto the forum. laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#26 TheWiz

TheWiz
  • Banned

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

please take it some were else biggrin.gif

#27 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

I would love to help get you started. If you PM me the details of what type of tank, filtration and if it is heated or not, I have plenty of fish and plants which I can sort you out with something suitable.

Tony smile.gif

#28 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

I would like to help you out but it depends on the size tank you have as everyone has said i have a few diff types off fish .

If you send me details ie. is it heated, tank size and such ill see what i can do.

Regards
Adam

#29 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

This is normal around here One2One it always gets heated around here lots of "i'm better than you are so watch what you say" ego stuff, you'll get used to it, but in saying that there is also alot of nice people around that are willing to help

Goodluck newbie! laugh.gif
just jokes welcome!

#30 One2One

One2One
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

Hi to all,

Firstly, thanks for the replies and for those who shared my vista position.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that this would cause such a heated debate and it was in no way shape or form my humble intents.

I was only trying to attract those who had fish to off load and was trying to stay clear of the people who wanted a contemptuous feeling of superiority by finding fault in people asking for help, either in a tangible or non-tangible profile.

I take no offence to any cynical criticism in the form of advice given by anyone on this thread and it is absolutely intriguing to know how many people out there want to see you fail.

When I received the tank from my brother, he advised me to start with Pleco (Not thinking I would try to track them down in a FREE classified ad :? )BUT I had no concept they were $30+ fish (Live & Learn).

To those good-hearted people out there, I will PM in turn regarding the tank setup once it's had a few days to cycle and I know that your goodwill will eventually be repaid in kind.

THANKS.

#31 fishfan666

fishfan666
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

welcome to the forum one2one hope u have a good start with your tank biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
starter fish i would recomend are zebra danios shops i go to sell them as feeder fish and are usually cheap.
guppies mollies things like that they breed like rabbits and u can sell the fry and make some profit to buy "better fish" and improve your tank

welcome to the hobby

#32 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Hey mate welcome, I understand where your coming from. In fact a lot of fish pop up on the classifieds as freebies.

If it wasn't for the donation of a friend giving me a entire fish tank setup including fish (I'd say all up value must of been around a gran) than I wouldn't be in this hobby either :wink:

#33 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:11 AM

yeh thats a good point about the oscars, but a small tank to me is 3ftx18' or similar... which would comfortabley house a small oscar for quite a while, which he could then trade in later if it got too big... therefore i dont think my advice was bad... nor do i think i was being offensive :roll:

anyways... btw, still interested in how old you are??

cheers,
e. :wink:

ps: i dont think anyone wants to see you fail... i hope u understand that! laugh.gif

#34 r0me0

r0me0
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

Hello and welcome to the perthcichlid forum. I have afew fish that I can give you if you are interested. 2x Neolamprologus multifasciatus and 3x neolamprologus caudopunctatus. These are dwarf cichlids are perfect for small set up. Have shells and some fish food as well.

Michael

#35 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

great way to indruduce the new guy good work people

#36 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

(DR14GoNF14SH)
yeh thats a good point about the oscars, but a small tank to me is 3ftx18' or similar... which would comfortabley house a small oscar for quite a while, which he could then trade in later if it got too big... therefore i dont think my advice was bad... nor do i think i was being offensive :roll:

i think your advise is very bad a 3ft by 18 isnt big enough for an oscar!!! it will last them maybe a few months at most and than you have to upgrade and what if he cant upgrade than the poor thing has to suffer!!!
ive had enough of people abusing oscars seriosly there like the goldfish of the cichlid world!!!

(DR14GoNF14SH)
anyways... btw, still interested in how old you are??

why does it matter how old he is all that matters is the care of the fish !!!

sam

#37 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

sexy dude settle down... wow...

if u were to get a small oscar at around 6cm, im sure it will be fine in a 3x18 for quite awhile( would u like to have a wager on the fact that it would only be housable for a few months as u say? ) ...and when the fish does get too big, then like i said, he can trade it... no big deal there!

also, if he were a 16 year old student then i would understand, but what if he were a 25 year old bloke with a job? there is quite a difference in situations... i think its a reasonable question to ask...at the end of the day, i guess im really questioning whether or not he actually can afford a $5 fish and that if he cant then he prolly wont be able to afford the upkeep aswell...

anyhoo,i think the situation has been blown way out of proportion...he wants free fish... then give him free fish if u want... laugh.gif i was more so referring to his original post and the manner in which it came across to me...i have never said that he shouldnt be given free stuff...

enough with this waste of time thread...no disrespect and i hope he does grow to love this hobby as we all do...

#38 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

(DR14GoNF14SH)
would u like to have a wager on the fact that it would only be housable for a few months as u say?

yes i would
i know for a fact from experience that it will only fit "comfortably" in that size tank for a couple of months, Oscars are my favorite fish i have had more than years you've been alive.

sam.

#39 nairda

nairda
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

I know i am like an african cichlid in the atlantic ocean in terms of "im in teh wrong place" but im going to end this debate here and now.

If he is serious and interested in keeping fish and has even a tiny little passion for it, there are people on this forum who already have offered to give him more fish than his small tank can keep.

Secondly this debate has gone far enough. I am sure like everyone knows it is rude to ask someone for free stuff especially during the first few minutes of meeting them. It is the same way in this matter. The degree of offense taken is specific to the person recieving that offense. We would just like to let one2one know that it isnt very polite to just join on the forums and ask for some free stuff. I am sure he knows that too seeing he is a decent person and if i can speak for most of us, we dont take offense in him asking.

I sincerely believe that this chap no matter how old he is, he will either enjoy keeping his fish and do so with utmost care, or i am sorely mistaken and nobody will make the mistake of giving him anything else for free.

Were just interested in one2one's age so we can get an idea of how much he needs to learn im sure. I got into the hobby at about 17 and even though im turning 19 now, i have learned a great deal.

Now just to convince us one2one, after obtaining your fish and setting up your tank, please send us some pictures and also perhaps some things you are saving up for or intend to buy/acquire.

I hope this will shut up most of the people just looking for something to argue about.

#40 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Oscars are my favorite fish i have had more than years you've been alive. laugh.gif hehe...

i believe the average growth rate to be 1inch per month, usually reaching around 10inches after one year, give or take... that being said, if u were to buy a 2 inch oscar today, it would take till atleast december to reach 8inches...and given that the rate of growth slows down rapidly as the oscar reaches these lengths i would say that the oscar alone would be comfortable in the tank for a minimum of 6 months and quite possibly a few more months depending...

ofcourse there are many contributing factors that will effect the rate of growth in any fish, but i think its safe to say that an oscar at 2inches will not out grow a 3x18x18 with in a few months...( a few months being 2-3 )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users