Photo

Fish Id Please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

Hi there just looking for a fish Id on this little guy 1b1a14c2eb1410bc44b865c9aee7e472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:57 AM

my guess is common pleco

#3 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

bristlenose catfish, chucking a poop  :Rofl_3f:

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Dori you need to stop identifying fish if you don't know what they are an just throwing names out there. 

Jules is right, it is just a female common bristle nosed catfish.

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

my guess is common pleco

Dori you need to stop identifying fish if you don't know what they are an just throwing names out there. 

Totally agree here, Please dont say what the fish is unless you know for certain. there is already WAY too many misnamed fish out there already.

#6 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

Thanks guys :)

#7 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

He did say guess. No need to get the ruler out ;)

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

calm the farm.... a guess is a guess.... 

my guess is it could well be a male common bristlenose... after close inspection could well be a small ridge and a few bristles on the nose but the background is a little hard to distinguish between fish and what its sitting on.... :)  

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

Johnno I knew before I even opened this thread up that you were going to try dispute the fact I said this fish was a female, because at the end of the day that's just what you do. I can't see a single bristle on this fish. Probably time to get your monocle out and have a closer look.

A guess is a guess- but when someone wants something identified, random stabs in the dark aren't exactly useful to that person.

:brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:

Edited by Peckoltia, 24 April 2015 - 07:40 AM.

• Fox likes this

#10 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:05 PM

This is gold :D hahaha but also IT does have tiny bristles only around the front of his nose but I have heard that the males should have quite a lot more ? Correct me if I'm wrong !

#11 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:18 AM

Johnno I knew before I even opened this thread up that you were going to try dispute the fact I said this fish was a female, because at the end of the day that's just what you do. I can't see a single bristle on this fish. Probably time to get your monocle out and have a closer look.

A guess is a guess- but when someone wants something identified, random stabs in the dark aren't exactly useful to that person.

:brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:

hey peckoltia, perhaps if you enlarge the pic right up like i did you will have noticed some bristles.... male b/n dont have a set size or age when they display their full head of bristles... had 4-5cm males sprouting good 1cm bristles.... had 8-9cm males barely sprouting a 3 day growth...  tank conditions , genetics , and the number of fish in the tank all have a bearing on how quickly or slowly a male b/n with grow their bristles.... some males in the presence of much bigger aggressive males seem to hold back their bristles....

of the 1000's of common bristlenose i have had over the years and still have its unusual for females to sprout any bristles out front on their lip... occasionally you will see 2 small ones and in the rare occasion 4 tiny bristles... but thats it... this doesnt apply to peppermints as females can be more bristly.... 

This is gold :D hahaha but also IT does have tiny bristles only around the front of his nose but I have heard that the males should have quite a lot more ? Correct me if I'm wrong !

im not going to correct you as this can be variable... what size is this b/n ? if its under 8-9cm it could well be a male yet... 

to make certain catch fish out and rub top of its nose with your finger.... soft squishy like -> male... hard and firm -> female.... or you can vent it to be 100% certain....

Edited by bigjohnnofish, 25 April 2015 - 01:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users