changy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

Best place to get earth worms for fish food? (Besides Bunnings) preferably SOR

#2 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

gumtree sometimes has ppl selling from there personal worm farms.

#3 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

How did you go with the worms mate? If your prepared to grow your own check with your local council, some of them are offering subsidies and how to nights were you can learn how and go home with complete kit. I attended a Cockburn shire one last week and came home very happy. A 4 tier worm farm, genuine kilo of worms[approx 4000] and substantial amount of mature bedding/castings,ready to thrive immediately, oh and snacks for 85$ the cost of the farm alone at bunnings! The icing on the cake? i communicated with the people involved and they ensured my kilo came with a substantial number of grindal/white worms. This mob also do regular deliveries to perth. Subsidy varies between councils i believe and not all do it. Wont mention names here as they are not sponsers but will provide more info by pm for any one who cares.[is that ok mods?  please delete last line if not]

Edited by shayne, 18 June 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#4 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

For those that might be trying to find white worms in gardens or existing worm farms/cooler compost heaps pastry particularly puff pastry works like magic seems better than bread or bread soaked in milk and doesnt seem to attract the earthworms at all allowing you to seperate them easily.

#5 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

Mate there's no harm mentioning them here. They're not a fish shop, so it wouldn't be treading on the toes of sponsors, and would be helping the PCS members out. Win win!!!!

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

my vege garden is a great place to find earth worms... some nearly as thick as your little finger.... but its guarded 5 outa 7 nights by smith and wesson... guess which 5 !!! lol

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

the the other 2 nights by a squad of rottys? haha

#8 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

Cheers thanks Jason,  The business is called The worm shed, they are in chittering.  White worms arent on their product list but before making my op i sought their permission to spread the word around the club that they could be a source, they approved but i dont know whether they plan to offer any seperately  or will just ensure that your earthworm purchase includes some as they did for me.

Here's the link: http://www.wormshed.com.au/

Edited by Jason82, 19 June 2015 - 12:50 PM.
Link to website added

#9 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

my vege garden is a great place to find earth worms... some nearly as thick as your little finger.... but its guarded 5 outa 7 nights by smith and wesson... guess which 5 !!! lol

chuckle,  i would send an elite squad of bandicoots up to test your defences :ph34r:  but they cant be trained to take prisoners[need an icon here with shark fin and gnashing teeth] which is why despite ample garden/mulch and compost im farming the little wrigglers.      Thanks for doing the link thing Jason. :cheers:

#10 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:56 PM

So any punks out there feeling lucky.

#11 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

That's Mr Smith and Mr Wesson to you :D

#12 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

chuckle,  i would send an elite squad of bandicoots up to test your defences :ph34r:

thats why we have defences - stop the little buggers eating all my pumpkin and zucchinni.... one dont eat much but when you get em in their hundreds they do :)

#13 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

To harvest white worms from an earthworm farm get a chux supa wipe fold it four times, wet it and place it on top of the hessian/ newspaper in the farm. After a couple of days remove the chux and rinse it in a couple of liters of water in a bucket, wait 5 minutes then gently discard most of the water. you should have thousands of white worms in the bucket.

I feed everything in the bottom of the bucket to the fish, the little bit of muck mixed with the worms wont hurt your fish, you will find that most of it will be eaten. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users