Marron

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

Im just looking for a bit of advice re marron farming. Im considering getting a small setup going in the swan valley even though a few people have told me it would be too hot. Im pretty sure with the right shade, depth of water, oxygen levels etc. that they could survive quite happily out there.

If anyone has any advice for me id really appreciate it. Whether it be in regards to water supply or whatever. 

Thanks very much, Lincoln

#2 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

This may be of some  help Lincoln

http://www.fish.wa.g...es/default.aspx

#3 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

if you have any tree farms or spray runoff from near by land dont bother. seems they get up and walk. heard some of the farmers down here even went as far as going to court to prevent tree farms near their dams.

they are very picky with their water quality and are slow growing. being in a hotter area, if you are after a personal food source and its allowed in your area the yabbie is a faster grower and will tolerate some crappier conditions.

do you have a source of water such as a dam or were you looking at tanks? they will require hides and to get the best growing conditions seperating the sexes is also recommended.

if you are putting a dam in let me know as i have did a diploma in aquaculture down south about 10yrs ago and saw some good ones and some that didnt work too well.

there was a marron/yabbie co-op around the pemberton area, not sure if they are still operating but getting in touch with them might be a goer and if you buy some marron out of season get a notice from the seller so fisheries dont think you have dodgied them.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Need some information about proposed setup mate. A lot of variables... 

One advantage to marron over yabbies is marron are not as aggressive.

#5 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi Fuggers,

Thanks very much for the response mate.Im actually thinking about looking at a place that is next to vineyard (as most blocks are in the valley). I don't know a lot about growing grapes and if they would use much chemicals but I could see how that may be an issue. The flow of the land wouldn't see any runoff from the neighbour however so I think it may be ok in that regard.

Ive had yabbies in my parents farms since I was a kid and loved catching them so they could be an option but ive just got my heart set on Marron. Its like comparing a scooter to a Harley.

In regards to water I was thinking about putting in a dam/pond and maybe a tank or two as well for breeding/hatchery. I want it looking nice and natural instead of sterile square ponds or tanks.

Thanks again, Linc

if you have any tree farms or spray runoff from near by land dont bother. seems they get up and walk. heard some of the farmers down here even went as far as going to court to prevent tree farms near their dams.

they are very picky with their water quality and are slow growing. being in a hotter area, if you are after a personal food source and its allowed in your area the yabbie is a faster grower and will tolerate some crappier conditions.

do you have a source of water such as a dam or were you looking at tanks? they will require hides and to get the best growing conditions seperating the sexes is also recommended.

if you are putting a dam in let me know as i have did a diploma in aquaculture down south about 10yrs ago and saw some good ones and some that didnt work too well.

there was a marron/yabbie co-op around the pemberton area, not sure if they are still operating but getting in touch with them might be a goer and if you buy some marron out of season get a notice from the seller so fisheries dont think you have dodgied them.

#6 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Well Malawiman,

I want to put in at least one dam or pond if it can be done plus at least one or 2 tanks. I want to have a year round supply and I don't want them walking out or being eating by anyone but myself and perhaps immediate family. One day down the track maybe a café.

I would consider other fish species as well. Im open to suggestions.

Linc

Need some information about proposed setup mate. A lot of variables... 

One advantage to marron over yabbies is marron are not as aggressive.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Marron do like to go walkies as soon as conditions are not to their liking. Doesn't really seem to occur to them that there might not be another water source within walking distance.

There are some very interesting stories here on PCS about marron legging it.

Bigjohnnofish has a mate that has marron in farm dams so Johnno might be able to help out.

You might have more luck with tanks rather than dams/ponds as far as being able to control their environment.

Tandanus Catfish are supposed to be top eating and go great in dams and are pretty hardy... Also they got no legs, if they try and escape... Beached as Bro.

#8 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I agree that tanks might be better but I want to go fairly big and im not sure about the cost.

Thanks a lot for you help, ill talk to big Johno

#9 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

i would find out what chemicals are already in the water systems on the property. the dept of agriculture may do it for you or point you in the right direction.

if you are putting in a dam i would put in at least 2 on an incline thats drainable with the bottom of the dam on an angle with the a concrete sump installed in the deepest section. that way u can drain/pump the dams into each other without water loss and easily harvest the animals from the sump area. this also aids in grading the animals for best growth.

marron in tanks arent cost effective as the stocking densities are very low but you will still need a tank to purge them.

i would recommed a trip down south and visit some of the already running farms... an excuse for some wining and dining. the nippers cafe at two peoples bay in albany used to do tours (havent been there since the change in ownership) but most farmers will let you have a gander.

#10 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

That's a great idea to put in a drain but Im thinking of a pond/dams that I can get a steady supply of Marron all year round instead of doing a 'harvest' every year. That can be done can't it?

#11 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

u can but it wouldnt be very efficient. its a contained system, if you are restocking with new critters the marron already there will be bigger, take most of the food and eat the smaller ones when they moult. you could just leave the dam to self populate but you will never know the density numbers, food wastage and if the dam/pond doesnt get drained and your over feeding you cant remove the sludge build upon the bottom.

marron aren't hardy animals, water quality is the biggest hurdle with them. i have seen them stocked in non drainable ponds but they are usually larger bodies of water that have more stable water parameters.

#12 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

great advice mate. Thanks again

#13 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

What if I have 4 or 5 different tanks or ponds for different sized marron and say one big pond for the marron that are say 3+?

#14 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

hard to say as stocking in tanks is very low and u still need to pay for pumping costs. unless they are huge tanks you would also need to have them out of the direct sunlight and the temp cant spike too often. which are the reasons that marron arent usually farmed in tanks. there are also problems like tail tail blister that also occur in tanks. even at tafe in the  blue round trout tanks numbers were where limited to 6-14 juveniles or 2-3 breeding size (not big ones) adults per tank and it was taking 2-4yrs from hatchling to descent eating size. having smaller claws means marron also have a smaller meat to waste ratio but their size more than makes up for that if your willing to wait for them to grow.

i have successfully grown them in a battery (like chooks) system inside tanks but it was a bit cruel and wouldnt recommend it unless you were gathering data or trying to get a genetic line started.

its getting near harvest time for marron before even planning anything another good option is to contact a tafe in the great southern/southwest as they often send out students to help local farmers with the harvest in exchange for a tour and experience, maybe they will let you tag along.

#15 linc3333

linc3333
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

This is great stuff Fuggers, I feel like I should be sending you some money. Thanks so much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users