South West Carpet Pythons - Free To Good Home

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Hi 

Long story short - after being messed around by countless people and offering these snakes to stores for an absolute steal. I have decided to offer my pair of adult SWCP's for free to the right home. 

Any long term members of the forum that would like a free pair of SWCP's (you will have to pay the transfer fee's) or any young reptile keepers out there that would like to try their hand at breeding (please send a PM). I am being trusting in that the person will not on sell them immediately and would just like to see them go to someone who will enjoy them.

Both adults and have produced a viable clutch of eggs in the past. Actually nice looking snakes! They handle OK without being great, both are pigs, and love a feed, but once out are generally alright. Probably wouldn't recommend them with very young children.

I would much rather see these go to a PCS member or someone part of a pet society or a young keeper. I remember being a kid/student many years ago and if i can help out a budding young reptile keeper even better,

You will need a cat 3 license, and I would like these gone within the next week as we are expecting a child and would like these gone before then.

Once these are gone - I will have some young up for sale or free to good homes to young keepers. Bottom line is I would rather give these snakes away to people who will enjoy them rather than give them to stores that were completely unwilling to help me out to then on sell the snakes.

Please PM

Edited by Peckoltia, 10 July 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#2 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

Nice work Alex, Try Ice. He might be interested.

#3 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:38 AM

First of all congratulations mate!

Secondly, I have enough bloody snakes already but thanks for the thought Az :)

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the congratulations! not long now - due date the 23rd of this month. 

All snakes have found new homes. While breeding Carpet Pythons was definitely something I enjoyed doing just to go through the experience from conditioning, pairing, mating, incubation, egg hatching and getting hatchies feeding. I would never do it again. The reptile trade is perth is essentially dead.

#5 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

Yeah its pretty buggered, unfortunately there are too many people breeding crappy quality animals and flogging them off. That coupled with the current market and nobody having any money to spend makes it tough to get rid of stock, particularly if you want to charge a decent price for a quality animal!

We got rid of most of ours at the last WAHS Reptile Expo, otherwise wed probably still have a bunch of carpet python yearlings now.

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

Similar story here with the fish scene.

Still seeing BHPs going for a grand though...... Some hope in some areas - gotta breed mine already haha.

Dave - your black heads lock up at all? Think mine where earlier this year (which seemed odd, and there both still quite small)

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Yeah both females have locked up and are looking good Jules, had to euthanise my big red Kimberly female as she had tumours in her intestine and managed to pass one and prolapse. I did an autopsy and she was chockers with developing follicles. Spewing!

#8 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

Far out! Sorry to hear that man....
Fingers crossed you’ll get a clutch to make up for it!

#9 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Cheers mate, I hope so too!

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

Similar story here with the fish scene.

Still seeing BHPs going for a grand though...... Some hope in some areas - gotta breed mine already haha.

Dave - your black heads lock up at all? Think mine where earlier this year (which seemed odd, and there both still quite small)

I think the fish scene is very much alive and well in comparison to the reptile trade. The stores have a lot to answer for, and i know the system is restrictive. But I visited a lot of stores in the last 2 months - how many times can you go to somewhere that sells reptiles only to see the same drab looking SWCP's a handful of Stimson's and maybe a single species of gecko and a few beardies? Imagine going into a fish store and only ever seeing 4 different type of fish how long your interest would last?

There are so many facets to the fish game - community, malawi, tang, exotics, marine and many many more. Feel like I've also seen far more exotics come up for sale in the last 12 months if that's your thing.

Best of luck with the BHP's.

Yeah both females have locked up and are looking good Jules, had to euthanise my big red Kimberly female as she had tumours in her intestine and managed to pass one and prolapse. I did an autopsy and she was chockers with developing follicles. Spewing!

Sorry to hear you lost your girl mate and best of luck getting some eggs out of the others.

All my snakes are now gone - kept one Stimson's python that I've had for 10 years that I didn't have the heart to let go of.

#11 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Totally agree, we are overly restricted here in terms of what we can keep. Fish hobby is cranking in comparison, so much cool stuff is available at the moment.

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

I haven't been totally up to speed - but have the new species added to the keepers lists in the last few years become available at all?

#13 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Not really mate. Nobody is taking any by the looks of it and if/when they finally do they will likely ask for ridiculous money for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users