Photo

Uneven Tank Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moses123

moses123
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

Just looking at my tank recently and noticed it was slightly uneven. It's a 6x2x2 tank (10mm glass) sitting on a metal stand with a thick piece of foam in between it.

The front left side water level is 47mm from the top and 53mm on the right.

The back left side water level is 43mm from the top and 49mm on the right.

There is a maximum difference of 10mm from back left to front right. Should this be cause for concern? This issue is due to the foam being slightly thicker on one side. Do I need to replace the foam or is it not that necessary?

Thanks for reading and any help.

Edited by moses123, 11 September 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#2 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

Don't think the level is too much of a concern itself. (Will wait for more experience guys to chip in)

I would be more concerned what is causing the unevenness, And if it is something that only recently developed?

The main concern would be if the stand which the tank sit on is compromised in some way or form. I would start there.

Maybe even the floor where the tank is?

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

Left to right isn't to much of a concern as long as it's the same front and back. The diagonal is however from back left to front right or back right to front left as this means the tank is twisted and we all know that glass doesn't twist well. You need to correct it by using a level when setting up a tank. To check that the level is correct, place it on a flat surface then turn it around and it should read the same both ways. You should try and get it level left to right as well because it looks better visually with the water level imo.

P.S  Oh and use a decent size level not one of them pissy little things.

Edited by sandgroper, 12 September 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#4 moses123

moses123
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

The unevenness is causes by the foam as one end is thicker than the other.
I guess I'm gonna have to get a new piece of foam and drain the tank.

Thanks for your help guys.

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

How long has it been set up?  Is the foam base made up of different pieces? Did you check the floor for level and then the stand before putting the tank on? These days i use a rubber mat about 10mm thick, cut to size . You can get them from Clark Rubber in one piece, the reason being i've had mice burrow through the foam base before ( tanks were in shed).

• ice likes this

#6 moses123

moses123
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Tanks been running for a little over a week, one single foam base. I didnt check the floor or stand but I'm pretty sure the issue is the foam as one side measure about 50mm and the other 40mm. I'll have to rummage through the shed to find a spirit level but rats shouldnt be a problem as it's in the house.

#7 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

what a pain to remedy 

#8 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:14 AM

I'm a bit late in this thread but to illustrate the problem of having a tank that is not level, picture this:

In a perfectly level tank, the weight of the water (downward pressure) is supported by the bottom glass and whatever is underneath. All sides are perfectly vertical so they, along with the silicone seals, only support the sidewards pressure which is much less than the downwards one I would imagine.

Tilt the tank forwards slightly, and the situation changes - now the front panel not only has to support the sidewards pressure, but the bottom silicone seal now also has to support the downwards pressure of the water that rests on the slightly tilted front panel.

Now tilt the tank to the left - you now have the same situation on the front and left panel. So the bottom silicone seal at the point where those two meet is under a LOT more stress. This will be the point of failure eventually.

How long it will take depends on how well the tank is built and the degree of tilt - but that point will eventually fail and you either end up with a slow leak through the corner or worse, a corner that fails catastrophically with potentially shattering glass.

Getting a tank perfectly level is almost impossible - but try and get it as best as you can, to minimise the forces that those side panels and their silicone seals are under. The higher the tank, the more important it is because higher = more weight of water.

#9 moses123

moses123
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:45 PM

Having a cracked/leaking tank would be a bigger pain in the ass than levelling it but everything's all good now.

I ended up buying a 180x60 16mm MDF sheet and 200x90 10mm thick rubber matting all from bunnings. I emptied the tank, caught the 10 cycling fishes and placed them in a bucket, removed 50kg's worth of sand, removed filters, heaters, etc and then removed the tank and foam and noticed how uneven it was. Then placed the mdf sheet and rubber matting on top (cut to size) and added everything else.

After filling the tank and measuring water levels, it's pretty much perfect. Thanks for everyone's input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users