Photo

Hydra Internal Filters - Hydra 40 And 50

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

Perhaps Dicky can give us some test result findings from before up until now ( 8 months later). Instead of all this guessing as i too am curious. It does sound a bit to good to be true but in this game your never to old to learn something new.

#22 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

The tech has been proven in larger industrial treatment plants, the hydra is the miniaturization of this tech to make it suitable for hobbyists. Have yet to test it myself, I tend to avoid the first gen of new aquarium tech.

#23 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Sorry I dint write down the before  using  ... and the after all I can say is there is a big change in water tests  it is in a 3ft tank (bit of an overkill)

and yes it does fill up with gunk in a week as it is on a high waste tank of  lemon bristlenose  there is no smell to water at all and it stays crystal clear

I am happy with it  BUT every one has to make there own minds up if it is going to be good for them .. on a side note I am still using the first cartridge it came with

Cheers all

Rich

PS: if you are interested in one before you buy ya welcome to come have a look

#24 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

If you can do a nitrate test and it reads less than it use to then it must work. I assume that you are still doing the same water changes. Since nitrate is the end result if it's down then it must be converting the ammonia to gas it off, resulting in less nitrite and nitrate. Let us know when it's suitable, i wouldn't mind checking it out Richard for myself as i might give one ago because you never, never know, if you don't give it ago.

#25 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:17 PM

Sorry I dint write down the before  using  ... and the after all I can say is there is a big change in water tests  it is in a 3ft tank (bit of an overkill)

and yes it does fill up with gunk in a week as it is on a high waste tank of  lemon bristlenose  there is no smell to water at all and it stays crystal clear

I am happy with it  BUT every one has to make there own minds up if it is going to be good for them .. on a side note I am still using the first cartridge it came with

Cheers all
Rich

PS: if you are interested in one before you buy ya welcome to come have a look

i just ripped mine off and turfed it the bin,,,,,
I only bought it to learn and see it.
It doesn't degrade waste like Mother Nature.

Edited by Buccal, 30 September 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#26 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

A great discussion and differing opinions which has just about convinced me to go back to 'old school' undergravel and sponge filters that I used back in the late 70's and 80's - except for one small problem, that LFS's don't seem to sell UG's any more??
Oh well - I guess its back to making my own again :-)

#27 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

A great discussion and differing opinions which has just about convinced me to go back to 'old school' undergravel and sponge filters that I used back in the late 70's and 80's - except for one small problem, that LFS's don't seem to sell UG's any more??
Oh well - I guess its back to making my own again :-)

plenty on evilbay Chris

#28 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

Paul at Morley aquariums sells undergravel   I realise not much use to you in Bunbury but always worth a phone call to find out >> Also I think Aquatix sells them ?

#29 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

UGF have an incredibly loyal following. Even today they remain amongst the most aesthetic of filters, in as far as they are so easily hidden from view. Just such a pain to clean, even compared to canister filters!

#30 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Yes, a pain to clean, will give the filter a bad name to only those that are lazy with filter cleaning....
My favorite filtering style these days is, having the bio and mech medias in seperate fail proof devices.
When the two are combined, it creates ramifications and bombs out in shorter time, then left for to long by a few weeks or months before end of clean.
Faster it is to clean a filter and together with ease,,,, then one is more likely to keep up with the maintenance on time.... :)

Edited by Buccal, 02 October 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#31 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

Ozone is extremely safe and effective disinfectant. I have conducted experiments with ozone and ozone with combination of probiotics. Many marine and finfish hatcheries are switching to ozone.

My degree is not your concern. I do work as a consultant for two aquaculture farms. I offer solutions in fish health, nutrition and environmental policies.

Hi Bostave

As someone who has done formal studies in Aquaculture and Biological Sciences and worked in both fields, I know very little about using ozone as a disinfectant. Can you please run me through the experiments you have done? I find this thread quite interesting but the actual information you have presented so far on the use of ozone in recirculating systems in this thread is super limited. 

On a side note, it is good to know that people in Perth are making a living off Aquaculture. I studied Aquaculture at Challenger Tafe a bit over a 10 years ago when I was fresh faced out of High School, completing Cert's II and III before I realised that it was next to impossible to earn a decent living in Perth as an Farm Technician/Consultant at the time. Ended up going to Uni and doing a degree in Biological Sciences and working in construction instead. 

I recently had a look at Aquaculture jobs out of curiosity, it is criminal what the average Farm Technician/Consultant gets paid in Australia, pretty much on par with being employed at Myer (not that their is anything wrong with retail). Especially when you take into consideration that at certain times of the year you will need to be in at work 7 days a week during - spawning run etc. 

Cheers, 

Alex

#32 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hi Alex,
I would love to talk to you about my experiments using ozone. Hope to meet with you in person hopefully at the PCS meetings.
I worked as a technician previously and now prefer to work as a consultant so I can ask for a contract that pays me as per my qualifications and experience.
Regards,
Bostave

#33 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Bostave

I don't attend any PCS meetings so that may be difficult. I am pretty much just a Freshwater Stingray keeper at the moment, so don't find the PCS meetings all that relevant to my fish keeping. I have met some great people through this site who I now consider friends and get my 'fish talk' fix that way. Putting the information up on this thread, would not only be helpful to me but others on this site. 

I was hoping that I could get some first hand experience here from someone who is employed as an Aquaculture Consultant and has done studies on the use of ozone in recirculating systems. As it has always been my understanding that ozone (being a highly reactive gas) is potentially dangerous to the user and to live stock if not used correctly. Yes, the half life of ozone in air (as a gas) is very short in duration (a handful of seconds, as previously stated) but in water can have a residual effect that can be harmful to both the biofilter and stock if not managed correctly. From memory, and again my memory isn't always the greatest residual concentrations of ozone can persist in recirculating systems, and can be toxic to inhabitants at very low concentrations ~0.1ppm? 

A word I have seen littered throughout this thread has been the word 'safe'. If there is the potential to harm the user and potentially livestock through the misapplication of ozone, then ozone hardly seems safe to me? Especially when telling people how extremely safe it is without giving proper methods of application. 

I am aware of sensors used;oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) sensor could be used and linked to an ozone generator to kick in once the ORP reading falls below a set value, ensuring that ozone is only generated and used in the system to a point where it is 'safe' for inhabitants. But lets be honest, how many hobbyists would be willing to set up or have the know how to set up and understand such a system? Not many.  

To me it seems that the use of ozone is probably something the average punter should be steered away from rather then perpetuating how safe its use is. Sound biological and and mechanical filtration coupled with regular tank maintenance, now that is what I would call safe!

Cheers, 

Alex

#34 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hi Alex,
I have used ozone in laboratory and on farms. I have used three kinds of ozone generators. The residues mostly bromides in ozonated seawater are sometimes actually disinfective. There was small unit that measure ozone in the air. I agree with you comments. I hope to meet you and discuss this in person.
Regards,
Bostave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users