Photo

were to find seahorses?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 beno

beno
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

i was just wondering wer you find sea horses in perth and are they hard to care for. soltwater or freshwater etc..

ben

#2 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

Not sure on freshwater species, but the common marine seahorses are a little hard to look after because of the sensitivity to light and they eat very timidly.

Not sure 100% but i heard that Midland was going to get a cold water species of seahorses. Might be good to pop in and have a talk to them, they are always helpful.

If you buy one from what ever store you find make sure you observe the seahorse vividly at the store and make sure it has been there for about 5 days min if it is CB (captive bred) or at least 1 week if it is WC (wild caught). It may be hard to see but if you can during feeding notice the seahorse that eats the most, the fish store will probably feed brine shrimp which isn't entirely good for seahorses but if the seahorse eats that you can tell it is a healthy specimin. Ask them what they feed it and how long they have been. You should look for stores that feed them Mysis shrimp or ghost shrimp.

If the store only feeds them brine shrimp i would avoid it unless it hasn't been fed for that long as the chances are it is already malnourished.

They are quite easy to keep if you keep the water clean and feed them good nutrient filled food such as mysis, ghost and a bit of brine shrimp. Also make sure your tank has been cycles for at least 4 months + for them.

Hope i helped :roll:

#3 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

Just wondering why this is in the tankbusters section?

#4 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

Marine is crammed into the "Other" section :roll:

#5 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

check this web site out
http://www.saseahorse.com
they should be very helpful

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

"Tank Busters and Other Fish" Other = Marine smile.gif

#7 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

i have seen sea horses at vebas quite often

#8 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

i was also thinking about getting some seahorses for my marine im setting up but i was talkin to a guy that breeds them and he reakens there very finicky but if you waters good etc they should be good but still a bit more advanced.

ps. aaa has some

#9 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

(dazzabozza)

"Tank Busters and Other Fish" Other = Marine smile.gif

Aah - thankyou.

#10 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

hey benno
id fully recomend research this first - though not hard to keep if your asking "freshwater or saltwater", do some reaserch or it will cost you a packet and youll have nothing to show for it in a few months time.
since the banning of imported species the prices have been on the rise for 2 years, in the case of the hippocampus sp anyway, so yeah make sure youve got a good grasp on how to keep marines before you try seahorses as there a more shy character and dont go well with anthing boysterous, id recomend keeping them with manderins and mayb cardinals or firetail gobies
steve

#11 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

mandarins now there is a near impossible marine species to keep. They are such amazing fish and so vibrant just to keep them fed is a hard part. Well worth the time and effort IMO.

Here is a google image of mandarins:

sorry for off topic a bit :roll:

#12 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

they do really well with other shy feeders, though in saying that nearly all my tanks have either spotteds or the original mandarins in there and there all fine

#13 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

Whoa do you have them in nearly all your tanks? Vibrant colours like that?

That means your tanks must be very well kept biggrin.gif i saw one at verbas for like $20 something but it was very drab colours might have been another type of mandarin, Any chance of some pictures?

#14 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

Veba's actually has about 8 large mandarins when i last popped in.
Good Size too 6-8 cm easy and a few were eating the brine shrimp.
They also had some target mandarins or Synchiropus picturatus which were quite small about 3-4cm but in good shape.

You should pop in I really like their mandarins and if I had a sw tank would snap one up, make sure your tank has a substantial pod colony which can sustain it's diet until you can wean it onto frozen.

#15 muscle-man

muscle-man
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

My missus and I went up north last week to Kalbarri and we find that if you want to know more about seahorse you can contact Kalbarri Seahorse Sanctury/ Breeding Farm.

Phone: 08 9937 1124
Fax: 08 9937 1124

"The Seahorse Sanctuary is an exciting new tourist attraction in Kalbarri where visitors are invited to experience the fascinating world of seahorse aquaculture. Wild seahorses are taken from our oceans every year to provide pets to a growing aquarium industry and few survive captivity. The Seahorse Sanctuary is forging a new industry in the culture of seahorses that are adapted to both survive and thrive as pets in home aquaria, thus conserving wild seahorse populations.

View the main breeding stable on a self guided tour and see all aspects of seahorse culture from newborn to adult with "push button" interpretation provided. Or for the complete seahorse experience, book on a personalised guided tour with a biologist.

There are only a handful of seahorse breeders in the world, even fewer open to the general public. The Seahorse Sanctuary had more species currently being bred and on display than any other similar facility in the world."

They sell their seahorse to Pets shop all around WA.

The seahorse that they bred are stronger and is easy to keep because it has been trained to eat certain freeze-dried food.

I think you should give them a call if you want any infomation regarding to keeping these seahorses and where to buy them.

Hope this info is useful.

#16 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:33 AM

they dont sell to public usally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users