Photo

Suggestion: Go To First New Post Button

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

Could we implement a new button? I would like one that takes me to my first unread post in a thread. I use this feature extensively on other forums, such as fordforums.com.au

#2 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

cant you just click on the last page?

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Ummm, how exactly does the system know which posts you have read in a thread? Or do you mean first unread thread in a forum?
all I use is the "view new posts" button, shows me everything I haven't looked at.

#4 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

+1

#5 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yes it remembers.

I haven't seen the code, but I'll bet it remembers the last time you looked at that thread and takes you to the next datestamp. It's useful for threads that expand rapidly.

For goodness sake don't write a module to do this. I'm just asking in case there's a box not ticked or a module not installed in this forum's software. If it's not an easy thing then forget it. smile.gif

#6 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

ok I looked into this briefly.
the forum will remember which threads you looked at and can show you the new posts. there are two options:

1. use the "view new posts" link to get a list of threads with new posts since your last visit. then, instead of clicking on the heading, click on the orange icon. this will take you straight to the new post.
2. use "my assistant" -> new posts -> click on icon on the right to go straight to the new posts.

#7 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:45 AM

Wow it actually works biggrin.gif Thanks Tim!

#8 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

awesome, my new favourite tool.

#9 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

Those little orange dots next to thread titles will take you to the first unread reply/post in that thread.

Daz

#10 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Jan 28 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ummm, how exactly does the system know which posts you have read in a thread? Or do you mean first unread thread in a forum?
all I use is the "view new posts" button, shows me everything I haven't looked at.

And how exactly does the system know which posts you haven't looked at? Exactly the same way, using cookies of course.

I agree with the OP, it would be nice if it jumped to the first page containing an unread post in the thread, and scrolled to that post as well.

Once the system has presented you with a page containing posts, it will assume you have read all the posts on that page. A trivial addition I would think.

QUOTE (theonetruepath @ Jan 29 2011, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And how exactly does the system know which posts you haven't looked at? Exactly the same way, using cookies of course.

I agree with the OP, it would be nice if it jumped to the first page containing an unread post in the thread, and scrolled to that post as well.

Once the system has presented you with a page containing posts, it will assume you have read all the posts on that page. A trivial addition I would think.

Just saw Dazza's post. Such a trivial change it's already been done :>

thanks for that

#11 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

It wasnt a change.
The little orange box has always been there smile.gif

#12 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

When I asked that question I was referring to the posts on the same page - the system doesn't know which ones you physically looked at, it just assumes you have looked at all of them smile.gif
And yes it wasn't a change, just pointing out some of the functions that people may not know.

#13 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (werdna @ Jan 29 2011, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wasnt a change.
The little orange box has always been there smile.gif

Just checked some old screenshots -- you're right! Never really noticed it before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users