Photo

Lex The Little Fish Nerd

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

Don't know if I put this in the right area, feel free to move it!

So I saw a post on another forum about someone's fish keeping journey and well I'll start me 3-5 year journey and tell you guys all about it, that's if you guys want to hear it!

It all started 5 years ago (I think?) and I went into city farmers with my mum to get some dog food and asked that one question "can I go upstairs and look at the fishies?" A reply of "ok, but don't take too long!" (I did take a long time ) all the different tanks ,red, blue, green, yellow ect, but I went to the silver, not cichlids but Bala/silver sharks don't ask why I liked them because I don't know? But I loved them instantly of course I asked everytime "mum can I get some fishies today?" I got smaked with a "no, now let's go!"

28th of April 2010 (my birthday)
It was time I ran into my parents room and woke them up crazily, they took me to the car and in the boot of the Volvo there it was in all its glory a 30 gallon blue planet! I know it's not much but it looked like something I would but a Bala/silver shark in and I did I grabbed 5 and a pair of male red empress, (I KNOW) I was told "should be fine at City farmers" (it wasnt) I lost a shark each week till I had one left, when there was one no one really bothered him, I then got a strong bond with this shark he was my favourite, I then went with cichlids and a Bala/silver, it worked for 2 years I had 32 fish, 5 petricola, 1 shark and 26 cichlids (2 red empress, 1 ngara flame tail, 2 cobalt, 2 elec yellows, 1 lemon jake, 1 red flush, 1 ob and the rest I can't remember) then one morning I woke looked in the tank and there were all the fish but I couldn't find sharkie, then I noticed a white blob of fish flesh on the surface (it was him) I cried, screamed and chucked a tanty and yelled the words "I hate cichlids their idiots I'm selling them!" And that was it I sold them$$$

To be continued...

#2 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

Here goes part two...

So that day I was in a bad state I lost my favourite fish of all time to a set of what I called idiots, that day I said that's it I've had enough so we drained to tank to 30% caught all the cichlids put them in an esky and off we went to the lfs (morley aquarium) I went in and instantly wanted to have an all silver shark tank! But ended up with angelfish guppy, dwarf gourami, pleco, apistgramma (agazazzi?) tank and that ran great for a year of so till I got hit with an ammonia spike, I heard angels can be mean so I ignored the spike (didn't know there was a spike at the time) it and blamed the Angels for a week till I went to the lfs got a water test and did 50-70% water changes every 2-3 days for 10 days! I had the problem with those community fish as well I just didn't know what I liked!

Then there was that day were I came in saw Paul (the cichlid master) handed in the community fish asked what should I get, I already kept a display of cichlids and a community tank but I wanted a challenge, I looked into breeding all kinds of things Angels, gourami, rainbow fish, even killifish. But then I remembered how easily my cichlids would breed in my first tank, yes they were hybrids but they were breeding!

So when I came into morley the lfs that day, Paul didn't seem the happiest probably hating me for sending him emails daily "what about rainbow fish can I breed them, are they hard to keep, are the a mouth brooder?" But as soon as he heard me say cichlids boy did his mood change he was talking for about 1/2-1 hour about cichlids!

But then there were so many different types to choose from...

To be continued...

#3 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:03 AM

Ep.3

Choosing a cichlid now that was the hard part! I came in to the lfs for about 2 weeks if not more, I was looking for that one special fish cobalt blue zebras, that is what I finally set my mind on but I was still unsure and then I noticed on the top shelf they weren't cobalt's but a group of 12 German bred ngara flametails, they were about $200-$300, I had $120 so my dad finally gave into my pestering and I got some money! I got them I couldn't hold my excitement in for long, when we were in the car well let's just say my dad and brother got bored really quick! "When they breed it'll be so cool they shake their fins and stuff!" I put them in the tank asap (10 min floating in the water) the male was nuts, still is! d2f0bca468742ca66592f11438bf3aa9.jpg and then I spammed the forums with the "why aren't they breeding stuff" over about 1-2 months, little did I know that I had 4/8 females holding, first strip I got about 50 fry, but now I have 15+ of them due to malnourishment, I felt 15 wasn't enough so about 2-3 months after, I grabbed 60 more fry off two females and right now I have about 70 fry! These fry are in a 64 litre tank so I will need to move them on!

I am hoping to sell the fry and adult colony and buy, a German bred Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta colony of 8 and some shellies for my 64 litre (15 gallon) fry tank!

Unfortunately my story is a little bit short but I am 14 and have had fish for not that long!

But I hope to update if I can on this and keep you guys interested!

#4 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

12.03am and still awake, posting???

GO TO BED YOUNG MAN!!!  :P 

#5 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Me, in a grumpy mood, never!, I am always as happy as a unicorn fart

#6 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

is that in a space suit? or out back in the unicorn paddock ?   ;)

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Speaking of unicorns, who remembers this video?

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:20 PM

Paul... was talking for about 1/2-1 hour about cichlids!

He must have been in a hurray that day... :P

#9 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

Sorry paul if that was a bit rude!

Jim I'm on holiday right now!

Jason I know Charlie the unicorn!
Malawi a real hurry XD

#10 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

Not rude at all, accurate description really.

#11 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

Ahh good to know!

#12 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

Bringing this back!

Have now been breeding my ngara for quite a while, a deal popped up for some cyprichromis even better rather than having to sell my ngara colony to free up my tank, my parents just bought me a 4 foot instead! So I'm soon hoping to get some cyprichromis and paracyprichromis to breed in the 4 foot! My small fry are now juvies some real nice colour coming through, I will be picking a small colony out and growing them out a bit before I sell them! Here are the fry! You can easily see a few possible breeder males! also made a fresh ngara strip 2 day ago! Perfect timing! I won't keep the ngara for too much longer what peacock do you guys recommend I breed next, red flush/flash? What ever it is it can't be too expensive from Germany! Enjoy!

#13 Bailey

Bailey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

Me, in a grumpy mood, never!, I am always as happy as a unicorn fart

How happy is a unicorn fart?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

#14 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

question of the week!

#15 Bailey

Bailey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

question of the week!

Haha, LOL

#16 Bailey

Bailey
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:51 PM

No ones answered my question yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

Haha

Yes I'm young, but I'm smarter than you think!

#18 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Setting up the 4 foot soon, humbug the cyps will love it haha.

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444040363.139593.jpg   262.92KB   13 downloads

All the holes cut looks pretty sweet!

So far had only some problems with trying to fit the Astro hoses behind the tank! Looks like they might squeeze through!

One who throws dirt is loosing ground ~Confucius

#19 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

Dads 5 foot display is looking amazing!

Especially with the afternoon sun!

Like father like son

#20 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

What do you think, more buffer? Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447057291.983315.jpg   518.24KB   8 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users