Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

keleherr's Content

There have been 12 items by keleherr (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#365042 New Pilbara Species

Posted by keleherr on 14 February 2018 - 12:52 PM in ANGFA WA

Big of an update. Went back up last week to determine the current distribution of these guys and fortunately it looks like they are currently restricted to a few pools below the dam and haven't establish populations in downstream refuge pools after a recent flow event. Now to try and remove them. Hardy buggers found them in a pH of 9.7.

mol.jpg

Also caught a boonta spang

DSCN0767.JPG

https://www.facebook...cEnvironmental/

#365041 What Is It???

Posted by keleherr on 14 February 2018 - 12:38 PM in ANGFA WA

Did you still have it? Happy to have a crack at the ID

#364060 Gymnothorax Polyuranodon

Posted by keleherr on 10 November 2017 - 08:56 AM in ANGFA WA

Nice where did you score that? Brendon Ebner over east is working on them and has a few. Might be some info in his papers/reports

#364059 Subspecies?

Posted by keleherr on 10 November 2017 - 08:52 AM in ANGFA WA

Depends what your definition of a species is. I'll admit I don't know much about genetics but hey have some number/cut off that means they are different even if they are morphologically the same. Yet you can have 2 populations that have distinct morphological differences and are miles apart but are are the same sp. genetically. That's my experience with fish.

#363018 Collecting In The South West

Posted by keleherr on 15 August 2017 - 11:44 AM in ANGFA WA

Haven't worked at the freshwater fish group for a while.

Don't think so, they don't have the facilities to produce fish on a large scale. Fisheries had a facility but there is no funding to run it.

Best chance is to protect important areas and translocate/reintroduce these species into other suitable habitats. 

As these species have no recreational value little money will be thrown at them compared to species like Murray Cod.  

With what I said before about the EPBC act offering the most protection it was not entirely accurate. It depends what the project may be (e.g. oil and gas has its own legislation) and different government bodies state or federal and acts have different agreements with who has the most pull. In the case of nearshore and inland fish, my understanding is fisheries/ WA state has the most pull.

As an example, even though Sawfish were listed by the feds you could still take them. It wasn't until they were listed by the state they were given complete protection. That was a few years ago and I'm not sure how the agreements all work now

#363002 Collecting In The South West

Posted by keleherr on 14 August 2017 - 11:42 AM in ANGFA WA

Depends what list it is on state, fed or international. Each of these have different criteria for each category.  Of the fish listed, only trutts and balstons are on the fed (EPBC) list which offers the most protection for a species, can stop projects etc. So even though the status is lower it could be seen as higher if that makes sense.

G. munda is probably on there due to salinisation as the require fairly fresh water and probably suffered a range decline.

#363000 New Pilbara Species

Posted by keleherr on 14 August 2017 - 10:40 AM in ANGFA WA

If they aren't in the dam or mash we will wait till the river pools up to hopefully a few small pools then hit them with pumps, netting and rotenone. Things have been complicated by Ophthamia dam needing to release as it is about to burst, so we have to hold off a bit. If they are in the dam it might be too late but from the previous survey I don't think they are.

#362996 New Pilbara Species

Posted by keleherr on 14 August 2017 - 09:37 AM in ANGFA WA

We found them below Ophthalmia Dam in Newman so might have been released by someone leaving town. Only other fish there are spangs, bows and hyrtl's. The second round of sampling happened during a flood pulse so numbers would have been thinned out from the original few pools. We caught 20 over a 25km  which was about 10km back from pulse head.

We sampled above the dam and didn't find them but will be going back to check out the dam and how far down they have made it. Plan is to knock them off before they reach the marsh which would allow them to reach the lower Fortescue if the marsh maintains water and a decent cyclone hits

#362974 Wild crystal shrimp and fish pics

Posted by keleherr on 11 August 2017 - 03:24 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

its a washed out occidentalis. nigrostriata is found a bit further up around Perth but munda is south

#362973 New Pilbara Species

Posted by keleherr on 11 August 2017 - 03:14 PM in ANGFA WA

Unfortunately found these guys in the upper Fortescue River over a 25km reach. They popped up on the second round of sampling so they haven't been in there too long. Will be going up again shortly to see how far they have spread and try work out an eradication plan to try remove them before the next flood.

20689991_773398612838892_8956318536423314571_o.jpg

https://www.facebook...?type=3

#359954 Snaps From Work

Posted by keleherr on 01 March 2017 - 09:49 AM in ANGFA WA

Here's a poster from work with some of the things we commonly catch. Post things on the indo-pacific environmental facebook page occasionally.

poster.jpg

#359830 Collecting In The South West

Posted by keleherr on 22 February 2017 - 03:48 PM in ANGFA WA

I heard, though probably in low numbers; not enough to rejuvenate the populations, and the trout minnow is still listed as critically endangered.

Think they just collected fish about to spawn and milked them as they couldn't get them to condition in the tubs.

They are listed because they are so restricted and the assessment process. Their main location is the Goodga River the weir caused them to pretty much disappear from the upper half and a reduction like that gets it listed. Since the fishway went in they are now throughout but are still listed due to them being restricted. Same species exist over east and is common but this population is distinct being land locked and a different species if you talk to a geneticist, but so are pygmy perch from 2 neighboring rivers...

Such as?

Instead of dealing with just fisheries you are now dealing with DPaw and the feds who have their own sets of rules. You would have to prove things like taking some individuals wouldn't harm the overall population and the genetics of your stock is appropriate for release/won't be detrimental to the genetics of the wild population. I'm all for captive breeding but its not a straight forward or cheap task.

The trout minnow breeding was part of an 850k NRM grant.

That's promising, though I'd think it would take a lot of time for something like that to happen.

It got listed again and nominated for listing under the EPBC act because who wants to fund research on non listed animals or animals of low economic value.