Photo

Feeding Your L Numbers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Chilli Powder

Chilli Powder
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Here's my friends tank. He feeds new era rift lake green and catfish pellet. You can see that there is not much activity in tank but when the pellets hit the ground, they are out. smile.gif

Link to YouTube L201, L134, L397 and L066 eating New Era

#22 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

i dont mean to be negative towards your food but heres some plecos eating bloodworms.... no comparison in my books... natural food wins hands down... enjoy the zebs smile.gif

#23 Chilli Powder

Chilli Powder
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Those zebras are amazing. wish I had the cash to grab them. smile.gif

I think fish/catfish will always prefer fresh/live food compared to a pellet. but the fact is that any pellet will have more nutritional value if you were to compare 'pound for pound'. frozen bloodworm also have about 5% nutritional value. It's something that I was always told. Not sure whether you know this but foods oxidise in the thawing process and most of the time when the cell membrane break, all the nutrients end up in the thawing water. Unless ofcourse the food is snap frozen etc. Food for thought cool.gif

Edited by Chilli Powder, 19 March 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#24 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

i dont always agree with you... the manufacturer of pellets will always tell you what you wanna hear about nutrition... and in reality they put whatever they can into the pellet to make it cheap... usually the ingredients they list are in decending order of quantity... just the ones they want to list anyway... i dont think theres laws and regulations that regulate fish aquarium foods ! especially in overseas countries !

quick example a mate of mine got some 007 fry same time as myself... he fed prodominantly carnivor pellets and i only feed bloodworms , brine shrimp , daphnia , cyclopeze , and cherry/ninja shrimp...
my biggest male is close on 16cm... and is big broad and robust... his biggest male would be 12cm and looks very b-grade after looking at my male... my females are all fat and not far from breeding... his girls look very average and far from breeding size and condition.... i kept mine in a tank 1/3 the size of his... which will give my mate a slight advantage one would think....

can rattle off a few more but i dont really have the time right now

#25 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

What form are the bloodworms in, Johnno?

#26 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

small round and elongated... much like a normal worm smile.gif..... frozen is the most common smile.gif

#27 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ha Johnno beat me to it, Klienz you know what bloodworms are don't ya?

#28 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Which variety is prefered between butternut, ironbark and japanese pumpkin?

#29 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

What ever you have mate :)

#30 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I don't have any  :lol: but my BNs and L397s are loving the zucchini so I thought to add some variety next time I veggie up. 

#31 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Butternut for sure.

#32 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Cheers waxy. Seeing as they part of your spawn, I'll go with what they know. They're still slightly elusive, I think because the bristlenoses are larger and held the territory first, but veggies seem to be the way to coax them out so far.

#33 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

They will come out for zuchinni mainly. That was a big part of there diet raising them. Just put it in raw and leave the skin on. Thats there favourite part.

Sera Flora flake is another favourite for them. 

I found they would always come out and about in a community tank full of tetras and similar.

It was not until they reached maturity that they stayed hidden in wood/logs in breeding mode.

From memory Bigjohn feeds his 397s broccoli stalk. Might be worth a try too.

#34 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

With zucchini, the BN eats the guts, and the L397s peel the skin. I've been putting in two semicircle slices (so BN can't babysit and claim it all), completely raw, pierced onto snags on driftwood to keep it from floating. Yoyo loach and Bala shark also seem to give it a nibble. I'll give broccoli stalk a try. Generally the tank gets a pinch of Aqua One Color, a few crushed Aqua One Vege wafers and a pinch of NLS community formula, though I'd like to offer more fresh food when possible. Sera is on my list for next time because it seems to be recommended often online.

#35 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

My Small Albino Longfins Love Sera Flake Lol

#36 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

i find queensland blue pumpkins best value for your dollar... most flesh at cheapest price... when par boiled to soften it - all smaller vege catties love it.....

any pumpkin will suffice... try to avoid the imported american ones though... they really foul up the tank quick compared to aussie pumpkins... soil type and fertilizers i would expect is the difference....

#37 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

With the baby brine shrimp has anyone tried the "Instant baby brine" from Ocean nutrition. I had a look at it on youtube and it looks the goods.

I finally got around to trying this stuff. Ive been through a whole jar so far and the fry are loving it. They go nuts as soon as it hits the water! I just squirt the stuff in with a pipette and it stays up in the water for a while before sinking. Its pricey though so the fry wont be on it as staple.

#38 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

hi guys, areal rookie here and this is my first post. ive got large numbers of daphnia here i breed for my community tanks for my l numbers will they chase them down alive or should i chill and kill them first? feedback appreciated thanks

#39 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

live is best for carnivors 

#40 Dylan Simmons

Dylan Simmons
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Id recommend rinsing the baby brine just because the saltwater and their hatching "juice" is pretty bad for the fish might not be a problem if you feed them brine shrimp once every week but it sure might once everyday, but who knows it could be pre rinsed but better safe then sorry :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users