Photo

glow fish

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jack

jack
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

did people see this on channel nine scientists have give fish jellyfish genees and it made them glow they did this while trying to make them change colour when toxins were added to water just wondering peoples views on this.

#2 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

I posted this up awhile ago, i think they are quite a nice looking fish don't get me wrong all painted fish are nice looking we can't deny that but the sick and disturbing stuff we need to do to get them there is far beyond not worth it.

I am not 100% sure but painted fish live only a few months and this is just a scientists idea of genetic engineering gone wild.

I am against it unless it is proven each fish is pain free and healthy.

Nic

#3 Noobfish

Noobfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

yeh i saw that on channel 9 not long ago, glofish has been around for a long time since 2003, as far as i know they are not painted but genetically modified only by getting fed reef protein and protein from jelly fish and maybe other stuff, they are gonna try pass the bill atm and if it gets the green light we're gonna have alot of glofish in our shores =P just zebra danios , i personally think they are really cool but sorta against it, but if they do pass the bill, i am gonna try feed a couple of glofish to my americans see if they glow =P

#4 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

good grief

someone get these scientists some girlfriends.......... :roll:

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

(monobono)
good grief

someone get these scientists some girlfriends.......... :roll:

ROFLMAO laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Too true..

#6 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:55 PM

laugh.gif to true i think these better more important things then making jelly fish glow cancer mabe ?

#7 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

I doubt they are going to be allowable imports any time soon. We had a visit and letter from AQIS in May in regards to these fish - the current penalties for importing them without obtaining special permission (which I doubt they will give) are up to $220,000 fine and 5 years jail.

#8 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

(Vebas)
I doubt they are going to be allowable imports any time soon. We had a visit and letter from AQIS in May in regards to these fish - the current penalties for importing them without obtaining special permission (which I doubt they will give) are up to $220,000 fine and 5 years jail.

I think even if they were allowed in - IMO any LFS selling them would be making a mistake on the basis of peoples feelings in this area of 'ornamental fish'.

#9 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

Alot of non Pcs sponsored stores close to me woudn't give a toot how much the locals care they are money money money biggrin.gif

I think they will come into Australia and cost a heap then coz they are only danios they will breed and breed costing next to nothing.

Also someone will feed them to a TBer and there fish will get sick so the law will change and they will be banned biggrin.gif

Thats my phycic prediction ahah biggrin.gif

#10 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

(NicholasC)
Alot of non Pcs sponsored stores close to me woudn't give a toot how much the locals care they are money money money biggrin.gif

I think they will come into Australia and cost a heap then coz they are only danios they will breed and breed costing next to nothing.

Also someone will feed them to a TBer and there fish will get sick so the law will change and they will be banned biggrin.gif

Thats my phycic prediction ahah biggrin.gif

You have made the mistake of thinking the government cares for TB's - most TBs are illegal.

#11 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

I just used it as a example, say if i bred glofish and they became something like $2 at stores and not worth my time selling anymore i might feed one to my barramundi if it got sick or even started glowing they might reconsider them in Australia.

But then again is it true that once it is here and bred they don't give a toot?

Like Ey's they are an illegal import but hey there are that many of them bred here they don't want to bother the hobby or waste their time biggrin.gif

#12 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

if the government cared about tb,s thye would be cheaper and it would stop smugglers and best of all i could buy more :twisted:

#13 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

Are stuff like gigas and TSN's smuggled??? Sorry for off topic sad.gif

#14 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

They are a GM fish, and at the moment at least are (as far as I am aware) noxious, not just illegal to import.

Personally if they were available I would stock them. I don't really have any ethical problems myself with the Glofish - they are important for a lot of medical and other research, and don't seem to have any negative effects in terms of health and lifespan from the modification (they have been around for years so the research into this has been done). Unlike injected/dyed/tattooed fish, which I am strongly against.

As far as I know they are trademarked though, so even if you could import them I think it would be illegal to breed and sell them (same as some plants are).

#15 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

to make them glow they dont feed them the protein. the genes that express the glow protein in the jellyfish have been inserted into the danios genome. unless it cross breeds with another species which i doubt it poses no threat to the environment. so if you feed them to other fish they wouldnt get sick or glow.
personally i think its a good idea to protect waterways from contaminants. and this work with gene transferring could one day be used to treat and detect cancers before it reaches its advanced stages.
All these people that chuck a hissy fit over GM usually dont have a clue about it and think its going to cause the end of the world. Thats why theres so many dramas involved with getting the bill passed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users