Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Worst Fish Keeper In Perth? (possibly Australia?)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

very nice, thanks for posting. The plants in the first vid look real, are they?

#22 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

All real bud,.if you want some you can have some for free. Might also have a couple of young male's for ya. I'd have to look.

#23 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hey mate, couple o tips I've picked up for breeding BN. 3-4inches of gravel with an under gravel filter works really well. 1 cave for each male and an even ratio of females. Around 24 degrees temp. zucchini and pumpkin are great BN foods as well as a bit o wood to chew on smile.gif
I know most of that has been said all ready but that was my breeding tank setup and it was pumping out the fry constantly smile.gif hope your tank goes well and you get lots of fry smile.gif

Cheers
Rigs

And your not the worst fish keeper in Perth........ My next door neighbour is!!!! Lol

#24 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, i visited bigjohnnofish last friday night to pick up three males to replace the one i have...wow, what a setup! I think there may be some action in my tank but cant be too sure just yet. One of the males didnt leave his cave when i dropped in some algae wafers tonight, stayed in his cave and looked to be fanning on and off, but ill have a better look in a few days time...dont wanna disturb any potential love-making!

#25 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

Good luck with the BN super love tank!!

Bigjohnno's fish room is freakin sick ey smile.gif

#26 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Still no action...

Checked water parameters, all good. Nitrates were lower than i expected at 5.

Nick i see you had your temp at 24. Mines at 26-27. Anyone think this could be lowered?

All ive done since the last post has been water changes. Feeding 2x a week either zucchini or pumpkin.

Anything else i can try? Or do i just need to hurry up and wait?

#27 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

tbh mate.. if they still are not breeding it might just be those fish that dont want to breed together... maybe grab some already breeding BN`s.. im sure there is members who have multiple breeding BN`s who might sell u some!

IMO i dont think you are doing anything wrong... so dont think its you!

Edited by Evil_Boof, 17 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#28 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (westcoastpara @ May 17 2012, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nick i see you had your temp at 24. Mines at 26-27. Anyone think this could be lowered?
Anything else i can try? Or do i just need to hurry up and wait?

well I can tell you that those b/n were in 29 - 30 degrees from when they were only a couple of cm's. About 6 months before you got them off me, they were reqularly fanning eggs in the D cave. the kribs i had were always picking off the eggs every opportunity they had. don't know why they wont breed for you.

#29 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

jase ive replaced the males i got from you with others, as they werent fanning, plus taken a female out and added another in. Its now a really different group.

Ill see if i can get some photos tomorrow so everyone can rate the setup. Only got a phone camera so we'll see how we go with that!

#30 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

tried big water changes daniel son? 40% could do the trick

#31 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

i have jase, i change between 40-60% every water change. Tried 80%, tried 20%, nothing

#32 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Try doing a water change when it rains next mate worked for me lol got something to do with the drop in barometer replicating there natural breeding season or something like that...

#33 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I don't think temps an issue, possibly throw in another male and female and see how they go smile.gif

#34 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Another pair you reckon riggers? I thought it was getting a bit cramped in there already. What's your reasoning for that?

#35 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

bn breed in any temp from 20-30 degrees so you can rule that out.... ph isnt really an issue either... between 6-8 ph.... dont need rain/ro/bore water... tap water is fine...(treated of course)
lights on/off isnt an issue... but i recommend a 14 hour light cycle....

keep an eye on your females just feed twice a day... make sure all the morning food is gone before the night feed and vice versa... left over food - cut volume down a bit.... and when girls are fat as whack through a couple extra water changes.... 30% is fine... dont need to go overboard... once a week 30% will be fine untill females are fat and gravid... then do 3 in a row over 3 days... then no more water changes for 2 weeks....
only food exception being zucchinni it can stay in tank 2-3 days till all eaten... or it goes soft ready to mush into your tank water....

if they still wont breed then you have a water issue... prob heavy metal contamination..... best to get some EDTA and add to your water changes to rectify that... (can get it from aquotix)

the males you got from should be up to doing their part... must be a female issue... sounds like humans now!!! lol

#36 westcoastpara

westcoastpara
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the tips jonno, I've started feeding them up this morning :-)

#37 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

mate i have about 15 bristlenose in my tank i did everything mentioned above and quite a few of my fish came from bigjohnnos (because there tops wink.gif )and ive only had them lay eggs once but when they did i was in the process of moving house so the male got spooked and kicked em out but ever since then i still havent got mine to bread either but just sorted out a rack today so when the waters cycled ill try and divide them all up but yeh as i said mate theres alot of people that just cant seem to get them to breed even if there doing everything right but good luck anyways mate!

#38 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (westcoastpara @ May 18 2012, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another pair you reckon riggers? I thought it was getting a bit cramped in there already. What's your reasoning for that?

Same reason I go to different pubs, Variety!! smile.gif might have luck with a different female lol smile.gif

#39 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

hey dude,i had same troubles with my bn in a similar size tank and i tried lots of ways,put temp right up,put right down,put gravel,took it out,bigger tank ,smaller tank,big water change small water change in the end i put a chunky piece of driftwood about the size of 2 fists in the middle of the tank with a d cave either side of wood and i thought if it happens, it happens . after nearly 2 weeks i went to change their water and wammo bn fry every where absolutely heaps,from 2males and 1 female,,could be coincidence? don't know but until rearanging the tank,,nothing, also had no substrate when they had fry but that doesn't make a diference anyway had heaps of light,temp was fixed at 27 degrees and female was plump , all 3 bn were 10 cm.

i guess that's what worked for me ,suppose patience and persistence is the key,good luck.
cheers,
Con.

#40 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

whenever i set up another b/n breeding tank i put in 1 cave and a male and 1-3 females varying size from 6-8cm... depending whats on hand... and if they havent bred in 2-3 weeks i'd take em out and feed em to the rtc... lol... but its never happened yet smile.gif maybe they need to breed under the threat of being a feeder fish... smile.gif

everyone whos having problems - got to be either not enough food... or a water quality related issue... thats it... any male bn will breed with any female bn.... bit like natives after a few drinks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users