Photo

Breeding Gambusia

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

Would like to breed for feeders - anyone doing it - any special requirements - they damm well breed like rabbits in lakes but what about in a tank???

#2 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

hello you cant post about this on here because Gambusia are illegal to keep... they are on the noxious fish list :/

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:20 AM

he can post on this if he wants to :) .... just the same as someone can post wanted to buy piranha... thats not illegal....

gambusia breed like guppies - basically are a guppy just a variety that lives in cold water as well as warm water and are much hardier than a standard guppy...

not sure on the legality of this but if you have a pond or dam full of gambusia on your property are you allowed to feed them to your fish?

gambusia are everywhere as water birds land on the water... preggass female gambusia gets caught in birds feathers... then flys to another water way for a swim and gambusia dislodges although female is dead young fry inside fish survive and if the timing is right they wriggle out of the female into a new waterway....same thing happens with glass shrimp - thats why you find them everywhere too... but alas they arent declared noxious yet unlike gambusia..... i dont think a fisheries officer is going to enforce a 10k on the spot fine for someone having a gambusia.... lol.... they are already introduced by the govt years ago and are everywhere i dont think fisheries is frightened you are going to release gambusia into a water way :) although technically illegal... 

#4 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

yeah ive fed them to my fish from someones pond ... but im pretty sure the pcs is against promoting breeding of a noxious species ...

#5 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Without making any observations re the legality, I do make the observation that most fishes will only eat gambusia once or twice, and thereafter simply ignore them. I assume that they just do not taste nice! so consider the fact that it simply is not worth the trouble of setting up any sort of breeding facility for these nasty little pests.

Syd.

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

There is nothing wrong with posting questions. Especially if someone doesn't know they are illegal.
This way they, and others, can learn about them.

From fisheries website:

Mosquitofish are classed as noxious in the state of Western Australia. It is illegal in WA to be in possession
of any noxious fish, keep, breed, hatch or culture it, consign or convey it, put it into a container or receptacle
in which it might remain alive, or release it into any waters. If you catch one, dispose of it humanely and never
use it for live bait or return it to any waterways or dams. If you need to control mosquitoes, consider using native fish.

As seen HERE

#7 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

well that is what i was trying to say lol

Edited by TheTexasCichlidMasacre, 29 June 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

Without making any observations re the legality, I do make the observation that most fishes will only eat gambusia once or twice, and thereafter simply ignore them. I assume that they just do not taste nice! so consider the fact that it simply is not worth the trouble of setting up any sort of breeding facility for these nasty little pests.

Syd.

have to disagree with you syd... 10 years ago when i kept tandannas they would continually eat as many gambusia as i could catch for them to eat... maybe your observations were made on gambusia caught in really poor water conditions making them taste like crap.... i used to them catch from the upper reaches of the swan river and lake leschenaultia and in jane brook... i reckon i depleted plenty of gambusia populations... nowadays you are no longer allowed to catch them for fish feeding and i bet their numbers are outa control now :)

do you reckon anybody will ever be granted a permit to collect these to feed to their own fish ???

#9 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Or perhaps my fishes had more discerning taste-buds :)  In all honesty, I only used gambusia as food for exotics, and the ones I used were raised in my own ponds: there is no way I would have fed wild-caught gambusia as food, so water should not have been an issue.

Apropos your question re permit to collect gambusia as fish food: it would be interesting to make such an application for a permit. I am not aware of any such request having ever been made before, so I guess that it will be up to some interested and enterprising person to lead the way. It will certainly not be me!

Syd.

#10 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

when you stop and think about it syd - gambusia are pretty much everywhere - i cant think of any waterways that dont have them... even all dams through the hills have them - only ones that dont have prob got redfin perch in them lol.... i used to walk the banks of the mundaring weir when i was a kid and i dont remember seeing any gambusia but i do remember catching redfin perch as big as 2-3kg and taking them home to eat :) 

if you were to process gambusia before feeding to your fish you never had any problems with flukes and other parasites... but if you didnt it was like russian roulette :)

#11 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

if you were to process gambusia before feeding to your fish you never had any problems with flukes and other parasites... but if you didnt it was like russian roulette :)

hey johnno, how do you process the gambusia? Deep fry, microwave, blend or mince?

#12 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

Chews them up then spits em in <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

hey johnno, how do you process the gambusia? Deep fry, microwave, blend or mince?

just lightly salted mate  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

just add salt to their water and dosing with a wormer...

never microwave anything {unless its a cat}- microwaves are nasty appliances that alter the genetic structure of whats being microwaved... try this boil 1 litre water in a kettle and another 1 litre of water in a microwave... cool them both and water 2 similar plants for a week, one with kettle boiled water and the other with microwaved water... 1 dies and 1 does not  :o  :o  :o  :(  :(  :(

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

^*giggles*^ Cat haters are even funnier than crazy cat people.

#15 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

http://www.snopes.co...wave/plants.asp

#16 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

never microwave anything {unless its a cat}- microwaves are nasty appliances that alter the genetic structure of whats being microwaved... try this boil 1 litre water in a kettle and another 1 litre of water in a microwave... cool them both and water 2 similar plants for a week, one with kettle boiled water and the other with microwaved water... 1 dies and 1 does not  :o  :o  :o  :(  :(  :(

Water doesn't have a genetic structure.....

* Spelling

Edited by Leigh, 03 July 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#17 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Where do raindrops come from then?

I thought rivers and oceans evaporate their eggs and sperm into the atmosphere, where condensate gestation within clouds occurs until environmental conditions precipitate the birth of the next generation of water.

#18 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Where do raindrops come from then?

I thought rivers and oceans evaporate their eggs and sperm into the atmosphere, where condensate gestation within clouds occurs until environmental conditions precipitate the birth of the next generation of water.

remind me to wear a condom on my head next time it rains 

#19 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Make sure you post pics

#20 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

Water doesn't have a genetic structure.....

* Spelling

ooops was typing in a hurry meant molecular structure..... well picked up good to see someone is on the ball :)

dont believe everything you read on snopes... try it for yourself mate... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users