Nitrifying Bacteria Products For An Established Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

I've read about products like Seachem Seed etc. and wanted to know if anyone on this forum has tried any kind of nitrifying bacteria product to break down gunk in an established aquarium? I'm doing the dreaded filter cleaning job on sunday, and would like to know if there are any products you recommend to assist with the breakdown of gunk i have in one of my aquariums.

thanks

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

(don fireproof suit)...

Mostly I’ve seen on threads not a great reputation attached to the bacteria in a bottle products. It appears there are some reputable brands out there that have sorted out what bacteria types are really needed (I’ve read there were some powders sold that weren’t much good), but then depends on storage from heat, etc.

I’ve mainly used API, seachem and a few odd brands (one of which I really wonder if triggered a bacterial infection in the fish).

https://www.apifishc...18#.Wy3YRBY_WEe

https://www.apifishc...53#.Wy8mDRY_WEe

The stress zyme I thought did make a difference as I have a semi-see through aqua one 1200 I think and noticed in the weeks after dosing stess zyme that there was a lot less gunk at bottom of filter. So I thought that seemed positive but never did any water tests to see if nitrates lifted.

Probably used it 4 or so times so not heaps of testing (mainly just dosed it in and hoped it did something, else oh well).

Would use it again but only from well-known supplier.

Would be curious how you go if you do try it.

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

no suit needed after all hey craig?

I'm gonnahead to Vebas after work and get some seachem pristine and give that a shot

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Lol, yeah some of the US threads get heated with snake oil vs it works. Be interested in how you get on.

Same deal I guess, we used to buy a bacterial product each xmass for the septic tank. No idea if it really helped or not. I had to dig it out (also one xmass when soil hard as rock) for busted pipe work and septic tank was very clean but maybe would of been like that naturally anyways.

#5 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

I would recommend seachem stability and pristine. Best products so far. Also dr tims One and only nitrifying bacteria.

#6 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Dr Tim’s I’ve seen good comments on.

#7 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

The trick is in the fact that people dont actually know which microbes are flourishing in their filtration :) Lotta guessing going on.

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

The trick is in the fact that people dont actually know which microbes are flourishing in their filtration

^ that's something I read on an overseas fish forum. Considering I didn't do well at school, and given that I'm a dumb arse, most things for me are a guessing game :Rofl_3f:

And I used the seachem pristine last night. Amazingly the tank looks about 50% better in just one day according to my better half. She phoned me while i was at work to tell me how much better the tank looks. Yay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users