PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

I bred silver sharks and silver dollars - no joke

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

Yes i know some people on here might think im being an idiot putting this up, just after all the bgk stuff.

But hearing other people stories brought this back into my mind.

It happened about 2 years ago in my 4 foot tank.

Silver dollars -
The Male and female would come right into the open and do their spawning thing. About 2000 eggs would get stirred all over the tank, but yes, tetras and angels got the better of them.
Im not going to be a little girl and not tell people how i did it. The tank had a tannin stain, from a piece of wood i had in it.
The ph would stay about 7.2 and my temp was about 25-27 degrees. This would happen in the morning, just after i open the blinds.
I found that these fish dont like breeding under aquarium lighting. I had 3 males (10cm), and 1 female (7cm). Their was only one pair, but the other two males were very desperate for the female, and constant battles were occuring during their spawning.
The males had an extended anal fin, and had a more intense red colour. I found the males to have a broarder body aswell.
I fed them mainly high protein pellets twice a day, which i got from pet city joondalup.
These fish are very skittish, and i found that trying not to cause any disturbances outside the tank will help breeding inside the tank.
Dark coloured substrate and lots of plastic plants also helped me.
I bought these guys at about 2cm and grew them up to adults (breeding size.)

Silver sharks -
The silver sharks were in the same tank as the silver dollars.
Silver sharks have a similar breeding routine to the silver dollars. Please note that i am unsure how to sex these fish, because at the time they were breeding, i wasnt interested in them, because my favourite fish, the silver dollars were breeding. The larger fish (im guessing the male) would chase the female until she gave up and surrendered to the high levels of the aquarium where the male would wrap his dark (very dark) black fins around here body. I kept these guys in the same tank as the silver dollars, and fed them the same foods and some conditions etc etc.

I hope this info helps some people interested in breeding these fish.

Please dont give this information to other people without my permission!

PS - i did not tell anyone i bred them because i have only been a member of the pcs for 1 year.
But you can ask my family if you dont believe me tongue.gif

#2 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

well done very good ! if that is true got any pic,s for me some thing with you face in it so i know it was you ?

ive tryed to breed the sharks when i was 11 and have not been very sucessful.

but as for being a little girl (i dont mind roll playing now and then lols) but if you realy want to know how to bred any thing people shouldnt be so slack and get on the net and do some research ! have a play with the water chemistry, trial and error isnt thats what its all about not being told then copy ?????

look at it from my point of veiw if you sell a rare as breeding pair for a decent amount of money would you tell every one ? and if you brought a rare as breeding pair would want the person you got them from to tell every one ?

Cheers shane

#3 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

(benckie)
look at it from my point of veiw if you sell a rare as breeding pair for a decent amount of money would you tell every one ? and if you brought a rare as breeding pair would want the person you got them from to tell every one ?

Cheers shane

Definately agree with this point.

#4 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

So you agree if you bred a rare breeding pair and sold them you wouldnt tell people how to do it ?

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

G'day

Believe it or not. This hobby is not about making money! MOST people in the aquarium hobby are usually more then happy to share new findings with others. It's how people gain knowledge as well as through practical means. If you don't want to share your info that's your choice. In my opinion your views seem a little childish - you don't want people to 'copy' you? A bit like a kid saying look what I know but ner ner I'm not telling. At the end of the day I'm positive that alot of your fish keeping strategies were developed over time by other aquarists, and the knowledge shared. It seems that you are quite fixated on making money out of this venture. You posted up that you have managed to spawn BGK's then the next day a thread goes up that they are FS, and that you want 1k for em. laugh.gif

I was one of the first if not the first person to spawn Senegal bichirs a couple years ago when they were still very new to the country and also very expensive $400+. I posted how it was done on all the major fish boards as well as being more then happy to talk to people about it. That's how the hobby grows and develops. Possibly through my info someone else could share the joy of breeding a different species of fish! Your view tends to be more like an old man sitting on his fortunes not giving away a cent!

At the end of the day it's your choice, but it is all wearing a bit thin. Fine if you spawned your fish good for you, but if you aren't going to share a bit of info then quit harping on about it!

The only positive I have managed to scrape from all this is the good laugh I got from the pic of you cupping your fry! :wink:

Cheers,
Alex

#6 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

(benckie)
So you agree if you bred a rare breeding pair and sold them you wouldnt tell people how to do it ?

Well, kinda.

When my dollars and sharks bred i was only 11, and never thought of asking hundreds of dollars for the breeding pairs. I just thought, wow i just bred this cool, rare species of fish.
Theyre getting a bit to big for my 4 foot tank right now so ill sell them for a few more dollars than i bought them for, and let someone else have fun breeding these guys.

I also agree with what Alex has said about telling others about your findings and letting them know the 'secret recipe' for breeding them.

But i also agree with Shane because he has just sold the pair, and the info, for $700! and it is understandable that he doesnt want to ruin the purchaser's investment.

If you get the picture :wink:

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

In investment terms. A pair of BGK's isn't going to be too much of a money spinner no more so then a semi-rare eartheater or something similar. BGK's aren't worth a great deal. Basically your paying $700 for the joy of breeding the fish. $700 for a pair of BGK cuckooooo!!!!!!! :roll:

#8 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

well im glad you got a laugh out of my pic ! and thanks for expresing your opinion it means alot to me ! and i wish i could tell people to save there eyes from reading and their time from playing with water chemistry people seem to think i dont want to tell, its that bloody simple its not funny ! and if you read my posts ive given every one every thing they need to do it just in a very suttle way i can. I have to add ive never made money from fish or any of my tanks except the bkg,s if any like the rest of you i pour in 1000,s and i get nothing back every thing i sell is a fair price and a lot cheaper then most of you. just remember im only keeping my mouth shut cause i sold them and i said i would, its not like i dont want to tell you guys. i feel like ive got a great secret thats so simple, bursting to get out cause you'll all go 'is that it' but on behalf of my friend who brought them im not saying any thing.

#9 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

its not about the money its about owning a pair of bgk breders ffs

#10 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Peckoltia usually has something to say - right or wrong. I just wish he wasnt so rude about people.

#11 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

sorry for hijacking your post pleco4me but i know you where having a digg and you have alright to just im in a funny situation

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

Nobody forces you too read my posts mate. If you are so sensitive that I offend you regularly. Why would you keep reading them? especially if I'm usually wrong.

#13 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Err....Back on post topic.

What does everyone think of me breeding these fish.

Not bad for an 11 year old ay biggrin.gif

#14 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

Benckie

its not about the money its about owning a pair of bgk breders

and from your other post

i sold them cause i need money

You achieved something really hard to do by breeding them which you received a lot of praise. Then you saw the opportunity to sell them for top dollar and even better you found someone willing to fork out for them. I'm sure both parties are happy with the outcome. smile.gif

The majority of stuff that's been said then hasn't really been necessary. Let's drop the post guys it reminds me of a bunch of school girls bitchin.

Oh and to Craig gratz on breeding your fish. I like reading most of your posts. Half the time I forget how old u actually are coz u write extremely well and come across as being quite mature.

Dazza

#15 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

(Peckoltia)
Nobody forces you too read my posts mate. If you are so sensitive that I offend you regularly. Why would you keep reading them? especially if I'm usually wrong.

You dont offend me. I was being objetive in that I do deem your responses to people as rude. Didnt say you were wrong - 'right or wrong' were my exact words.

Sorry to go off track there craig - its cool that you did that mate.

#16 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

biggrin.gif

#17 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

Such a mind boggling topic

Hey Craig, biggrin.gif

Well done on the fish news, I too bred the Silver Dollar, they did the same thing as your's except instead of Tetra's eating the 1000 or more eggs, angels had the better of them :?

#18 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Can I just say that it is turning me off reading your posts to see such silly immature tit for tat bitching going on. Keep it on the topic guys.

Congratulations to all that have bred their fish, can I just make the following points with no disrespect to anyone involved so I don’t want to get blasted.

Firstly breeding fish means in point the fish spawning and growing the fry to a reasonable size (by club standards 2 months) This is because a lot of fish will lay eggs, but the real challenge hatching the eggs and rearing the fry which can be extremely difficult.

Secondly with regards to the BGK. I don’t own these fish and I have no real interest in keeping them but I have to ask if you bred them by accident and realised that they had breed by find two different batch of fry when cleaning the tank, what "secrets" can you actually share. The general water conditions!
What about definite sexing, you know you have a pair. Did you see which laid the eggs or released the fry? From your post I can tell you have owned her for some time so it is not a case of having a gravid female before she goes into the tank.
What was the actual spawning behavior?
What was the specific spawning trigger?

Please do not take this as an attack on you at all. I am glad the fish bred for you and I am happy for you made some money out of it. These are just the questions that I would want to know.

I also agree with Alex with regards to the sharing of information. If I have information which will help other aquarists keep or breed their fish I am happy to share. That is the point behind clubs like ours and this website.

Keep up the breeding guys and I wish you the best with it.

Again just my opinion smile.gif

Tony

#19 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

good on you craig nice work.
i bred epulatte catsharks a few years back on a regular basis, im not the first or the last to do it but it pretty rare.
people i think we all have to realise that in nature they all breed and thus will do so in the right conditions(sometimes in the wrong conditions), money is an added bonus to breeding as you can recoupe some losses youve put in over the years in food, power etc.

#20 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

Great work craig i can understand the dollars breeding as kyol(mono bono) used to tell me how his used to always breed months before the huge comoshion aboat breeding rare fish lol
Its exelent about breeding the silver sharks im so jelous lol

In my apinion any fish can breed in the aquairium if they have not already maybe someones out there with scats or archers or evan monos breeding with out them knowing
Just remember maybe some fish dont look after there young and eat them lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users