Photo

brown peppermints ?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Boots n all

Boots n all
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:23 PM

Has anyone here heard of "Brown Peppermints"?

#2 knattank

knattank
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

I have 3 that have gone grey with age. Brown peppermints that I have seen have been xbreeds.

#3 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:34 PM

Not unless some thinks L110 are peppermints !!

Alan

#4 mrseby

mrseby
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:17 PM

Hay Boots got pics ?

or a little more info mate ?

Cheers :good

#5 Bilby Junior

Bilby Junior
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:18 AM

p198.ezboard.com/fvictori...=376.topic

#6 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:52 AM

sounds like hes talking about orange spotted bristlenose wich are brownish with white spots and some orange ones on their fins... and there also sometimes refered to as ancistrus leucosticta

#7 Boots n all

Boots n all
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

That's the whole problem, if people do not lable things correctly we end up with confussion and anything goes.

#8 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2004 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm, thought as much,

After looking at Bilby's link would have to be L110. Gee, after all the correspondence over the last year or so between those of us who have this fish and we finnally got to indentify them as L110 (not A leucasticta) some one goes and puts another "common name" into the trade. ></span>:

Alan

When life gives you lemons ask for a bottle of tequila & salt

#9 Boots n all

Boots n all
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

Sorry mrseby, no pics, as you can see by the link someone was trying to sell fish under a "new" name, Bilby jnr pointed it out(maybe in not the right way) and was told he had just made an "Uneducated statement", my concern would be who ever bought them under the name "Brown Peppermints" may continue the name when selling the off spring adding yet more confussion to our world.
We must all be careful how we lable fish as not every person buying on these forums have such a deep understanding of the efforts gone into keeping names and species true.

#10 oo Spooky oo

oo Spooky oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

ok Dave
i dont see what your problem is as the post has the scientific name as well as the common name so there is NO confusion... I personally have heard the term (brown peppermint) many times in the trade down here as its the only way to descirbe these fish to ppl who dont know what they are... now these fish were for sale and your son replied in a very unwelcome and unprofesional manner as if was not interested in buying them then he should have kept his sacrcastic coments to him self....if you have a problem with the person Dave i suggest you get in contact with him as his number is still there...last i will say is its not polite to s@#t in someone elses back yard, if you can dish it then take it also....

cheers
Daniel.....

soulfly_maximus(AT)hotmail.com
coburg Melbourne

....I once had a handle on life and then it broke....

#11 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:44 PM

i was under the impression there common name was orange spotted bristlenose not brown peppermints? and there scientific or whatever is L110?

#12 knattank

knattank
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:59 PM

Yep, me too Orange (or Red if you look at PlanetCatfish) spotted bristlenose.

Knat

#13 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

Sorry spook, You are wrong on both counts, the accepted "common name" in most states of Australia and oversees is "Orange spot" and the scientific name A leucasticta is also wrong, different fish altogether.

A number of us put a lot of effort and research into this fish and it is L110 - "Orange spot Bristle"....we don't need any new common names invented.

Alan

When life gives you lemons ask for a bottle of tequila & salt

#14 mrseby

mrseby
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:09 AM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Thanks boots and alan .....

Thats all we need more F%$""G names just so $$ go up

why not call them flowerhorn catfish

Its hard enough keeping the real ID let alone every tom dick and harry making up new ones

Cheers

#15 oo Spooky oo

oo Spooky oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:45 AM

I never made up any new names for these guys and to date no one can prove what there real sci name is... who said anything about $$ i personally dont give a @#%$ and dont appreciate being acused of something i have not done... i work in the fish industry down here as do a few other friends of mine and there have been alot of different names used so im not ripping bull out of my ass... this subject is dead to me and as far as im concerned its just a hobby some ppl just need to bite their tounge and get a life!

cheers
Daniel.....

soulfly_maximus(AT)hotmail.com
coburg Melbourne

....I once had a handle on life and then it broke....

#16 Geoffagus

Geoffagus
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:39 AM

firstly the fish in question is not L110. According to the new and updated aqualog all L-numbers, L110 is a red spot bristle nose. If that is what i was selling then that is what it would have would have advertised it as.
I nor spooky made up any names nor tried to drive up prices and anyone that said we did doesn't know either on of us and should apologize . the names that were used in the original post are commonly used within the industry. Maybe i work in a different fish industry to everyone else.
I have both fish and they look nothing alike.
I'm not saying that this is the fish and it defiantly is not because as i said before i don't know that they have a classified L-# but you can have a look at L-237.
secondly according to the book L-110 grows to 12cm one of the fish in question is at least 16cm ?
I will not reply to any more posts on this subject because unless you see someones fish in the flesh you shouldn't be commenting on what you think it may or may-not be.
assumptions are the mother of all f#$%-ups.

Cheers
Geoff...

#17 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:43 AM

Hey fellas settle.

Anyone have any pic's of these guys?
Might help clear things up.

Tammy

#18 Slartibartfasts

Slartibartfasts
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:41 AM

Hope everyones had a cuppa and a lay down :)
Tis a hobby
Everyone look into their tank feel the calmness seep into you
:bd
Now for some serious flaming hehe *cough* I mean clarifaction

Spooky you were selling A.leuco as orange spots not long ago weren't you? are these the same as the ones just recently sold by this other person as A.leucostitca or is there a different ending to the species name you were selling i.e a.leucostatico (I seriously lack imagination hehe)
I am not trying to get you steamed with that question either I'll leave that to the expert tag teamers :lol

I like my fish better when I say "isn't that a pretty bluey/purply coloured one OHHhhh look at the green one" then.....isn't that S.leuco nah mate that's a surnimensis from the rio grand hehe soooo much less stress
:rollin

I apologise to all for my political incorrectness and any grammitical/speeling errors

#19 NewChemistry

NewChemistry
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:13 PM

Geoff,
Red spotted bristlenose and Orange spotted bristlenose are both Ancistrus sp. (L110). Overseas they get called red-spotted, here they get called orange-spotted. The Aqualog is printed overseas (Germany I believe), so they used the red version of the common name.
Spooky,
when you say "down here" you mean Vic/Melb? Right? Thats funny...Geoff's post on VCS was the first time many people who also work in the "fish industry" (I suppose this means the aquarium trade/industry) had heard the name "brown peppermints". Aquarium industries has never used this name, and I reckon Australia's biggest wholesale importer/exporter would be in the loop as far as names are concerned.
And to add to this thread...
We don't need more common names, Its bad enough seeing them get called A. leucosticta all the time.

#20 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:09 PM

Regardless of the fish in question, we certainly don't need any 'new common names' this only adds to the confusion.

Who knows where exactly the name 'brown peppermint' originated but does appear to have come from Melbourne, I cant say I have seen it used anywhere else.

Tammy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users