Photo

Feeding Your L Numbers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

I thought Id start this up to see what some others out there are feeding their different L numbers.
Heres what Ive experienced with what Ive got and tried in order of the fishes preferance:

L397s (2-10cm)- Mainly a wood eater but my adults get a Hikari Algea wafer or 2 between 6 adults every night and seem to love them, Zuchinni, Sera flora and occasionally Sera Viformo and pumpkin. My 397 fry eat mainly zuchinni, sera flora and occasionally pumpkin and broken up Hikari wafers.

L333 and L134s (3-6cm)-Viformo, frozen brine shrimp, zuchinni, frozen bloodworms, Sera flora and Hikaria wafers.

L201s (3cm)- So far Ive only managed to get these guys to eat Viformo and zuchinni.

A mixed diet is best for these fish so anyone else with ideas? Id be keen to here them.

#2 aquacouple

aquacouple
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

I agree, I try to feed mine lots of variety. My 397's get hakeri wafers and zucchini and pumpkin. My 66's and 333's and 168's get that plus hakeri carnivore pallets. My 201's also get bloodworm. I will have to try brine shrimp!

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

i have always used baby brine to grow up hypancistrus fry... and panaques and peckoltias on pumpkin and brocoli stalk....

#4 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Tetra veggie wafers w/spirulina, NLS all sizes, brine shrimp, tetra colour bits, lots of zucchini

#5 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ May 5 2012, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have always used baby brine to grow up hypancistrus fry... and panaques and peckoltias on pumpkin and brocoli stalk....

I remember trying the broccoli stalk quite a while ago for the 397s and they didnt seem to like it much, Ill have to try it again.
With the baby brine shrimp has anyone tried the "Instant baby brine" from Ocean nutrition. I had a look at it on youtube and it looks the goods.
Age of Aquariums sell it, I might grab some in my next order.
Also when using frozen baby brine, are you supposed to thaw and rinse before use ( like with bloodworms ) or do you just add the frozen block and let it thaw in the tank?

#6 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

I scoops out a glass of water and throw it in the glass to Thaw it out and then just pour it in
I've even started getting the brine shrimp that have been fed on spirulina , everything seems to love the hell out of it

Edited by Hypanheaven, 06 May 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

My 201s were suckers for shrimp pellets, they loved munching on them after they turn to mush.

#8 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Hypanheaven @ May 6 2012, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I scoops out a glass of water and throw it in the glass to Thaw it out and then just pour it in
I've even started getting the brine shrimp that have been fed on spirulina , everything seems to love the hell out of it

Sweet thats what Ive been doing, just wondered if it was recommended to rinse off first.

QUOTE (ice @ May 7 2012, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 201s were suckers for shrimp pellets, they loved munching on them after they turn to mush.

Cool I might give some shrimp pellets a try, Which ones are do you recommend?

#9 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

I read on another forum that some Ls like panaques like eating red pepper but Im not keen on trying that one. I take it that red pepper is what some nationalities call red capsicum or is it a red chilli?

#10 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

red capsicum ime, though this world is a strange place.

#11 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

pumpkin is awesome, i think i left a piece in there for like two weeks and it didnt rot, just got gradually smaller

#12 Just Boots n all

Just Boots n all
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Every fish has it likes and dislikes, you just need to find it
For our fry of Zeb, Pepp and L201's they are all fed a mix of newly hatched brine shrimp(we hatch our own) and tetrabits, the brine shrimp live for about 6 hours once dropped into the fry tank which means the fry are getting a high value food(protein) that wont foul the tank (bare bottom tank).

Adults of these are fed frozen blood worm, tetrabits and a bit of flake food once a week, the day after flake food they get one day no food, they wouldnt get food all day everyday in the wild, they also get a fed of live black worm, excluding the pepps, this lives in the tank for months or until they eat it all, so l only put it in once every 3 months.

l cant get zeb or L201 to eat veg at all, l remember when l commercially produced BN's 20+ years ago, pumpkin was a big hit, with adult and fry and gave a great colour to the fry, making it easy to sell them, presentation is everything

The pumpkin was boiled first and sinks well, unlike Zucchini that floats, so if you use Zucchini you will need to weight it down

Edited by Just Boots n all, 15 May 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#13 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Just Boots n all @ May 15 2012, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every fish has it likes and dislikes, you just need to find it
For our fry of Zeb, Pepp and L201's they are all fed a mix of newly hatched brine shrimp(we hatch our own) and tetrabits, the brine shrimp live for about 6 hours once dropped into the fry tank which means the fry are getting a high value food(protein) that wont foul the tank (bare bottom tank).

Adults of these are fed frozen blood worm, tetrabits and a bit of flake food once a week, the day after flake food they get one day no food, they wouldnt get food all day everyday in the wild, they also get a fed of live black worm, excluding the pepps, this lives in the tank for months or until they eat it all, so l only put it in once every 3 months.

l cant get zeb or L201 to eat veg at all, l remember when l commercially produced BN's 20+ years ago, pumpkin was a big hit, with adult and fry and gave a great colour to the fry, making it easy to sell them, presentation is everything

The pumpkin was boiled first and sinks well, unlike Zucchini that floats, so if you use Zucchini you will need to weight it down

Cheers for the info boots, my 201s seem to be enjoying zucchini skin at the moment.
There's a couple of things for me to try next-
Live baby brine and tetrabits. Cheers.

#14 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Who/which brand make tetrabits, Ive googled it and there is a few different sorts.
Are tetra colour bits the same thing?

#15 Just Boots n all

Just Boots n all
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

My error, yes, l have used them so long l have left out the word "Colour"

#16 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

I read on another forum that some Ls like Brussels sprouts. Anyone tried them?

#17 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I hardly ever feed cucumber but did last night, only because I had no zuchinni.
It seems my fish do not like it anywhere near as much as the zuch.
397s like it although they usually eat the skin first on zuch, on the cucumber the skin has been left untouched.

#18 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

cucumber bears very little in the way of nutrition for your fish... prob main reason why we all prefer zucchinni... smile.gif

#19 Semurphy

Semurphy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

In my tank I have standard and albino bristle nose, l333 plecos, l270 pleco, l397 pleco, gold spot and sail fin plecos. They get fed the shrimp pellets that sink to the bottom, zucchini, pumpkin and the whatever food manages to sink past the cichlids

#20 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Zucchini is good biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users