Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Stubborn Catfish More Likely To Die From Tapwater Changes ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

Hi all ,

The odd unexplained catfish death over the years . Wondering if adding tap water with dechlorinater as I do with a lot of my fish no problems . Just wondering doing that when there's catfish in  tank which are often reluctant to move they might cop the stream of water (yes I should go back to using a spray fitting ) that is poorly mixed and so high in chlorine .Just thought there could be something to watch out for a bit more with catfish .

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

I fill tank from tap directly and I usually over-dose seachem safe. I’ve been told the reaction with tap water is pretty much instant although can see the point of aged water as it settles in ph, etc.

One I’ve found useful is I run two heaters and tank comes back on straight after water change. Seems to have less issues.

Could be something if happens more in winter or spring maybe. Be interesting if a seasonal pattern to catfish loss?

#3 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:11 PM

So i chuck the hose in the tank start filling and add the safe dechlorinater .However the stream of tap water may be hitting a cave or bit of wood with a catfish which frequently don't move prior to significant mixing  with  the safe bearing aquarium  water so ensues several minutes of a high chlorine dose .Suppose I'm advocating the use of spray fittings as preferable .Particularly with catfish that stay put when they should move .Yeh the safe works instantly when mixing allows the interaction .

Edited by boops, 22 November 2019 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users