• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hi all,

Bit of a problem with angelfish. I think two were bickering as I noticed a bit of bacterial mouth fungus on both (I assume). Tank is cycled, 4ft community tank.

One had mouth look a bit ragged with white, more wispy growth on lower jaw. Treated with pimafix and went away last week. Cleaned tank last weekend and was worried it was coming back so re-treated with pima/mela and one dose of triple sulpha in tank. Looking more normal and back to bickering so fingers crossed.

As a side note the first pimafix dose promptly killed off a female rosy barb. After that all good. Female fish and pimafix in my tank just do not get along for some reason.

Second one also got the initial pima treatment. This one has more like a blister looking lesion on either side of jaw. Will see about a photo. Last weekend I shifted to a QT (cycled 6 gal tank) and treating with triple sulpha / tetracycline and one table-spoon per 5 gallon of salt. (I've tested this tank twice for ammonia and nitrite - surprisingly no spike).

No real improvement in this fish so kind of out of treatment ideas if anyone has any? As far as I know furan 2 can only be sourced from US (and takes ages). On the weekend I was thinking of trying a day with multi-cure (acriflavine/MG/MB) in a bucket. (Or maybe higher salt or potassium permanganate).

Or I could try the sulpha / tetracycline for another week. Angelfish seems fine in small QT although not eating much. Thoughts appreciated.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

probably better off with keeping the water tip top and no more treatments

sorry to read that your fish isnt well

post a photo and water test results when you can

#3 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com....tm/281319281266

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Photo's up (not the best) - the red around the mouth is normal on this one. Touch of white on lower lip.

74564-albums13177-picture70320.jpg

The other one in QT. Still alert - I've noticed it tends to suck pellets in more rather than gulping. Like a "blister" on either side of lower lip.

74564-albums13177-picture70321.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70322.jpg

Edited by Delapool, 17 June 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

I was thinking I might as well record this.

Carried out large water change. Infection unchanged or possibly a little reduced. Fish tried a food pellet and spat out.

Mixed up one litre of PP and dosed to 2ppm according to the guide. Repeated dose 4 hours later at 10ppm. Water went cloudy but not very pinkish. First dose had pretty much cleared up by then.

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

probably better off with keeping the water tip top and no more treatments
sorry to read that your fish isnt well
post a photo and water test results when you can

theres a lot of merit in this statement that Jason made.

If there was bad mould growing on someone's house ceiling causing the family respiratory sickness, then the doctor diagnosed it correctly and treated the family back to perfect health,,,,, what would happen to that family if they went back into the infected house to live again ????,, that's right you guessed it, they get sick all over again....

So how come is it, people see a issue with their fish and just treat it without looking at issues that caused it,,, or even worse treat it back to health and not address the initial cause, and have it happen repetitively.
Sometimes ignoring treatments and fixing the cause straight away will see the fish heal through its own natural immune system.

If skin is broken and open injuries always turn into worse wounds by themselves,, then are build ups off toxins causing or nourishing diseases (which are always present in every healthy tank but waiting for its own correct conditions to multiply).

If your fish fight and open injury wounds occur and the fish heals well, then there's no problem.
Most issues are seen in very mature aquariums where the bad bacterias and pathogens mutate and evolve but lie dormant in a healthy aquarium, but when things go pear shape,, they come out to play and multiply.

My mum goes to the doctor for a 48 hour bug and goes to doctor and gets medication and treated and comes good in two days.
I get same 48 hour bug and don't go to doctor, she says I should and I'm silly,, then I come good in two days and even half a day sooner I was better......
Moral is, don't under estimate the natural immune system,,,,,, Especially if your water quality is decent. So check your water quality and everything else when there's a issue, and try to get a understanding,, before you treat your fish.
So once fish is treated, it stays healthy and issues don't re-occur.

Besides,,, there are occasionally some odd combinations of Angels that just never get along, and a bit of swapping around is needed till peace is observed.

#7 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

theres a lot of merit in this statement that Jason made.

If there was bad mould growing on someone's house ceiling causing the family respiratory sickness, then the doctor diagnosed it correctly and treated the family back to perfect health,,,,, what would happen to that family if they went back into the infected house to live again ????,, that's right you guessed it, they get sick all over again....

So how come is it, people see a issue with their fish and just treat it without looking at issues that caused it,,, or even worse treat it back to health and not address the initial cause, and have it happen repetitively.
Sometimes ignoring treatments and fixing the cause straight away will see the fish heal through its own natural immune system.

If skin is broken and open injuries always turn into worse wounds by themselves,, then are build ups off toxins causing or nourishing diseases (which are always present in every healthy tank but waiting for its own correct conditions to multiply).

If your fish fight and open injury wounds occur and the fish heals well, then there's no problem.
Most issues are seen in very mature aquariums where the bad bacterias and pathogens mutate and evolve but lie dormant in a healthy aquarium, but when things go pear shape,, they come out to play and multiply.

My mum goes to the doctor for a 48 hour bug and goes to doctor and gets medication and treated and comes good in two days.
I get same 48 hour bug and don't go to doctor, she says I should and I'm silly,, then I come good in two days and even half a day sooner I was better......
Moral is, don't under estimate the natural immune system,,,,,, Especially if your water quality is decent. So check your water quality and everything else when there's a issue, and try to get a understanding,, before you treat your fish.
So once fish is treated, it stays healthy and issues don't re-occur.

Besides,,, there are occasionally some odd combinations of Angels that just never get along, and a bit of swapping around is needed till peace is observed.

Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

Test results are:

Main tank - ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10ppm and ph around 7.1. All fairly normal except nitrate is normally higher for the plants.

QT - ammonia and nitrite still 0 but will see on the PP effect. So I'll check again and post.

QT - Dosed PP to 2ppm the third time. Was considering 4ppm but water went pinkish this time so I left it at 2ppm. Dropped in a triple sulpha tablet and that's it for the weekend. Furan 2 on order. Angelfish was more alert for food - spat out pellet still though and had a small amount of brine shrimp. Lesions / ulcer has gone white / cloudy in a few spots. So we will see now.

Other fish in main tank looks ok. Still think there is a little more healing to do but fingers crossed.

#9 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

Ok, well may as well post to the bitter end.

Angelfish in main tank is doing well and doing the usual angelfish stuff. Looks promising and lip is looking pretty clean. That's good as I like that one.

The other one in QT is definitely more frisky. Had two pellets. Managed to keep them down but looked a battle which did make me wonder how far the infection had spread. So while it was bouncing around looking better I was far from convinced. Planning on water tests / water change Wednesday.

#10 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

Update -

The one in QT is better than before. Will eat brine shrimp but not (expensive) pellets. One side of mouth has improved by 50%, might be a bit of scar tissue there as well.

The QT is doing very well. Still no ammonia reading or maybe just a hint coming in. Will leave him in there for another week. Water change tonight and just watch and see.

#11 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Angels all good now?

#12 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

Seem to be. Thanks for the query. I'm not entirely convinced but it turned out this one just hates the pellets. Cheaper algae wafer bits it will eat just fine. I'm going to put it back in the main tank today and see how it goes. Sure would be easier in a planted tank just to have some plastic, remote - controlled fish swimming around.

Edited by Delapool, 02 July 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#13 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

Just in case of interest this was the link I was using to mix the PP. I have found snails seem more sensitive to it.

http://www.bidka.org/library/pp.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users