Red Dot On Eel, Thoughts?

Spiny Eel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

Thoughts on this red mark on Spiny Eel? Will it go away with time ? unsure of how it happen

Attached Files

• Attached File  010.JPG   129.88KB   7 downloads

#2 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

Yes it should do,,, just make sure, the crap or waiste in filter or substrate is kept at a low and weekly water changes to keep down nitrates,,,, because the crap and nitrates promotes bad bacterias that get into the wound and cause infections and disease.
However, it looks like you have some type of pinkish light over, and that may make the red wound look worse than it is,,,, if it won't heal, you may need to look at lightly dosing water with salt after you research and google how to use salt (cheap pool salt), for treatment.

#3 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

Did it just show up like that or is it getting worse? Also I can't see any tight spots with sharp ornaments to cause a scrape? Also can we assume you have checked the tank water chemistry? As dull as it can be, that would be the first check ime.

Edited by Delapool, 12 July 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

When I observed the wound,, it looks to me as if it's juuust begun to start healing ?

#5 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

just noticed it, dunno when it happened hardly see the eel, may have got scraped on a ornament not sure, will keep an eye on it

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

Well with spiny nose,, they like to burrow and stay under for long time,, but with these, it's always best to have a medium fine and light,,, yours is medium coarse but closer to coarse, and some of those gravel bits can be a bit rough as it forces it's way down under.

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

Looks healthy enough, all its fins are in good shape, so don't worry to much, just keep a eye on

#8 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

Did you know roughly was size they grow to?

#9 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

I've seen them almost 30cm,, I think that's the consensus,, but different predicaments will see them finish at different sizes.
Not fast growers, but on meaty diets they grow a fair speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users