Stocking Tips

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hi

I have recently developed a love for Front's and eventually want to breed them.

I'm new to cichlid keeping but have recently kept and breed guppies, as I wanted to learn the basics before I put such beautiful fish at risk of any harm.

My Question is :

I have a 170 litre tank at the moment that just has some Neon Tetras, Fancy Guppies and a Bristle nose Catfish.

I was thinking of starting off with some cichlids that are peaceful but also relatively easy to breed. I eventually want to have a 2000 litre Tank with a breeding colony of Front's in it but that's a few years off

Please keep any criticism away IE "your tank isn't big enough" etc.  as I am just a person who wants to learn and I am willing to learn but have to start somewhere and I'm sure there are some cichlids that are suitable for this size tank in smaller numbers.

I was thinking maybe 1M - 3F Rams? Will these Breed?

I have loaded a picture of my tank for any adviseAttached File  My Tank.JPG   109.74KB   3 downloads

#2 sashimi

sashimi
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi frontosaman,

Frontosa are a beautiful fish, I have a colony of moba. It's best to start with 10 around 4 to 6cm and watch them grow then you can start sorting them out ones it become an adult. They are more fun to watch when they are small but once they become an adult they slow down and freeze like a picture frame lol. Yes you do need a big tank in the future minimum 6x2x2 and a good filtration. For your current tank the Frontosa should be good there for at least 6 months then it's time to upgrade.

Regards,
Al

#3 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Welcome Fronty!

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Welcome,

If you want to breed a nice easy Tang that stays small try brichardi... You will probably have to give the fry away though... They are not a high demand fish but they are very cool as a colony in a species only tank. I had a small colony in a 160L corner tank earlier in the year.

You could also easily breed a bunch of malawi's in a tank that size.

Good beginner Malawi's to breed are Acei and Electric Yellows. There are a ton of others but for a small tank first time out i would consider one of the three species I have listed.

Paul

Edited by malawiman85, 18 December 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#5 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Rams Will Be Fine In A 170L Only Thing Is They Like Softer Water And Ph Low

#6 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the informative comments people, out of the rams/acei/electric yellows, what are the hardiest and most tolerable of change in temp etc I try to maintain my tank at 27 but during the summer it can get a bit hard and I don't have a chiller

#7 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Fish can handle pretty high temps (31 - 34 degrees). But apparently what happens is it is harder for the fish to breathe and also it is harder to oxygenate the water. so just make sure you have a bubbler turned on.

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yep do what you can to keep the temp down... There is a very good thread about temps in technical and Equipment: http://www.perthcich...showtopic=56233

Keep water clean, don't be a stooge on water changes during summer and aerate the water as well as you can.

The acei and ey's will handle the temps well enough as long as they can get oxygen.

#9 myster619

myster619
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Rams would be a good start, particularly bolivian rams as they look just as good in my opinion but are hardier. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users