Chasing Wavemaker Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

I want to increase flow in an aquarium, so I'm chasing recommendations on a wavemaker (or 2) that will give good flow in a 6x2x2 which is quiet when working, but without the Vortek or Tunze price tag. Is this possible?

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

I have a Jebao RW 20 in my 8x3. I think it was about $110? from memory. 

I had a play around with the settings when I first got it, but now opt just to run it pretty much as a powerhead. I guess the added benefit rather than using a powerhead is there's very little to clean and it is super easy to adjust the direction of flow in any direction. 

On the Jebao - I am pretty happy with it. Can't tell you if it is noisy or not because I can't hear it over the ambient noise in the fish room (tumbling k1 is noisy). But so far has been working flawlessly for a couple of months and pushes a serious amount of water. Playing around with it, it feels reasonably well made and not cheap and flimsy. Comes with an external controller too, to adjust settings. I have it running full throttle 24/7 on my 8x3 and it is just right, would probably be a bit much more a 6x2, could either get it and dial down or get the smaller model. 

All in all for the price tag, I can't find a fault with the product yet.

#3 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

One of our sponsors (Addicted2Fish) sells Rossmonts Wave Makers, a bit expensive, but great pumps!! 3 year warranty, attach to the glass with a Magnet, and move A LOT of water! And, plus, they're Italian made, so great quality :P

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Thanks gents. I'll check out the jebao and Rossmont wavemakers

#5 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Hi mate

I'd check out the Sicce Xstreams, also Italian made but with 5 year warranty, magnet mount and 8000lph for under $139 for PCS members. (Smaller sizes available as well) Nice and compact and only 13w power consumption.

Cheers

Pacco

#6 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

The Rossmont is quality made and very solid and quiet. Moves large volumes for the size. I have one in my tank I won from the PCS raffle and it's better than all my eBay ones that are Vortex knock offs ;-)

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

I have a pair of the Sicce ones that Pacco sells at vebas. They have been running flat out 24/7 on my 6x2.5x2.5 now for at least 4 years and have been faultless. The first time I have ever cleaned them was a two weeks ago when I moved the tank to another wall in my house. Nice and quiet too.

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

I have a sicce voyager somewhere in my fish stuff. Will check out the xstreams one
Thanks

#9 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

Man the Rossmonts are awesome when teamed with a controller.  They rossmonts throw a nice turbulent stream out of them rather than a laminar stream (not reading the box, from experience).  Between my tanks I've a couple 15200's hooked to a waver and 2x9800's and 2x5800's.

In our big tank the biggest 15200's are aimed at lower margins of the tank for detritus and general current and it doesnt strip the substrate in the same way power heads do in our other tanks.  The laminar flow and mixing up the intensity with the waver keep the tank clean crystal clear.  Our experience is alternating the currents is the most important factor to keep detritus from accumulating and the water clear, when we had the large pumps flat out the tank still carried a lot of detritus in the water body and got cloudy on feeding and didn't clear quickly.  The large tank uses the inflow from the sump pump to agitate the surface for O2.

In our smaller tanks we have a little rossmonts aimed at the surface for agitation and higher powered ones for circulation, with out the controller to vary the flow i don't believe they are any better than a cheap power heads however we are going to add wavers when $$ can afford it as the variety of tank flow seems to be more important to stopping dead spots.  Id stick some over powered wave makers on a controller and a cheap power head for surface agitation. 

My home tropheus tank now has 3 rossmonts circulating the tank and a power head with the air pipe into it (sprays bubbles) on a timer to run during the day when I'm at work.

Disclaimer (fan of the rossmonts)

Edited by chrishaigh82, 19 May 2017 - 10:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users