Info on breeding bristlenose

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scroogy1

scroogy1
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2002 - 10:12 PM

Hi all

I would like to give breeding bristlenose as something different. I was wondering if anyone had any info like temp water conditions what featuress to have in the tank and any other tips or tricks

Thanks in advance Jason

#2 Bninja79

Bninja79
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:51 PM

dude there is nothing easier.
i assume you know how to sex BNcats, so start with a pair. in the past mine have bred in my malawi cichlid tank and i just found some eggs in my tanganyikan tank last night. the malawi tank had a ph of about 7.6 and the tang tank is over 8. my temp is around 27. i don't do anything special apart from provide a lot of caves and crevices. the female lays the eggs on the ceiling of the chosen cave and the male protects the eggs. i knew something was up when my glass started getting algae on it and when i investigated i found BN eggs!
i honestly don't know what triggers breeding though so maybe someone else can fill in the blanks
HTH

#3 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2002 - 07:07 AM

g'day scroogy. I dont mean to be a pain but could you tell me how big these fella's get. I'm looking for something that will replace my clowns. Are these good, eg dont grow huge and school.
As for breeding (be gentle I'm A noob) every time (3) I've done a water change my red jewels change colour and nest etc. This is with cold water. No other fish do it but for some reason my jewels really light up and become very interesting. Im yet to see any fry and probably wont being in a community tank but I thought it was a coincidence that 3 cold water changes and three colour changes of the jewels was even obvious to me. My temp is 27 on the dot and ph is between 7.5 and 8.By the way its probably the only fish in my tank that seem to love water changes....seem to like cold water..briefly.... and my fingers if their quick enough :) I'm sure they'd eat me whole if they were over 5'9" :)

#4 shaperau

shaperau
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2002 - 07:15 AM

apparently bristlenose love a good water change too. i have a friend who breeds them, and every single time he does a water change, they will breed.
I havent had as much luck, but what do you do :)

#5 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2002 - 07:20 AM

If I were a fish I'd be chasing her around with cold water :)

#6 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 07 September 2002 - 05:15 PM

Hey guys

Like most on here have already said, bristlenose will often breed with no help at all. The most important thing being having a mature pair of both sexes:P Other things that have helped in the past are good water flow and oxygenation, heavy feeding, and the presence of a suitable breeding cave (they;ll pretty much breed in anything, but for ease of catching of the young ones, i use a ceramic shell around 8-10cm long from Gone Bazaar in the city)...

So thats about it, get them in clean water, with a nice powerhead getting the current going, feed em up with lots of zuchinni and algae wafers, and when they are around 6cm they will start thinking about breeding..

#7 scroogy1

scroogy1
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2002 - 10:33 PM

Hi all

I was also wondering what other fish can be in the tank with them and can they be breed without a heater.

heers Jason

#8 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2002 - 01:46 AM

I once had a pair breed at 18°C but that is unusual - they will spawn generally anywhere in the low to high 20's ie. 22° C to 28°C So basically they would breed in summer without a heater - as to community, pretty well anything will eat other fish eggs if they can get at them.

#9 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2002 - 03:09 AM

If u keep the tank indoor and ur hosue is kept at a constant temp by a heater, u do not need a heater, as the water is kept warm by the air temp.
If not use a heater.

Just use lots of driftwood and thats it mayeb a few plants.

I dotn know about putting otehr fish in with them.

#10 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2002 - 03:46 AM

perhaps I should relocate my firemouth, she likes hiding in the male bristlies cave, lol

Chris- those bristlies I got off you a few months ago are doing well. :)
Much like last time I kept bristlenose, I think I'm definately getting more interested in caty's again.

Excuse me do you sell Jazz CD's
This is a pet store

#11 OgTimGr

OgTimGr
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:44 PM

So what's the secret to breeding peppemint bristlenose . . .???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users