Photo

Spawning Corys

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:04 PM

Hi, got home from work yesterday to find eggs all over the glass everywhere. The C.trilineatus, C. sterbai(albino)and C.aenus(emerald green) had all laid as well as the whiptail cats and a couple of pairs of angels.And the best thing was I got more than 5 albino sterbai eggs, she actually laid about 20 this time (bonus!!).
When I left for work this morning the C. metae were spawning but due to overcrowding my big show angel was happily devouring the eggs as soon as they were deposited.
Also got a phone call last night from a mate who's red whiptails eggs had just started to hatch.
Anyone elses corys spawn this week? Its not full moon till Saturday they had a water change last Saturday and I haven't fed them any live food since I got back from holidays. Haven't had any real pressure changes in the weather either so I don't Know what triggered them. Maybe their just Happy!
:cheers
Keith

#2 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:13 PM

Hey Keith!

Congratulations! You wouldnt mind posting a more detailed account of the various setups you have these guys in would ya? Might stimulate some conversation and would be good to see how different people do things!

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#3 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:23 PM

Hi, not much to my cory breeding set up just a bank of 6 tanks 15x18x15 with sand substrate all running on a trickle filter. a couple of tanks have an anubia in the centre but thats it. It's run by a resun king 4F pump so they have a fair current flow. One interesting thing is that when my C.zygatus spawn she tries to swim up the inlet pipe to deposit the eggs right in the strongest part of the flow. Consequently the eggs get blasted all over the tank. I'd post some photos only I don't know how, any ideas?
keith.

#4 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:22 AM

Hey Kieth, been a pretty cool summer so far so might have a bit to do with the activity of late. Tammy tells me her sterbai spawned this week as well.

Re the zygatus, how about an air stone-up-a-pipe trick ? she might fall for that one.

Could get those similis to you this week end with a bit of luck

Alan

#5 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:16 PM

Hi Keith,

Yep had a few spawns over the past 1-2 weeks, sterbai earlier this week (I actually went egg collecting this time :lol haven't saved any for a while, those little buggers love spreading them all over the place:rolleyes ) and had 2 royal whip spawns a couple of days apart although the spawn from the young royals was infertile. :(

Tammy

#6 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:00 PM

Hi folks, All my cories have hatched and are busily swimming around unfortunately the male whiptail ate his eggs again ></span>: Must be lacking something in his diet or something, but the eggs were certainly good. Any ideas anyone on why whiptails eat their eggs?
Will have to just try again.
Keith

#7 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:10 AM

Keith what sort of whiptail are they (common whips?) and where were the eggs laid etc?

Tammy

#8 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2003 - 02:57 PM

Hi Tammy, The're just common whiptails. They laid in a length of 25mm pvc pipe.They get fed zuccini, frozen bloodworms, flake,tablets and a few live worms. I've had a couple of batches from two different pairs and the eggs have been eaten every time. The eggs are green and after a few days you can see the embryos developing but after about 5 days the males always eat the eggs.
Keith.

#9 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:03 PM

I'd be taking the eggs away after a couple of days and you are sure they are fertile.
Just hang the tube at an angle on a bit of fishing line and a slow air tricle up the tube
Was a trick I learned from Brian Drinkwater, the old fox, and he bred heaps of whips for the Sydney market

Alan

#10 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2003 - 08:59 PM

Hi Keith,

Yep like Alan said, taking the eggs out would probable be the best option.
Although I've not really had a prob with the male eating the eggs but have known females to worm their way into the pipe (with the male still in there) and slowly start devouring the eggs.
In this case just move the male and pvc pipe out into a hatching tank, but that doesn't help ya if the males are eating the eggs. :(

Tammy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users