Photo

New Tank

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Havent done too much to the tank lately... the tannin is still there but its turned to a light tea color, so its slowly going. I put my barra in yhere this week. He is happy as, loving the space.. might move the jardini this week and hopefully get stuck into the doors.

#102 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

Awesome mate. They are both hardy fish. I wouldn't worry about waiting to long before adding the Jar

#103 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Moved the big boy in today as well as barry, they both are happy and enjoying the space.. also decided to knock up a vacuum, used a old paint roller extender, some hose and a coke bottle.. gave it a whirl today and works good.

Doors and panels are on hold until next weekend unfortunately..

Attached Files

#104 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Nice one mate. That wood is impressive. Did you collect it or purchase it?

I whipped up a vac the other day. 25mm Pvc with a 22mm hose. I have bare bottom so really good. It would suck the gravel straight out, so not much use if you have substrate though.

#105 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

i collected the wood from a vacant lot.. had it in the sun for 3+ years

#106 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

What other fish will be going in?

#107 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

i haven't decided yet, i wouldn't mind a nice salmontail...I'm still more interested in finishing off the tank before stocking the tank..

#108 Litheon

Litheon
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Any updates? :)

#109 Zabick

Zabick
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

no sorry no updates as yet, still waiting on doing the doors and panels.. some other stuff has come up in the meantime. But the tank is still looking good and running fine, tho i need to add maybe 2 more lights aas it is a little dark.. hopefully in the next fortnight i can get stuck into the doors and add the extra lights in..

#110 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Any progress on this tank? Love to see updates

#111 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Small warning in using hardened ( toughened) glass. I used to use this regularly for larger tanks, but will no longer use it. The reason is catastrophic failure issues. I had a large panel of 12mm toughened explode on me just carrying it from the rack, this is the second panel that has exploded without warning. When i spoke to the glass delivery guy he indicated that this has become quite common & bits 'blow up' in the factory quite often. I did a lot of reasearch on it & it would appear that the cause is impurities in the glass ( main culprit nickel sulphude from memory).
What happens is that when the glass is heated to toughen, the impurities heat to a different temperature, this causes a weak or brittle spot that can simply explode under its own weight with such large panels at any time up to a few years after manufacture.
This never used to be much of an issue with aussie glass, but almost all the glass used these days is imported & not manufactured with as stringent controls, so impurities are far more common.
As mentioned at the start i used a lot of toughened ( mainly bases) in the past & i am sad this is no longer possible as it restricts the tank sizes i now make.
I would suggest you consider using a 15 mm float panel instead
I am a dill, just noticed commenting on older post. Will leave this up tho' as it may be worth considering for future projects..

#112 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Not to mention that with toughened glass it only takes a small knock with something hard on the EDGE and it WILL explode. I've seen it happen quite a few times now and also seen panels explode for no obvious reason as mentioned above.

#113 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

I would love to see an update on this build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users