Counsel/strata Approval

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BigSkip

BigSkip
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

Hey all.

So i was chasing the engineering data for my apartment complex to find the load rating on the floating floors (2nd storey, built in the 60s) to see how large of an aquarium i can safely have without it landing ontop of the neighbours. I own the flat myself so i dont need a land lords approval.

The strata company is telling me i have to apply to them before buying it and they will seek counsel approval. I can see a justification for a built in unit. but as a stand alone cabinet and tank doesnt require attaching to, or modification of, the building structure counsel approval was not nessecary.

What is everyone thoughts on this?

Also i beleive the standard rating for a floating concrete floor is 500kg per square meter, if someone can correct me on that it would be great.

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

Weight allowed per m2 is pretty variable on suspended slabs.
Thickness and span are just 2 of the considerations.
Waffle slabs were common in the 60s and 70s and are a pain in the butt for loading.
If in the vicinity of beams or capitals there will be a higher tolerance than on regular spans... you really need to get your hands on the drawings/AsCons (AsCons only occasionally available on older structures).

Edited by malawiman85, 22 July 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

You don't need approval to have a fish tank but if you overload the floor and cause damage to common property or other's property then you are liable for damages. you can retrieve your house plans from the councils records department - they usually charge a fee to provide you with your own copy but it should be less than $100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users