Photo

Cleaning Silicon Of Glass

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Simon A

Simon A
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

I've been repairing a large tank (almost done, just some of the bracing needs to be glued). I've repaired heaps of small tanks before and have always removed the silicon of the glass by scraping it with a razor blade, this takes a lot of time and is just a pain.

I started using this same method on the glass of the larger tank and gave up a few hours in. With the scraping method it would have taken days to get all the silicon off, so i called a glassier mate in South Africa for some advise:

Option 1
Scrape off as much of the bulk silicon as possible with the razor blade, apply a layer of Selleys Silicon remover (http://www.selleys.c...er/default.aspx, available from Bunnings), only apply this on areas of silicon that you need to remove and that is well clear of other silicon joints, leave the silicon remover on for about 24 hours and then scrape of with a razor, repeat if needed.

Option 2 (Safer)
Scrape off as much of the bulk silicon as possible with the razor blade, dampen a cloth in mineral turpentine, and wipe the silicon that needs to be removed, directly scrape off another layer of silicon and wipe with the soaked cloth, repeat until all silicon is removed. The mineral turpentine is safe to use near other silicon joints, it only effects a thin layer of silicon and if some of it gets onto joints that you want to keep just wash it off with soapy water directly, the joint should not be effected.

Because I was only replacing the front panel, I used a combination of the two options, option one was used on the braces and the long edges well away from other joints and option 2 was used to clean up the edges close to other joints and to clean up silicon finger prints and a mess I made when i was gluing in one of the braces.

Please note that both the above products are poisonous both to you and your fish, take the necessaries precautions when you use these chemicals, your tank should be cleaned with warm soapy water and rinsed, rinsed and rinsed again until you are sure that all the traces of the silicon remover, mineral turpentine and soap is gone.

Also be sure to clean the surface to be glued with soapy water, acetone and then isopropyl alcohol and ensure that all the traces of the mineral turpentine is gone, turpentine is oily and will prevent silicon from sticking to it.

This is a guide only and I take no responsibly for any damage of loss experienced from using this advise. This has worked perfectly for me and reduced the time required for silicon cleaning, I have only used this on one tank only and this tank is yet to be filled with water, I will be filling it this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Edited by Simon A, 07 December 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#2 Tricoti

Tricoti
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info. wink.gif

#3 Junglefish

Junglefish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

Or if possible when the silicone is still wet, for a nice clean finish spray with soapy water then run your finger over it and the silicone wont spread smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users