3.0m X 750h X 650d Glass Tank

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hi guys,

After lots of shopping around comparing prices i have found it will be a saving of around $600+ to build my own tank. i plan on building a 3.0 x 750h x 650d tank using 15mm glass.

I have done lots of research on tank building and found this site to be the most informative http://www.austingla.../aquariums.html but one thing concerns me. And that is the formula used for bracing. Could i have your tips and suggestions please?

The website says to have horizontal bracing on the front and back of the tank - "longitudinal bracing" and that this bracing should run the length of the tank and be as wide as 5% of the tanks length. That means a 150mm wide longitudinal brace. But it states that the cross bracing that is glued front to back on top of the longitudinal bracing should be twice the width of the longitudinal brace, meaning a 300mm wide cross brace. This seems excessive but i guess it dependent on how many braces are used, following the websites guide, the above is what is asked for.

What size bracing do you think i should use and how many cross braces do you think i need?

Thanks allot.

#2 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (kassysimon @ Aug 7 2011, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After lots of shopping around comparing prices i have found it will be a saving of around $600+ to build my own tank. i plan on building a 3.0 x 750h x 650d tank using 15mm glass.

Can I ask how much the glass will cost you? normally this tank would be built with 12mm (if properly built), and the difference in cost of glass alone between 12mm and 15mm is 3 times... not to mention the labour factor considering the weight

If you intend on making your own, best to go around and check the tanks that are being made by LFS and compare the differences in technique and get some ideas how some make the structure stronger and more reliable without going over board....

Some LFS to compare that actually make their own range of tanks are :

Morley
Vebas
AAA
Malaga
Aquotix...
might be more out there but I dont get out much now-a-days....

by comparing these tanks, you will get first hand knowledge of the different ideas used.... these tanks are made by the shops that sell them directly to the public, so they have a vested interest in making them safe for the public. so are generally not under-built to cut costs.

While you are there, ask to see what brand and type of silicone they use - there are handymans silicones, contractors silicones and then there are construction grade silicones..... your guess which ones will last the distance in time....

hope this info helps a bit....

#3 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

Just a thought on building you own tank, realistically if you factor in everything the tank will be the cheapest thing you will have in your build. Why would you bother to save 600 bux on the one thing you would never want to break. For the piece of mind i would have mine made by the people who have been making tanks for years and go off their knowledge and experience, rather than have 1400L of water spill in your house.

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

I'd leave it to the experts just insist on bracing all round (bottom, sides, top rim and wide bracing across the top. cheers steve

#5 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

^^^+1 too risky at that size , let the pro's do it

#6 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

... The dude claiming he builds tanks doesn't even have any of his finish aquariums up on the site... And his diagrams are a little dodge ..

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

Dodge pictures but if you read through the whole page the info is really spot on smile.gif

#8 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Aug 8 2011, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I ask how much the glass will cost you? normally this tank would be built with 12mm (if properly built), and the difference in cost of glass alone between 12mm and 15mm is 3 times... not to mention the labour factor considering the weight

Hi there.

15mm glass for this project is $1250.00.

To have the tank built is $2000.00 plus delivery.

The reason i want to build it is so it can be built at home to avoid transporting it after construction since it will be so heavy.

#9 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

its a one off and 800 bux isn't bad to have someone provide warranty.

Edited by Neakit, 08 August 2011 - 10:06 AM.

#10 Junglefish

Junglefish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

Im pretty sure some lfs do build onsite. I know morley have done it before

#11 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

If your worried about transport check out the tankzilla journal smile.gif

#12 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (kassysimon @ Aug 8 2011, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there.

15mm glass for this project is $1250.00.

To have the tank built is $2000.00 plus delivery.

The reason i want to build it is so it can be built at home to avoid transporting it after construction since it will be so heavy.

Can I get a PM regarding who is supplying this glass so cheap? 15mm is not a common size in general, so it gets slogged with a heavier bill per square meter...
another thing to consider is - is it edged (honed) or still sharp as it comes when cut? and the cost of silicone.... and trying to make a tank in-situ - I refuse to do it again after doing it once with 19mm glass... not easy, especially without lifting equipment and a competent friend at the other end who knows what to do.....

My Quote would be $1800 in 12mm (with a 10 year guarantee!) and for delivery, all you need is a flat top trailer and 4-6 strong friends... or you can borrow some of our lifting equipment to make it a bit easier..... I have to get around to putting up a whole pile of pics of a heavy tank we made and delivered without having to lift the finished product... if you stick you head into it, anything can be accomplished.

Might still be worth while having a chat with me face to face or anyone else experienced in tank building directly - first hand knowledge is worth its weight in gold - and trust me - we dont like making big tanks... they are heavy, time consuming and command a lot of responsibility. Feel free to drop off any diagrams / floor plans or details, and Ill look at them after I come back from holidays and I might come up with a few good ideas that might help in design or installation.... and a tank that size would benefit from semi auto water changes - so I can advise on what to do before the tank goes in to make your life easier (eg, water, drainage, power etc).

#13 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

im so sorry for the confusion guys.

It was to be built from 12mm glass like you where all saying.

So i agree with you all.....buying a tank is well worth the extra investment.

Thanks all.

And if you were still intrested....i spoke with the author from the webpage and he said the he will be rewriting the formula for longitudinal bracing and cross bracing.

Thanks guys.

#14 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

a good decision IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users