Cichlid Deformities- Pics Wanted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

I've volunteered to write a short post about various deformities in cichlids and I'm seeking a few pictures for the article/ post if you have any pictures you think will be handy for my post, PM me. All pictures can be kept anonymous if you like or credit given.

Cheers

• ice likes this

#2 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

The angel in the banner at the top of this page has a deformed dorsal fin, too many spines in it. The photo was taken by Ronny about 10 years ago.

Cheers Terry

#3 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

The angel in the banner at the top of this page has a deformed dorsal fin, too many spines in it. The photo was taken by Ronny about 10 years ago.

Cheers Terry

Don't know where you access your info on diagnostic imperatives for angels Terry, but I have to disagree with your statement that "there are too many spines in the dorsal fin". It is possible that some are more elongated than usual, but this is by no means "deformed". I have searched several hundred photos of angels; both wild-caught and aquarium strains, and there are many that look very similar to the banner photo. Schultz, in his original description indicates a dorsal ray count of 23-29 for P scalare. If anything, the count in the banner photo would appear reduced, but that is just guessing, which I feel is what you are doing.

Syd.

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Those Tropheus on FB you posted were absolutely terrible. Amazing what people will do to animals/fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users