14 replies to this topic

#1 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

Attached File  DSC00162.JPG   534.73KB   51 downloads
pics of my dead fronty yesterday sad.gif
Greetings to all..
Need some help here guys...i have a 4 ft tank with tanganyikans had been running for about 3 months..
the problem is i had 2 fronties dead due to low PH last month but everything went stable after i use the buffer to buffer up the ph to 8 now..but found one dead frontie again after i came home from work yesterday with mouth open (which i dont understand why because the previous two died the same way as well)...today came home with one sick leleupi sinking in the bottom of the tank with unhealthy looking scale..i tested the water again..and this is the result guys
water parameter is
PH: 8 (using tang buffer)
Ammo: 0
Nitrite:0
nitrate:20
feeding once everyday with sera flora or sera granured protein food but mainly is sera flora
tang inhabitants are:
lampologus multifasciatus x 5
meleagris x 2
fronties x 2
common bn x 2
leleupi x 3
black calvus x 2
julidochromis x 2
kribs x 2

i do 20% water change weekly and everytime i changed the water i do water testing the next day and nothing seems to be unusual...all the fishes do not show any symptoms of unusual as well hence quite shocked and sad when i found them dead..any suggestion or idea here why this is happening??? sad.gif
cheers!

#2 ford2

ford2
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

did you pre mix the buffer before you put it into the tank i do the mixing the night before, also i have found when using the buffer you need to bring up the ph gradually over a couple of days and get the fish use to the rise not all at once as it could shock them.

#3 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

so u mean it might be the reason they die???so i should premix the amouunt of buffer with a bit of water and let it dissolve the night before i use it?my PH previously is as low as about 7 or 7.5 can't remember but its somewhere around there and today its around 8.will the buffer be poisonous to them? at first i thought they died of ammonia pike..because they look like one..but guess its not the real reason as the ammo is 0...=(

#4 ford2

ford2
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

i was told by a breeder mate of mine to always pre mix the buffer because of the heat reaction and if the fish ingest it it can be harmful to your fish. he also said bring the ph up about 2 points per day or you could shock the fish as they are not use to the higher ph

#5 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (ford2 @ Jun 30 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was told by a breeder mate of mine to always pre mix the buffer because of the heat reaction and if the fish ingest it it can be harmful to your fish. he also said bring the ph up about 2 points per day or you could shock the fish as they are not use to the higher ph

but the previous fronties died the same way the one died yesterday before i started using the PH buffer though...*head scratching*
but i will start to premix the buffer overnight next time before i add in next time...

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

Was this fish in with the original fish that died? Perhaps the damage was done then and something minor triggered this fish to die today? Gill damage comes to mind.

Daz

#7 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

My thinking also. Nitrite could do some gill damage and the poor thing might have hung on a little longer than the other two.

If you grab a couple of water storage drums you can premixed and heat your water before it hits your fish and causes osmotic shock.

#8 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

osmotic shock..perhaps that might also trigger the death aye?
ya they were in the same tank..do they have any signs from their 'corpse' if they die of gill infection?they look like fresh fish that just died..probably because when i found them they died not long ago..because i looked at them for hours everynight..hence if any fish is missing i'll go look for them around the tank even if i have to take out some rocks that might be covering their dead bodies...my last frontie that died yesterday was normal like no symptom at all the day before..but the surprising thing is only my fronties died..i googled up some cause of death that results in 'mouth opened' and turn out might be lack of oxigen and the biggest fish will be the first victim...but i have canister filter and also air pump..so dont think it caused by lack oxigen aye?
so now wat can i do at the moment?do i need to change water again? or just leave it?or anything i can add into the water to stabilized them?

#9 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

do you know what temperature the water is?

#10 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (tranced @ Jun 30 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you know what temperature the water is?

hi tranced,
my temperature is 25 celcius...too hot?

#11 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

nope, thaty shouldnt cause a problem. but, what sort of thermometer do you have? if the waters too hot it will start to lose oxygen... it might be worth double checking it...

#12 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (tranced @ Jul 1 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nope, thaty shouldnt cause a problem. but, what sort of thermometer do you have? if the waters too hot it will start to lose oxygen... it might be worth double checking it...

i see...hmmm..this thread made me realised and learnt new things!thank you guys so much..
i have the mercury sort of thermometer that submerge in the water..

#13 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

i would just double check to make sure its accurate... i have seens one of those floating aquarium thermometers "stuck" on a certain temperature, so i personally would double check just to make sure. also when fish drop off for no apparent reason one by one, i treat the tank with praziquantel as a precaution. just make sure you follow the directions on the label properly...

#14 bubumelon

bubumelon
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

can i know what is the praziquantel for?
cheers

#15 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Some good reading material here- http://www.perthcich...hl=praziquantel

Daz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users