New Meber Oddballs

Oddball unusual Natives

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hey, New member to group, looking for some new oddballs whats everyones weirdest,wackiest fish they are keeping or have kept? cheers 

#2 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum! :) I'd recommend  Butis Butis. Swims at all types of angles and in any direction (backwards, forwards, sidewards etc etc). Mine tries to attack everything new to the tank, even if its bigger then him. Really cool to watch hunting down small fish too - Only get to about 15cm. Mine hunts upside down on a 45 degree angle, swimming back and forth  :)

Edited by Leichardti, 18 June 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#3 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

Will have to look into getting one for my native tank, will it get on fine with salmon tail? What else do you keep?

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

Salmontails get gigantic! Wouldnt leave it with a 15cm fish as they grow.
Sleepy cod are similar to butis but grow to 30 - 40cm.

Butis butis are weird and cool though.
Bullrout are odd... but you're already onto those.
Short finned eels are available through The Fish Room in Mandurah.
Marron are fun for something different.
Eeltails are great, particularly the hard to find Neosilurus ater.
Barred grunters are available (talk to Leichardti) and are super rare in Perth. Well worth picking them up if you're into Aussie preds and oddballs. I would but I dont have a tank for them.

#5 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:48 PM

Woudnt mind a short finned eel, they grow to a decent size too, been looking for a Neosilurus ater but havent seen any for sale in a while

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

Yeah dont hold your breath waiting for N. ater. Shayne got a hold of N. hyrtlii which are another nice cattie. Not sure if they arw tempromentally more similar to N. aters or the devil spawn tandanus.
I would love a really small eel to grow out... Not sure how small they come on account of their juvie marine phase.

#7 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

Barred grunters are available (talk to Leichardti) and are super rare in Perth. 

Sorry, not available any more. Decided to keep them. However, Bullrout, Barred Grunter, Butis Butis AND Neosilurus Hyrtlii are still in stock on the Aquarium Industries stock lists. Theres some Milkfish on there too which I've never seen in Perth, though I don't think they are as impressive as the rest. They grow fairly large too. A good lfs should be able to order any of those in (I'd suggest Pet Magic). The N. Hyrtlii are supposed to be a nice calm fish like MOST N. Aters. Only grow to a small size too, around 20cm.

Edited by Leichardti, 19 June 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#8 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

Any idea whats a  Neosilurus Hyrtlii worth? Anyone have one or kept one?

#9 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

First time ive seen them available to be honest.
Hopefully Shayne will chime in. He called me the other day to let me know they were available. He mentioned a price but cant remember. I think it was about $40.

#10 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:05 PM

Would it get along with a tandanus tandanus? its roughly 8cm

#11 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

$45 at 8cm :) My mate got one from City Barn a while ago and there were apparently 3.. Someone else got a big one there too, about 30cm. City Barn seems to get Neos a fair bit, but it's still not all that common for them to have them. I'd get rid of the Tandanus and get 3 N. Hyrtlii if you can. Tandanus would eventually attack / kill the N. Hyrtlii once bigger. Only saying 3 as I'm 99% sure they're supposed to do better in groups. Neos are much less common too and it's always exciting to have a less common fish  :P

Edited by Leichardti, 19 June 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#12 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

Which city barn?

#13 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:16 PM

City Barn Malaga. I think you might be confusing them with Pet Barn as theres only one in Perth?

Edited by Leichardti, 19 June 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

Lei is right. Get rid of the Tandanus and get a Neosilurus. The two are chalk 'n' cheese. Wish I could find a 3 - 4cm one.

#15 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

Picked up 4 N. Hyrtlii from Bibra PM today, couple left on the list apparently.45$ As Leichardti said don't trust tandanus with others.Lost 2 tandanus this week to a big 1 turning nasty, more than a year of peace and harmony and then 2 14/ 15cm fat healthy fish stripped of their entire dorsal rays down to and including the tail. Research had told me aggression could be a problem but i thought i had bucked the odds, sadly for the fish they lost :( and a favourite patio tank will never be the same.If tandanus were cheaper i would probably be foolish enough to try it again but grade them to the same size, the 2 suspects are considerably bigger. Never seen a problem with my 2 N.Ater which are quite different sizes [ another tank] they only annoy their tank mates with their synchronised swimming efforts, not with each other like my salmon tails but with who ever takes their fancy. Hopeing the Hyrtlii live up to their rep as schooling fish.

Lei is right. Get rid of the Tandanus and get a Neosilurus. The two are chalk 'n' cheese. Wish I could find a 3 - 4cm one.

Or buy another tank :) They are both cool fish but different temperants.

#16 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Will call into PM tomorrow and check them out, hopefully there are a few left haha

Edited by Pattison, 19 June 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#17 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I don't think Pet Magic have any, I think Shayne means that there are a couple left on Aquarium Industries that they can order in. 

#18 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

My bad read it wrong haha

#19 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

$_20.JPG$_20.JPGCan someone id this ? tandanus?

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Side on is easier to identify these guys.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oddball, unusual, Natives

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users