'black' Pbass

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

G'day 

This guy started off as my dominant male bass, he has been over thrown by two much larger bass now. He went a very sooty dirty colour, while the other tow boys stayed the classic clean yellow with ink blotches. This fish has looked absolutely rubbish for the last 6 months. Over the last two weeks his gill plate has gone completely black when excited, and I think now looks quite good. Phone pic is rubbish but the pattern is now very complex.

One of the rare occasions when a cichlid being suppressed over a long period of time has actually made the fish look good (different).

18754859-F800-4006-BA2B-16A6E095E8DE_zps 

Half way through the process of setting up two 6x2x2.5's. May chuck him in one and see what happens to his colour, whether this new black colour intensifies or he returns to a normal look. 

#2 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

He looks awesome! Good luck with him :)

#3 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

Very nice Alex...

And to thing you where going to move these on. Definitely up there your bass.

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Cheers guys. 

Jules I have a love hate relationship with these fish. 

#5 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Wow that is interesting. Do you think it is genetic or down to environmental factors that caused the differing colour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

There's a little bit of genetics involved.

But to be honest i feel this fish has been suppressed by being subdominant and once they 'put down' the black pigment it can't be turned off and now that it has its day again (it is now semi dominant, rather than the bottom of the pack) the rest of the golds and yellows are coming through around the black markings it is a cool fish (a real strange set of circumstances). It is just a strange circumstance that has made him look good. 

PS - the biggest bass of 10 fish is now a confirmed girl as she has laid eggs! When growing up a group of 10 fish who would have predicted the biggest fish to be a girl? I'm learning new things ever day. This fish was always the largest and behaved like a boy (angry bruiser) but didn't develop a nuchal hump, her appearance was female, her behaviour was male and her growth rate was male and ended up being a girl. First time I've seen it.

Just goes to show, you've never seen or know it all!

It is like getting 10 dovii (which I have done) and a year later the biggest fish turning out to be a girl! its crazy. The girls who has laid eggs is almost 50cm

Cichlids are incredible. from a 2cm multi to a 2' bruiser Cichla!

Edited by Peckoltia, 14 December 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

The thing is I am now at a point, I've spent some dough to pay for two new 6x2x2.5's and the associated filters (brand new) which hasn't been cheap to separate my cichla to breed them. I have 3 Male bass that are your stereotypical male bass, yellow with very nice yellow colour base, with distinct ink blotching. I now have one male who looks very different (the one pictured) do i now breed the conforming male bass with the girls or pull out this different looking male to breed?

I can compare it to the fronts with messed up bars! He doesn't look how he should, but he looks different and i like it. The cichlid game is whack! 

#8 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Oh man such a great story. Thanks so much for sharing with me. You make some great points. I don't want to surmise as to the right and wrong ways to proceed so as not to stir any potential problems within group guidelines and such. But my curious nature I'm sure would force me to have to try to set out two breeding tanks, one with all true to type and one with the male showing different markings. Though most probably, being that you think it is a circumstance of environment, I would be doubtful if he'd produce anything other than true to type. But you'd never know for sure until you bred him... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hood, 15 December 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#9 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

Looks bloody great!

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

Cheers for the comments guys.

This is what his brothers look like. 

EA439E41-196E-4A3F-B232-41A5581E6565_zps

C1EF4795-60C5-4A08-9E53-5F4A39EB727A_zps

#11 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

Spectacular bro. Man I miss my p.bass. I hope my festae turn out to be half as interesting as those guys. Keep up the show and tell man. Loving it. :)

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

Thanks mate. Festae are nice fish, should turn out nice.

Quick video of the Bass that recently spawned. Cleaning the spawn site, rays got into the eggs on the first night (as to be expected).

http://vidmg.photobu...zpsbnup10qo.mp4

#13 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

Oh man those spawning colours. Soo good. Keen to see you get some fry from these. :)

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

In all honesty I won't bother start trying to raise any fry until about mid way through next year. 

#15 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

All good. Just keen to see you start getting some. Seeing anyone get such great fish breeding is fantastic to see. For me breeding is the best part of fish keeping, it's like your reward for all the hard work and making sure your pets are as happy as possible. :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hood, 16 December 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#16 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

I now have one male who looks very different (the one pictured) do i now breed the conforming male bass with the girls or pull out this different looking male to breed?

I can compare it to the fronts with messed up bars! He doesn't look how he should, but he looks different and i like it. The cichlid game is whack! 

I came to this topic via a link you posted on List of Hybrids, and a very interesting conundrum you raise. My personal opinion is that the adoption of the sub dominant colouration for an extended period of time is by circumstance/environment (the confines of a tank situation), and will eventually return when the circumstance/environment changes. i.e. no other more dominant fish. I think that this scenario would be unlikely to occur in the 'wild' as a sub dominant male would move on elsewhere to avoid further prolonged persecution. As to the breeding of this male I would think that any offspring would be normal - because the change in the maie is environmental not genetic? This could be a debate all on its own.. I would like to know how quickly or not he changes back to his normal colours (if at all) Look forward to seeing the outcome and the colouration of any fry produced?

The difference between your fish and the fronts is that yours started normal and not a deformity.

#17 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:43 AM

I love the look of him. Adds something a touch different to that already amazing school of bass.

#18 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

I came to this topic via a link you posted on List of Hybrids, and a very interesting conundrum you raise. My personal opinion is that the adoption of the sub dominant colouration for an extended period of time is by circumstance/environment (the confines of a tank situation), and will eventually return when the circumstance/environment changes. i.e. no other more dominant fish. I think that this scenario would be unlikely to occur in the 'wild' as a sub dominant male would move on elsewhere to avoid further prolonged persecution. As to the breeding of this male I would think that any offspring would be normal - because the change in the maie is environmental not genetic? This could be a debate all on its own.. I would like to know how quickly or not he changes back to his normal colours (if at all) Look forward to seeing the outcome and the colouration of any fry produced?

The difference between your fish and the fronts is that yours started normal and not a deformity.

Interesting take, and I would tend to agree. With most Cichlids once the suppressing factor is removed (a more dominant fish), the subdominant fish will likely return to normal colouration. I don't believe this to be the case in this situation though. The fish in question has now climbed the pecking order considerably, and the black colour has remained (if anything intensified). There is also a female in the tank that is showing the same markings just to a lesser extent, this fish is always left alone and lives a fairly peaceful existence. I am far less inclined to believe this fishes colour to be a result of stress. 

I think there is something in the genetics in this line of bass that has this increased black pigment in some individuals. 

I don't think that a change in colouration from what is considered 'the norm' can be classified as a deformity either. That is a conversation for another time. 

Either was once i get these 6 footers running, ill chuck the black boy in with a couple girls and see if he changes.

I love the look of him. Adds something a touch different to that already amazing school of bass.

Thanks mate. I tend to agree. 

#19 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

Just a couple more pics. 

Interesting group shot. Fish now range from 30-45cm. If I average them out at 35 I have 3.5meters worth of peacock bass in my tank.

C800A972-5EE2-4AF2-88FC-5E3A4F55202E_zps

Hump day

CD84B65D-FCF8-4D36-9ED0-4AAAD59706F9_zps

Female top, male bottom. Notice the size of the girl, not bad for being the same age as the boy.

361D1FC2-33E6-467F-85AC-6FBE05D86D95_zps

#20 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

they look tough and pretty at the same time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users