Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

tongue.gif

#22 johnnie7au

johnnie7au
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

I don't change the water.. in my goldie system.

http://www.backyarda....php?pic_id=278

http://www.backyarda....php?pic_id=277

I also have cichlids in three tubs at home .. again no water changes...

http://www.backyarda....php?pic_id=279

I have had similar systems for cichlids using wheelie bins as fish tanks at home and at school.

At school I have (With the help and kindness of members of PCS) managed to set up a few cichlid, yabbie and goldie tanks in several classrooms. I do have regular weekly water changes and filter cleaning in this situation. (No plant to use nitrogen rich compounds). Also visits in holidays to maintain good health and water condition.

I am hoping to set up an aquarium room and aquaculture - aquaponics room at school, but it is taking forever! :cry: :cry:

They have given me the building ... but no money for heaters, pumps and air pumps. In the meantime .. I will continue applying pressure ...

I will continue to try to maintain a small varied stock at home for school use... and take them in as lodgers over the christmas holidays.

I had a student and his mom visit recently to take some various excess fry from me. I think he has got the fishkeeping bug after seeing some of the fish set up at school! He was very receptive regards listening about perameters and maintenance involved. I told him about PCS.

One young convert to an amazing hobby and nice forum methinks! 8)

#23 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

I do a 50%-75% water change plus gravel vac a week on my 5ft tank and will do the same once I get my 6ft setup.

My fish are all healthy and growing rapidly....

From what I have read it's ok to do a 100% WC as long as you keep the same temp and PH and make sure the water is dechlorinated before adding the water. This would require an extra tank or something else that holds water.

#24 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

How do you keep the same temp when doing a 75% change?

Regards Cobby

#25 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Hey benckie

I always thought it was tirty tree and a turd Recuring laugh.gif

Regards Cobby

#26 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

(cobby)

Regards Cobby

I hook up a hose onto the bathroom sinks tap and just adjust the water till it feels about the same as my tanks water and slowly fill it up I also put in the full tanks volume worth of prime just before filling it up. The PH from the tap water is about the same as my tank.

#27 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hey KrAmEr Good tip Mate laugh.gif

Regards Cobby

#28 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

Hi All,

This was discussed earlier in the year . The question I asked was regarding a 72x24x18 community planted tank.

There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration, eg, stocking levels, size if tank, type of fish, size of fish, etc etc.

I have been told that with Tang's & Malawi's , never more than 30%, Tropheus species, never more than 25%, these figures are for weekly water changes.
With breeding tanks it's a different kettle of fish altogether, depending on the particular species.

http://www.perthcich...h...opic&t=9791

HTH's someone

Col

#29 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

(cobby)

Regards Cobby

Even with 60% water changes, our tank gets filled up straight from the hose outside, so its cold water flooding into the tanks and the water heats up via the heater probably after a couple of hours I would estimate for that volume of water.

Our fish actually search out the cold stream of water when the tank is being refilled and happily swim through it back and forth.

#30 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

(cobby)
Hey KrAmEr Good tip Mate laugh.gif

Regards Cobby

No problem :wink:

#31 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

I took the temp from the cold tap today it was 18deg c

Iam going to use KrAmErs method

Regaeds Cobby smile.gif

#32 Wacker

Wacker
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

what fish are you keeping Cobby?

I have had plenty of success in getting fish to breed by changing water with cold water..

I've read articles talking about simulating rains etc... not sure if that's why they like it, but they definitely do!

I wouldn't be worried about a short term temp fluctuation.. especially not for malawis

Wacker

#33 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

Looking at keeping malawis

The temp thing is a good point did not know this still learning tank not ready yet see post in photo forums smile.gif

Regards Cobby

#34 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

just about every fish ive kept spawn after a water change or changes in the water, same as humans i quess

#35 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

(benckie)
just about every fish ive kept spawn after a water change or changes in the water, same as humans i quess

Yes Im rather prone to it after an orange cordial

#36 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

lols pete

I ment a water change to cichlids would be like in the wild when there is a storm or rain witch the change in the weather makes them spawn cause the rain will bring new life and more food like the wet season in the amizon or in the northern teritory.

as for us humans if theres storms or lots of rain and we cant get out and about we get bord lols.

And if there is a few pregnant mums around and the bromerter falls they seem to go into labour (well thats what the mid wife tell me).

I watched a doco on a place in iceland where they only get a couple of hours a day of light durning summer and every one was pushing prams and had a little colony walking behind them lols

#37 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

I think most wild creatures breed when they think times are good laugh.gif

That does not include MADASA (AKA MADAM BUTTERFLY) although he is in the WILD ANAMIAL CLASS I think he gets what he can when he can laugh.gif in the breading department i mean :wink:

But from what i have heard its a very LONG cold winter for him :wink:

Regards Cobby

#38 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

i measure 100mm from top of tank and take that much out and twice a month and altho the tank in question is no longer mine it is a 6x2x30 and has twin aqua one 2400 cannister filters i have never had any problems with my water changes and my fish always look happy and i have 50 of them in that tank and whether wrong or right i dont consider my tank over crowded and will have my bigger one in 4wks im with you fish gal different people tell you different things but i have found that the bigger tanks seem not to need it as often as the smaller ones and i have also been told that my new tank which will be 1400ltrs that all i need to do is change the water in the sump but thats another story and i will ask for peoples help on that one as well just as i do before i do anything im not sure of
hth
cheers
paul biggrin.gif

#39 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

(cobby)
I think most wild creatures breed when they think times are good laugh.gif

That does not include MADASA (AKA MADAM BUTTERFLY) although he is in the WILD ANAMIAL CLASS I think he gets what he can when he can laugh.gif in the breading department i mean :wink:

But from what i have heard its a very LONG cold winter for him :wink:

Regards Cobby

Too much info :roll: and definitely off topic. :? tongue.gif

#40 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

Hi FishGal

I do not think it was of topic

yes the remark about MADAM BUTTERFLY was but that is just a bit of freindly banter laugh.gif

what benckie said makes sence when cond change the fish do their thing!

Regards Cobby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users