Photo

4ft undergravel filter

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi everyone i recently bought a 4x2x2 and was wondering how these undergravel filters work. I will use a limesand substrate and i wont to know how the undergravel part works if my sand will get disturbed. Also with the filter part i have a Aquaone cannister filter 1200L/h and was curious how this undergravel filter can connect up or however it works.VERY VERY VERY CONFUSING lol ive never used one so i was just curious any help would be great thanks for readin.

Cheers Ben

#2 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

you wont need it if you have an aquaone 1200 im not 100% sure but i dont think you can use them under sand anyway
cheers
paul biggrin.gif

#3 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

ahhh i see i wasnt shore because im not that good at clean my substarate lol so i was wonderin if there was a cleaner easier way for me to get rid of the fish dropings cheers for the advice is it more affective if you use a stone or gravel or marble
cheers ben

#4 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

yes they are personelly i dont like them did away with one on my misses tank and set up a cannister filter instead
hth
paul biggrin.gif

#5 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Do you like to just put the two tubes in or do you use some attachments like to know never used a cannister before lol went to melbourne and bought this baby brand new fro $120 jsut a lil bit cheaper ova there haha
cheers ben

#6 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

you should have a piece that looks like a cage that goes on your water in tube and then you should have a hollow tube with a series of hole in it that is your spray bar and that goes on water out tube dont put the spray bar to close to the intake or the cannister will suck air and not function properly
paul biggrin.gif

#7 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

tankhogs right you can use under gravel filters with sand your way better of with the canister filter

#8 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

ahhh yes i see thanks heaps paul youve helped me out prety well how do you get rid of your dropping can the like decompose themselves or do you have to do the dreaded cleaning of substrate.
Thanks once again ben

#9 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

the dreaded cleaning of substrate is the only way

#10 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

hahah i see benkie lol seems like ill be spending another hour cleaning it lol how many times like a month would you say you would clean the bottom like 1 or twice cheers guys really helpin me

#11 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

i do mine once a week some time once every two

#12 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

ok i see i have plenty of time on a sunday and its the least i could do for my beloved fish the smallest things can give the most enjoyment amzingly lol. Thank for all your help guys of to change the heads ova
cheers ben

#13 tankhog

tankhog
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

yes get yourself a gravel vac and thats the only way you can do it and with a tank that size and depending how many fish you are running you probably should be doing that with about a 25-30% water change atleast once a fortnight
paul biggrin.gif

#14 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Are the old gravel Vac

Think what the guys are saying is if you wish to keep a nice tank you will have to do some maint on it biggrin.gif

Having said that its no big drama part of the fun when done sit back and say that tank looks GREAT biggrin.gif

Regards Cobby

#15 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

yep you cant beat sucking s**t through a hose

#16 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

haha i suppose i can get a gravel vak from a lfs then what are the prices around like 40 buks i just got my membership so im realy happy with the 10% haha i dont mind cleaning it because the fish look awsome and happy when its hell nice and clean haha cheers guys nice to know that this forum has so many helpful people
cheers ben

#17 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

Ben anytime you need help i can allways help you out biggrin.gif

I personally have never understood undergravel, it allways shows the powerheads and the gunk goes into your undergravel then the poweheads shoot it up all over you tank??? I think the sand is kinda like your sponge and the water filters though it and fresh water is powered into you tank?

Your 1200 is perfect for the 4x2x2 as i said when you rang me while you wher buying it biggrin.gif :roll: it has to be 4x or so bigger than your tank a hour so that your water has a good flow. Does it come with a spray bar? If so try to position it on one side of the tank(right or left) so that it sprays to the other side, it gives the fish a bit of current.

Take some pictures as you go i can't wait to see it biggrin.gif Btw whats planned for this tank? I might have some limestone left from Michael you can have, he gave me a huge ammount biggrin.gif

#18 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

ahhhh good evening nic haha yes the filter did come with a spray bar a matter of fact it came with 2 lol. I would be more than pleased to get some of this limestone of you sounds very good indeed will have to pay you though. The fish i am planning to place in this tank is syndotis multipuncus, electric yellows, bristlenose, some red empress and hopefully if i can afford it some realy nice peppermint bristlenose or gold spot pleco's. Thanks guys this advice is realy great for someone who has never started up a 4ft tank. cheers ben

#19 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

yep you cant beat sucking s**t through a hose

Whats the prob Mate do you swollow 8O 8O

Regards Cobby

#20 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

Whats the prob Mate do you swollow

Did i miss something lol :wink: biggrin.gif :roll:

Nah ben if i got the Limestone for free why would i charge you lol biggrin.gif

Just keep your hands off my BN fry ahah biggrin.gif

So you going for more of a display tank?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users